What cars would you like to see reborn?

Started by McColm, February 02, 2018, 12:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I did both sides, so 100 doors worth, talk about boring!

Just the CHANCE of riding in '35 Ford would be good, even if the door latches wouldn't pass the door latch regs! And I hate to think how you fit strong enough seat belt anchorages to a car that old!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 22, 2023, 02:21:52 AMAnd the Capri came with 6 cylinder engines, the Manta always had to make do with its ancestors' rather civic 4 cylinder powerplants.

Hence why I said "engine for engine"  My 2 ltr Manta would easily outrun and out handle any 2 ltr Capri, even slightly modified ones.  In fact the handling was that good (once tuned up) that it would out corner all hot hatches, and most rwd cars (as witnessed but an Astra GTE 16V, R5 GT turbo and a BMW E30)

The problem with the V6 Capris was it accentuated the already light back end.  Most people I know that had them, carried bags of cement (or similar) in the boot.

Mine, by the way, if I ever get a garage to rebuild it, will be getting the hallowed V6 (2.5l Vauxhall, tuned to 200bhp+)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on May 30, 2023, 04:30:40 AMMine, by the way, if I ever get a garage to rebuild it, will be getting the hallowed V6 (2.5l Vauxhall, tuned to 200bhp+)

Just what I have in my Signum, but mine's a 2.8 and 280 bhp.  ;D

[Big head mode off]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 29, 2023, 06:21:48 AMI did both sides, so 100 doors worth, talk about boring!

Just the CHANCE of riding in '35 Ford would be good, even if the door latches wouldn't pass the door latch regs! And I hate to think how you fit strong enough seat belt anchorages to a car that old!

It was a lovely car.  Flathead V8.  Mid Green with factory original lime green wire wheels.  It also had the original rod (or cable?) operated brakes which meant it didn't stop worth a damn.  Belonged to Mr z's cousin's bloke.  When they broke up I asked if we could keep him rather than her.  ;)
He also had a '35 coupe.  A California car with gorgeous patina and a worked on flathead, but no interior.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2023, 04:38:14 AM
Quote from: Devilfish on May 30, 2023, 04:30:40 AMMine, by the way, if I ever get a garage to rebuild it, will be getting the hallowed V6 (2.5l Vauxhall, tuned to 200bhp+)

The engine I have is out of my Calibra and it was rolling roaded at 183bhp stock (at the FW) I have the 3ltr cams for it which give 18bhp straight off, plus I have a few other tweaks I'd like to do, so I'm hoping for around 250bhp, unless I go the supercharged route....
Anyway, that in a car that barely weighs a tonne...
[Big head mode off]

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: Devilfish on May 30, 2023, 06:38:04 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 30, 2023, 04:38:14 AM

The engine I have is out of my Calibra and it was rolling roaded at 183bhp stock (at the FW) I have the 3ltr cams for it which give 18bhp straight off, plus I have a few other tweaks I'd like to do, so I'm hoping for around 250bhp, unless I go the supercharged route....
Anyway, that in a car that barely weighs a tonne...
[Big head mode off]
One rule Devil dude..always go the supercharger route  ;)
I've a mate down south who still has a 3.0ltr Capri..he's had it for over 30yrs now.
It's still a 3.0ltr but  ;D
It's now got a 3.0ltr out of a Jaguar ..Garrett 76mm turbo..makes a easy 550hp ..as you can imagine it's tuned to perfection..it's his weekend car now ..he uses a XR6 turbo Ford Falcon as his daily now..that makes more than 700hp..so easy with that car to make that power as it's possible to make a 1000hp from that engine.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

jcf

Quote from: Rheged on May 28, 2023, 11:55:18 AMLitigation is much more common in some countries than in UK.  An instance of this :-

A woman in USA successfully sued a fast food outlet because the take-out coffee she had bought had scalded her as she drove along holding it between her thighs.      An attempt was made to sue the same company  for the same reason  in the UK. The outcome was that the case failed, and the driver ended up being prosecuted for driving without due care and attention.
Yeah, that's not what happened, her grandson was the driver, the car was parked and the coffee spilled as she tried to remove the lid to add cream and sugar. She received second and third degree burns on more than 16% of her body, including her inner thighs, genitals, and buttocks where the skin was burned down to the layers of muscle and fatty tissue. Stella was hospitalized for 8 days and her recovery took over two years. She was permanently disfigured.

