Martin Baker Long Ranger NF.1

Started by kitnut617, February 05, 2018, 01:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

I'm in a GB over on the Beyond the Sprues Forum. It's called "Allied '46".  I decided to do the AZ Models MB6 night fighter but having looked at it I saw that some things would need to be changed.  The cockpit as far as I can see is way too cramped, I looked at one of my Meteor Mk.11's to see what it had and saw that there's not enough room in the rear cockpit of the MB6 for all the equipment that was used back them. So I'm changing how long the cockpit will be. I'm also going to change the engine to a Napier Sabre, a Sabre VIII to be specific with a contra-prop with two 4-blade propellers. Changing the wing tanks too.

I'm sorry but I can't post pics here as I've not sorted out what I want to do on that front, but here's a link to my build.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7710.msg137156#msg137156
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Looking good mate.

Only problem is that I think you have to be signed in over there to see the pics ? I couldn't until I signed in for sure.

If you want e-mail them to me and I'll post them for you ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 06, 2018, 07:06:44 AM
Looking good mate.

Only problem is that I think you have to be signed in over there to see the pics ? I couldn't until I signed in for sure.

If you want e-mail them to me and I'll post them for you ?

Chris

Oops! forgot to mention that to view photos you have to be registered on the forum.

Thanks Chris, I'll take you up on that but I'll get it built first so you don't have to use all your space showing in-progress photos.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

PR19_Kit

Yes, that works OK, and it certainly looks interesting.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Do they show as pictures Kit, or is it just the link that you can see.

PR19_Kit

If you highlight the link and then click on the 'Image' icon above it works fine.

I'll do that for all three in a second.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

So a bit of the story.

The MB5 is a big aircraft, and I've always thought the Griffon engine installation always looked a bit lost in it. I mean it doesn't look very big in the aircraft. And then knowing that the MB5 was a development of the MB3 which was Napier Sabre powered. I've always wanted to convert one of the MB5's I have into a Sabre powered version (and I'm pretty certain that it would have had to be an option, the Sabre and the Centaurus).

This kit of AZ Models MB6 was a perfect opportunity to do one. My thoughts were what with all the extra weight it has to carry, a more powerful engine would be needed, so for this build it will be powered by a Sabre VIII. Which was the contra=prop variant of the Sabre VII, both of which were 3000+hp engines. I've read that some Sabre VII's were bench-tested to 5500hp, so for a production version of it I'm saying about 4000hp.

kitnut617

Thanks Kit for the tip, tried it in the post I did with the links I attached

kitnut617

OK so the cowling I'm using I actually made for another project. This was the Sabre VII powered Hawker Fury prototype. I found that the cross-section at the engine bulkhead/engine mounting point are very close to being the same for both aircraft which makes the conversion simple.

Here's the cowling I made up using a Tempest Mk.I conversion with some added bits. Attaching it to the MB6 was just a case of shortening it a bit. I made it the same length as the Griffon Cowling I had cut off.  The slope to the top of the cowling I had made, matches the slope on the Griffon slope almost exactly.

The contra-prop I've made up using DH Hornet props. The Hornet spinner is smaller than a Tempest spinner so I modified a Tempest spinner to fit over one of the Hornet spinners and glued it in place. I then carefully hollowed out the other Hornet spinner so it would fit snuggly over the Tempest spinner.  What you end up with is a nice transition from one spinner to the other.

kitnut617

When I first looked at the AZ kit I wondered why they has chosen to position the rear cockpit where they did. There's only just enough room for the operator let alone the radar equipment usually installed in the instrument panel.

Here's how the instructions say to install the rear cockpit tub

I didn't like that, so I've changed it. First I raised it up so it's level with the front tub, and then lengthened the opening to allow for some gear to go in. I've used some bits from a Matchbox Meteor Mk.11.

I found a longer canopy in my spares box but used the windshield from the kit (after I cut it off that is). I used a bit of drop tank for the rear fairing.

PR19_Kit

You can never have enough M'box Meteor kits.  ;D

And I bet the GIB is very grateful for you in giving him some leg room.  ;)

Is that canopy from a Phantom? It's got the little tri-angular section in the middle.

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

That's looking sharp there, keep up the great work.