Martin Baker Long Ranger NF.1

Started by kitnut617, February 05, 2018, 01:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

WOW!!!
I am liking this Robert, ww2 era stuff doesn't usually float my boat but this is cool.
I can see one of these in service as a C.O.I.N or F.A.C. bird for my Honduras Air Force. Maybe even an upgrade version with a turbine driving the contra props.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Thanks Chris, this weekend after I get the decals on, I'll take some photos of it outside in the sun.

Guy (old Wombat) has come up with a use for it, raiding Norwegian fjords. I'm thinking of expanding on that, deep into the interior and further up the coast.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 08, 2018, 02:30:26 AM

Guy (old Wombat) has come up with a use for it, raiding Norwegian fjords. I'm thinking of expanding on that, deep into the interior and further up the coast.

I can see that camouflage suiting those latitudes, especially over land.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

So here it is finished, but even as I was applying the decals I had problems. The roundel blue on the kit's sheet is too blue. Also I'm pretty sure the roundels for the top of the wing wouldn't have had the white in them as it was still war time.  I substituted the roundels and fin flash for some off a Freightdog sheet I have for Spitfires.

TheChronicOne

Righteously awesome!   I love it... it turned out great!!!!    :wub: :wub: :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

The Wooksta!

Type C1 roundels were in use for transports.  Aircraft in 2TAF got them in late '44, with a yellow surround to them from early '45.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

Very nice.  I think you'd have a mix of roundel styles during wartime.  Depends on when they aircraft came into service.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

The colour scheme is gorgeous: it looks like it's been painted by Roger Dean!  :wub: :thumbsup:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Thanks very much everyone, it's been awhile since I've actually manage to finish a project.

Quote from: rickshaw on March 11, 2018, 07:08:15 PM
Very nice.  I think you'd have a mix of roundel styles during wartime.  Depends on when they aircraft came into service.   :thumbsup:

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 11, 2018, 05:07:19 PM
Type C1 roundels were in use for transports.  Aircraft in 2TAF got them in late '44, with a yellow surround to them from early '45.

I looked in my copy of the Sharp/Bowyer book on Mosquitos and looked at some profiles of late war night fighters, they do have the yellow & white ring around the fuselage roundel but not on the wing tops. As I've done my Long Ranger for an Allied '46 (or later) GB on the BTS forum I decided that the yellow ring was deleted by then. 

NARSES2

Oh my the transfers really do take it to the finish line in style.

Lovely build  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

That's looking weird (not meant in a negative way) and sexy!  :thumbsup:

That really makes me wonder about a turboprop transplant, I have an MB5 in the stahs, too, as well as at least one leftover resin C-130 engine...  :rolleyes:

kitnut617

Thanks Chris --

I'm thinking of adding a couple more decals later but I have to get some first so might be a while. I'm thinking a couple of ship 'kill' symbols under the German aircraft ones, I like the idea Guy (Old Wombat) came up with about raiding shipping up the Norwegian fjords so a ship or two, maybe a sub' wouldn't look out of place.

But for now, I'm calling this build done.

kitnut617

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 12, 2018, 07:29:59 AM
That's looking weird (not meant in a negative way) and sexy!  :thumbsup:

That really makes me wonder about a turboprop transplant, I have an MB5 in the stahs, too, as well as at least one leftover resin C-130 engine...  :rolleyes:

Thanks Dizzy --

It really depends on which turbo shaft you'd use. In my back story, the Sabre I'm using here is a nearly 4000 hp variant, so something in that power range would be good I think.  The Allison T56 is a bit late for the time line I'm using, it first flying in 1954.