Veron solid kits

Started by McColm, February 11, 2018, 08:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
Has anyone built any of the Veron solid kits?
These were wooden carved models with plastic accessories manufactured in Bournemouth England UK.
Any information would be grateful as I have bought the 1/72 Vickers Valiant for a crisp twenty pound note on line and I'm waiting for the parcel to arrive.

PR19_Kit

Ye gods, Veron solids!  :o

That's what started me in aircraft modelling in the early 50s.

I hope you know what you're letting yourself in for as they're all balsa, and need LOTS of carving and sanding etc. A Valiant in 1/72 will be a LOT of wood, and you'll lend up knee deep in shavings and sanding stuff.

Best of luck.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks Kit, I did woodwork at school. I intended to become a cabinet maker but was sidetracked into the French Polishing side. To keep my hand in. I do the occasional restoration project.

JayBee

Ye Gods. Veron solid scale kits.
I had one once, if memory serves correctly it was a SAAB Lansen, but I never did get it built.
However the bug was there and I subsequently built a Foland Midge and a Westland S-55 Whirlwind. Both from Balsa and both from the three view drawings in The Observers Book of Aircraft. They were built to the size of the three view drawings that are in the book! My eyesight was a lot better then.
Then I later built a 1/48 scale one based on a drawing in Aeromodeller magazine, the Currie Wot.
I still have it hidden away in the loft.

"Old" Jim

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on February 11, 2018, 10:20:07 AM

Thanks Kit, I did woodwork at school. I intended to become a cabinet maker but was sidetracked into the French Polishing side. To keep my hand in. I do the occasional restoration project.

You've got all the right talents then. I'd like to see pics of the kit when you get it, a whole 'new' world.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Well I have been up the loft and here is the Currie Wot.
It was a British home built aircraft designed by an aircraft engineer, John Currie, at least I think his first name was John!
He was in charge of a number of apprentices where he worked who asked him "Wot you gonna call it?" his reply, apparently, was "Call it Wot you like". The name stuck.

I have been up the loft and here she is.
That is a six inch ruller in front and remember this is 1/48scale.
A few plastic bits were used. The prop is 1/72 and is from a FROG Magister. The wheels have no known provenance. The pilot is from a Merit 1/48 WW1 kit, I can not remember what one, but I suspect it was  a Neiport 17.

Please remember when looking at these phots that this model has spent some considerable time in my various lofts, and is a bit dusty.
Also this was built some 55 years ago!

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

It's amazing that it still exists Jim! Well done indeed, that's a fine piece of work.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

McColm

Great build,
AlleyCat provides the 1/72 improvement sets for the Airfix Vickers Valiant. I'm not too sure whether these would work on the Mach2 model, I know that they do with the vacform kit.

DogfighterZen

Love the color and i'd say it's looking very good for it's age. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 11, 2018, 12:01:45 PM
It's amazing that it still exists Jim! Well done indeed, that's a fine piece of work.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agreed!!I wish I could find early builds as good as this.   WOT a fine piece of work
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

I never thought I'd see a model of a Currie Wot, but there it is! How cool!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

McColm

Judging by these comments there should be an alternative to plastic, resin and vacform group build proposal put forward to the committee :banghead:

jcf

Here's your chance to do the Lansen:

;D ;D :wacko:

From the plan pages at Solid Model Memories:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/index.php?cat=2

PR19_Kit

Carving with all those profiles, grooooaaaaannnnnnn.  :banghead:

I'm SO glad I build with styrene now.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit