Martin Baker Long Ranger NF.1

Started by kitnut617, February 05, 2018, 01:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on February 22, 2018, 08:21:51 PM
Quote from: Weaver on February 22, 2018, 06:46:11 PM
Glad they were useful. The triplex rocket reminds me of an idea I had for a UK equivalent of Genie that would use three Firestreak bodies for the motors.

There was another project for an anti-ship rocket called Uncle Tom that used six 3" motors. It led on to the Red Angel anti-ship weapon under development in the late 1950s, however I don't think either entered service.

Are there any pictures of the Red Angel?

There are pictures and drawings of Red Angel and Uncle Tom in BSP-4 (Hypersonics and Missiles) but I can't find them online I'm afraid.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Got all the nicks and such filled in and now started with the paint. Medium Sea Grey for the main coat.

I've also discovered that AZ Models haven't allowed for the radiator duct outlet, because even when the flap is in the closed position, there should still be an opening.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

The only one that did was Skybirds.  The Pegasus one didn't, neither does the Falcon vacform. Can't comment on the Airframe vacform, or the old CMK kit (copied Pegasus but more likely vice versa), nor the Planet one.  Unsure of Magna kit.

Most kit manufacturers who've done it have ignored it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitnut617

Thanks for that Lee, the Airframe one didn't either, I had to look at reference drawings to see what was needed.  I had a look at the Falcon kits I have and yes, I see they haven't done anything with it. As an aside, I did a comparison with the AZ and Falcon kits --- they're very close to being the same.

The Wooksta!

I wouldn't be surprised if the AZ master started life as a Falcon vacform. 

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Thanks Todd.

Another disappointment with the AZ kit, they have got the undercarriage all wrong. They have it fitting so that it ends up perpendicular to the wing, it's supposed to have the legs angled forward so the center of the wheel is under the wing leading edge when the aircraft is level with the ground (not sitting on it's tail wheel). The angle is 21 degrees to the aircraft datum line.  To get it right I've had to chisel off all that nice detail off the half moon door, cut the leg at the top so I can glue that in place in the wing, then drill out the top bit and the leg so I can insert a bent piece of wire to set the u/c legs at the right angle.  Not a happy bunny -----    :angry: :angry: :angry:

On the other hand, the main wheels look like a dead ringer to the Matchbox Tempest wheels so look very good.

PR19_Kit

I noticed that error when I built the Monsoooooon Reno racer, but can't remember how I fixed it.

The model's about 2 ft deep in a foam carrying box now so I won't be getting out all that soon..........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

They probably are direct copies!  AZ have form for that - parts of their Spitfires are direct lifts from Tamiya and Airfix.

TBH, they would have been better off copying the Heller or Academy Tempest wheels which have better detail, especially the rear hub.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

Don't get me wrong though, I applaud AZ for manufacturing the MB5, and a lot of these whiffs-out-of-the-box kits. But some of the details are well known and can be found easily on the internet.

The Wooksta!

I've a feeling that despite it's recent release, the MB5 is one of their older kits.  IIRC, one of the AZ guys said that they'd started a master for the MB5 around the same time they were working on their abortion of a Spiteful.

My feelings regarding the two seat MB5 are well known.  I'd much rather they kitted something that actually flew (a Hawker Henley or IAe Calquinn) rather than a figment of imagination dreamt up by some random gadgy on t'interweb.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 26, 2018, 07:02:55 AM
  I'd much rather they kitted something that actually flew (a Hawker Henley or IAe Calquinn) rather than a figment of imagination dreamt up by some random gadgy on t'interweb.

Says the one who has a Haunebu

kitnut617

Found another glaring error with the kit. No in-board wheel bay doors ---- in fact the bay at the wheel end is not supposed to be round, it has a squared off end which runs parallel with the fuselage side.

Here you can see what I mean, I've modified the left side in this picture to be as it should, I'll have to make up some doors which are easy enough.

You can also see where I've had to modify the u/c location stubs and make up the radiator exit door.

PR19_Kit

The MB5 didn't have those inner doors all the time, many pics show it without them, but I'm not sure if they were added or deleted later in its life.

See here for lots of pics, some with doors, but most without.

Darn it, the page loads from my saved page link, but it won't copy and paste.  :banghead:

I'll copy some doorless pics for you if you want them Robert.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Thanks Kit --

As there was only one MB5 made, the wheel bays should still be with the squared off ends though, whether the inner doors are on or not.