Her lawyers tried repeatedly to settle, originally for $20,000, McDonald's offered $800. They kept refusing to settle even after the case went to trial.

At the time of the incident Mickie D's policy required the restaurants to serve the coffee at temperatures between 180 and 190ºF (82-89ºC). Most restaurants and fast-food joints kept their coffee at 160ºF. Over 700 people had complained to the company about injury and damage caused by the excessively hot coffee before Stella was scalded.

The corporation knew it was an issue and wouldn't do anything about it. After the suit was brought the tossers backeda disinformation campaign against the woman using the exact narrative you just repeated.

BTW, Stella was born in Norwich in 1912, she was 79 at the time of her injury.

The big UK case was a class action suit and I doubt anybody was prosecuted for "driving without due care and attention" as it concerned spillage of hot drinks in the restaurant burning children, not adults driving cars.

perttime

Quote from: Devilfish on May 30, 2023, 04:30:40 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 22, 2023, 02:21:52 AMAnd the Capri came with 6 cylinder engines, the Manta always had to make do with its ancestors' rather civic 4 cylinder powerplants.

Hence why I said "engine for engine"  My 2 ltr Manta would easily outrun and out handle any 2 ltr Capri, even slightly modified ones.  ...
...Mine, by the way, if I ever get a garage to rebuild it, will be getting the hallowed V6 (2.5l Vauxhall, tuned to 200bhp+)
Facebook showed me an Opel electric concept car, based on Manta A. At least it has the shape of the original Manta.
https://www.opel.com/concept-cars/manta-gse-elektromod.html

Devilfish

I did think about a Jag motor.  My daily is a Jag XF 3.0d, twin turbo, 330bhp, and about 700Nm of torque.  For a nearly 2 tonne car, it's seriously quick.  Of course, if I have the money to buy a supercharged 3.0, I'll save a bit more and get a sc 5.0....

PR19_Kit

LOVELY car, an XF! I rented one for a week once, superb.

If I won the lottery I'd get an XF Sportbrake I think, my ideal car.

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 01, 2023, 12:22:53 AMLOVELY car, an XF! I rented one for a week once, superb.

If I won the lottery I'd get an XF Sportbrake I think, my ideal car.

Yea, my wife says when I get a new one (hopefully an XJR) she want this one.  Unfortunately premium cars come with premium bills.  Intercooler's split and I'm look at the thick end of £800.  Also found a bulge in a tyre, and a "cheap" decent make (Michelin) is £175 (on offer). 
But I still love it!  Quiet, comfortable and still a rocketship when needs be!

thundereagle1997

The entire Holden brand for Australia Daewoo for Korea, SAAB motor company for Sweden, Geo for Japan, Envoy for Europe, Passport & Asuna for Canada, Acadian Beaumont, Oakland, Viking, Marquette, LaSalle, Bedford, Pontiac, Saturn, Oldsmobile, & Alpheon for the United States of America, & most of all HOLDEN & HSV for Australia all electric powered with rugged simplicity, high reliability excellent safety, perfect handling & manuvering, & excellent efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVnoiQ2I4XA
Similar to what Dodge is doing with its electric cars.

McColm

As London England is becoming an EV /hybrid zone why not bring back the Hillman Imp. A range-extended version or even the Bubble Cars of the 1950s-1960s even the Bond Bug.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on June 10, 2023, 10:47:09 PMthe Bubble Cars of the 1950s-1960s

Had a mate who had a bubble car back in the day. He was in the Upper 5th at school and as you could drive them on a motor bike licence (with the reverse locked) he used to give me a lit to school in it.

Still remember the Frankie Howard joke about how in the future there would be loads of skeletons discovered still in their cars where they'd driven up against the wall of a garage and couldn't get out  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.