What cars would you like to see reborn?

Started by McColm, February 02, 2018, 12:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on June 10, 2023, 10:47:09 PMAs London England is becoming an EV /hybrid zone why not bring back the Hillman Imp. A range-extended version or even the Bubble Cars of the 1950s-1960s even the Bond Bug.

Not quite sure where you'd put the batteries in an Imp without reducing its luggage carrying capacity to zero.

And I write as someone who's built a whole Imp from scratch, well, from parts purchased from various 'factories' anyway.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2023, 05:04:28 AMNot quite sure where you'd put the batteries in an Imp without reducing its luggage carrying capacity to zero.

And I write as someone who's built a whole Imp from scratch, well, from parts purchased from various 'factories' anyway.  ;D

Well, you won't need a engine, transmission, prop shaft, or gas tank.  Sandwich the LiON or Lithium Iron Phosphate battery pack underneath the floorboard.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

scooter

Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on June 11, 2023, 05:12:19 AMWell, you won't need a engine, transmission, prop shaft, or gas tank.  Sandwich the LiON or Lithium Iron Phosphate battery pack underneath the floorboard.

You'd need some sort of transmission to get the drive from the motor to the twin axles. And putting ANYTHING under the floor of an Imp would run the risk of it hitting the ground, they're very low!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2023, 09:35:23 AM
Quote from: scooter on June 11, 2023, 05:12:19 AMWell, you won't need a engine, transmission, prop shaft, or gas tank.  Sandwich the LiON or Lithium Iron Phosphate battery pack underneath the floorboard.

You'd need some sort of transmission to get the drive from the motor to the twin axles. And putting ANYTHING under the floor of an Imp would run the risk of it hitting the ground, they're very low!

Something to ponder...but, during my googling, found this:

>>LINK<<
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

PR19_Kit

Yeah, I remember that 'see-thru' Imp.  :thumbsup:

The body shell  was made in the PDU (Plastics Development Unit) right next door to the R&D Structures Lab where I worked. After every Show they used it for it had to come back to be repaired as some part of the plastic ALWAYS cracked and needed fixing!

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Now I'm no fan of small English cars..fact I don't like small cars in general but  ;D 
On our neighbors farm their son had a Hillman Imp and we used to fang the hell out of it ..powersliding the thing all over the place which was a real skill cause man short cars don't like to slide ..they like to donut .
That car was pure fun 😄
And yes..the floor did have a couple of water exit holes in it..well after going thru a couple of places to fast it did  :wacko:
As Kit said...their quite low  ;)
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

McColm

I have a vague memory of having a ride in an Imp during my time at primary school , we they used to send us on field trips to Perivale Woods. I managed to catch a ride in one.  Someone has the remains of a rusty Imp in their front garden,  I pass it on the 486 bus to Bexley Shopping Centre when I go to the food bank in Welling Kent.

PR19_Kit

I've had 4-5 Imps of various sorts, one of which I did build myself while at Pressed Steel. New ones cost £650 or so at that time and mine cost me maybe £200, through buying an about to be scrapped prototype body, and all the rest of it from Rootes Competitions in Coventry. All of them we 'tried and tested' bits from their rally team cars, so were in good shape, just too tired for them to use. Result for me!

The others came over a few years, one of which was my drag race car, and the last was a Husky estate. I REALLY liked that, and I'd have another one now if I could a) find one and b) afford one!

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Bloke across the road has/had about 4 Zephyrs in his back yard & garage but I think he was using 2 or 3 to scavenge for parts for the 1 or 2 he was doing up.

Haven't seen them recently but none of the family cars are in their garage. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

One car I'd love to see brought back to life is the 1969 Opel GT .........but... :wacko:
This time around made wider and longer ..id keep the pro- file but stretch out to make it sleaker.
Also the benefits of extra length means ppl over 6ft would fit inside the bloody thing.
Making it wider just has benefits everywhere...room..performance and most importantly pure looks.
I'd even keep the flip over head lights. ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

scooter

Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on June 13, 2023, 10:43:25 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 13, 2023, 10:01:49 AMWhat engine would you have in it?

GM 3.8L V6? :wacko:

YEAH! That's a bigger version of the V6 I have in my Signum.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

No 3.8 ltr bullocks there laddies..5.0ltr Opel V8 ..detuned from a  DTM  race engine .