Cold War GB 2018 Inspiration

Started by NARSES2, February 01, 2018, 05:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 02, 2018, 10:55:15 PM

The one Valom kit I have built (Lockheed XFV Salmon) was terrible.

Oh dear, I have one of them............  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

I've had their Airacuda part built for ages, craptastic in various ways with horrible
moulded on exhaust system slugs the worst issue, lumping great raised
excrescences.

Their early B-26 fuselage is off in numerous ways.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2018, 11:09:22 PM

Oh dear, I have one of them............  :o

Nothing you won't be able to overcome Kit.  However, if you can build the contra props using only the kit parts so that they are concentric AND rotate then I will eat your hat.   ;D

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on February 02, 2018, 01:35:41 AM
I've always thought the B-26 Marauder would be a good basis for an early jet, since it's quite 'modern' looking for WWII.

;)

PR19_Kit

Take a B-26 and a Lansen kit and leave them in a warm, dark room for a while.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 02, 2018, 11:48:42 PM
I've had their Airacuda part built for ages, craptastic in various ways with horrible
moulded on exhaust system slugs the worst issue, lumping great raised
excrescences.

Absolutely agree Jon and it is an aircraft I so much want a model of  :banghead:

To be fair some of their more recent stuff is a bit better quality wise, but prices are still  :o. Mind you there in may lie my next SIG Mag Editorial ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I've just got a copy of the 'RAF's Secret Jets of Cold War Britain', BAGS of scope in there!

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Going through the Secret Jets bookazine has had me up and down The Loft ladder like a yo-yo.  ;D

I keep on thinking 'Hm, I'm sure I've got a xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx stashed away somewhere' with which to build one of the amazing aircraft in there.

I quite like the various Canberra Fighters' that are mentioned and I have a handy Airiix B(I)8 to hand as well.

The Fairey Delta III is OK, but is beaten into a cocked hat by the HUMUNGUOUS Saunders Roe P.187. I just LOVE the P.187 but I have no idea how to build one as it's so huge, the real thing was almost 85 ft long!!!  :o

I suppose I could Scale-o-Rama a 1/72 scale SR53 to 1/144, but it needs to be done in the one True Scale really.

More browsing is required.........  ;)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 03, 2018, 11:07:44 PM

I quite like the various Canberra Fighters' that are mentioned and I have a handy Airiix B(I)8 to hand as well.

Yeah I've got a couple of the Freightdog conversions squirrelled away, as well as an Airfix B(I).8 and a PR.9. The idea (at the moment) is to use them for early and late versions, the Red Dean version being used as a temporary expedient to cover a delay in the production of higher-performance all-weather fighters.

Early version: B(I).8 base aircraft, radar, guns and 2" rocket pods on the wingtips, later updated to Firestreaks plus tip-tanks.

Late version: PR.9 base aircraft, radar, no guns (or guns in the wings, B-57 style?), rocket pack and Red Deans.

The Fairey Delta III is OK, but is beaten into a cocked hat by the HUMUNGUOUS Saunders Roe P.187. I just LOVE the P.187 but I have no idea how to build one as it's so huge, the real thing was almost 85 ft long!!!  :o

I suppose I could Scale-o-Rama a 1/72 scale SR53 to 1/144, but it needs to be done in the one True Scale really.

More browsing is required.........  ;)

Purely off the top of my head with no fact-checking, how about the centre fuselage of a 1/48th F-89 Scorpion? It's about the right size and gives you the flank-mounted engine configuration. Similarly, a 1/48th F-16 might provide the wings.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 04, 2018, 02:39:05 AM

Purely off the top of my head with no fact-checking, how about the centre fuselage of a 1/48th F-89 Scorpion? It's about the right size and gives you the flank-mounted engine configuration. Similarly, a 1/48th F-16 might provide the wings.

1/48?  :o

I'd need to take a Valium before even THINKING about getting a 1/48 kit. Anyway, I can't actually see models that are larger scale than 1/71th.

On Canberra things, where does one get Red Deans from? They look like 1/48 (!) Firestreaks in the book.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 04, 2018, 04:05:36 AM

I'd need to take a Valium before even THINKING about getting a 1/48 kit. Anyway, I can't actually see models that are larger scale than 1/71th.

On Canberra things, where does one get Red Deans from? They look like 1/48 (!) Firestreaks in the book.

Freightdog - they did the P.12 Canberra fighter with two Red Deans.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on February 04, 2018, 04:14:56 AM

Ah, I might have guessed.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip, I hope Colin still has some.

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 04, 2018, 04:14:56 AM

It's actually back in stock at the moment too: https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/military-products/military-aircraft-conversions/1-72-scale/freightdog-models/freightdog-1-72-ee-canberra-p-12-all-weather-fighter-project-conversion.html

Mind you, a P.187 would need Red Hebes rather than Red Deans, and they're so different that you might as well scratchbuild them anyway...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Just ordered the P.12 conversion.  :thumbsup:

Yes, the Red Hebe is positively HUGE!  Goodness knows what they were on when they thought it up, something pretty darn strong for sure.

I may invent my own missile type for one of these projects, Puce Hydrangea perhaps?

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 04, 2018, 04:42:42 AM
Just ordered the P.12 conversion.  :thumbsup:

Yes, the Red Hebe is positively HUGE!  Goodness knows what they were on when they thought it up, something pretty darn strong for sure.

I may invent my own missile type for one of these projects, Puce Hydrangea perhaps?

It's basically an air-to-air Exocet... :o

Since Red Herring's been done to death, you could always give it a nuclear warhead (seriously considered for Red Hebe) and call it White Elephant. Other suggestions might be Blue Nun (obviously what they were drinking at the time) or Yellow Snow... :wacko:

My F-89 hunch is about right:

F-89 fuselage length: 16.4 metres
P.187 fuselage length: 21.2 metres
1/48th F-89 scaleorama'd to 1/72nd: 24.6 metres

Bearing in mind that you'd want to prune quite a bit off the Scorpion's tail boom, that definitely in the ball park. Now the next things you need are two Art-Model MiG Ye-8s or Trumpy F-107s to nick the intakes from... (and you thought Thorvic the EKFG was expensively helpful... :wacko:)

- Indiana Jones