Martin Baker Long Ranger NF.1

Started by kitnut617, February 05, 2018, 01:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Here's a few of them. Interestingly the second one has the smaller fin that it started off with, but the other two have the taller fin.

Maybe they tried it with and without doors at various times in its life?

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Thanks Kit, I see what you mean. Looking at the top pic, it does look like the fuselage end of the bay is straight and runs parallel with the fuselage sides though.  This little discussion has jogged my memory, I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was issues with the inner doors opening while in flight, during high maneuvers or something like that.

The MB6 kit comes with both those fin/rudder options, also there's some very small horizontal tail surfaces too, I don't think I've ever seen any photos depicting that option.

It's interesting that Martin Baker's original design philosophy on their earlier projects was to have the fuselage act as the fin and they didn't have a fin at all. But by the time the MB5 came along, their fin/rudder was the biggest used on any single engine fighter.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

I think those smaller options are for the first flight.  They got enlarged after that.

There was also talk by AZ of an MB3 at some point.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

So this is the idea with my camo, I'm trying to replicate what I've seen while traveling by plane at night. I thought it would make a good scheme. I still have to give it another coat but this was to see if I could do what the idea was.

PR19_Kit

Now THAT'S different, to say the least.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The story is that after RAE evaluated some of the schemes they found on captured German night fighters, they decided to experiment themselves. This was one that was trialed but then wasn't repainted after the aircraft was released for squadron service because it proved to be quite effective.  The disruptive pattern is just on the top side, the grey on the top and bottom being MSG. The dark colour is H181.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2018, 10:24:07 AM
Now THAT'S different, to say the least.

Yup and it's got something about it as well  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Thanks guys ----

paint has been cleaned up, and painted the canopy frame too.

Old Wombat

Very interesting paint scheme! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

However, I'm not sure about the grey; a lighter green, sand or earth colour would look better, to me anyway. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

The grey is what late war night fighters had Guy, I just haven't used the dark green they got for a disruptive colour. It's basically an attempt to replicate what I've seen looking out of plane windows at night.

Here's some pics of the finished RP's I'm putting on it.

So it's on the 'final leg', attaching all the little bits and pieces and then onto the decals

TheChronicOne

That is awesome.... I love the paint job.  I'm going to have to try to replicate something like that in the future.

The plane itself is very cool, too!!  Very nice work!
-Sprues McDuck-

kitnut617

Thanks TC1

So all the bits & bobs are on, and it's all painted. Here's some pics of it before I apply the decals.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617