ISR Conversion Help

Started by Squizzette, February 15, 2018, 03:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squizzette

G'day all.

I'm currently wrestling with the idea of doing a light aircraft to ISR aircraft conversion in 1/72 scale. The inspiration came to me while reading a recent story about some Cessna Caravans being converted to ISR work by a US company but I'm having trouble finding any detail sets of accessories or sensors or even light weapons that might work and I'd say it's mostly due to the fact that my interwebbing skills are rubbish.

The kind of thing I'm looking for is what you might find on a drone or light helo. The cameras and radar and/or other antenna arrays and some of the weapons. At the moment it looks like I may just have to try to find some cheap 1/72 drone or helo kits and steal the gear from them but I was hoping there may be some suitable sets out there.

Oh, the aircraft to get the makeover will be an Airfix Starter Set Beagle Basset (B.206) that I seem to have acquired recently so I'll need to do a little cockpit work as well. Updated glass cockpit with an operator station in the back at least I suspect.

Any suggestions appreciated. It'll be my first attempt at a whiff beyond a fairly simple "Nation change"

Squizz

Edit: Ahem...note to self.....try "1/72 exterior detail sets" you pelican!!   :banghead:
"So many ideas, so little talent" ;)

sandiego89

The 1/72 Reaper drone kits seem to be a good place to garb some stuff from, but they seem pricy at around $25 US.

I would recommend a Hobby Boss or Airfix Ah-64 Apache with a good fit of sensors, hellfires etc. if you want US weapons/sensors.  Kits are available and less expensive.  The Revell snap tight is even cheaper, but might be too toy like. 

OV-10 Bronco kits are readily available as well, and come with a good set of lighter rockets etc.   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on February 15, 2018, 10:22:54 PM
ISR  :unsure: ??

Gondor

Second that.  Please don't assume we all know the initialisations and acronyms.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on February 15, 2018, 11:28:34 PM
Quote from: Gondor on February 15, 2018, 10:22:54 PM
ISR  :unsure: ??

Gondor

Second that.  Please don't assume we all know the initialisations and acronyms.

Thirded! :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

Thanks Nils.  We can all do that.  But it might be nice if we don't have to.

Please and thank you.

:mellow:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Ah, it's a recce plane then.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I wasn't having a go by the way.  Just making a reminder.  We all do this and we shouldn't.

Fred

Scotaidh

There is a 1/72 kit of a Cessna O-2 out there.  It can be built either civvie or military.  There are a few light-weight underwing stores - two podded miniguns, and a pair of small rocket pods, if I recall correctly.  Rather limited, but then the carrying weight of a Caravan isn't much by military standards, anyway. 

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Weaver

Quote from: Scotaidh on February 17, 2018, 03:25:14 AM
There is a 1/72 kit of a Cessna O-2 out there.  It can be built either civvie or military.  There are a few light-weight underwing stores - two podded miniguns, and a pair of small rocket pods, if I recall correctly.  Rather limited, but then the carrying weight of a Caravan isn't much by military standards, anyway.

The Airfix O-2 is rare now and goes for collectors' money if it's in a sealed blister pack or a Dogfight Double (with a MiG-21: go figure...). I've had more luck picking up the civilian Arii/Eidai 337 Skymaster (same kit, different boxes) which could be militarized easily enough. Only the O-2s' glass door would be difficult, but then real armed 337s, such at the Rhodesian ones for example, didn't have that anyway.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

The ARII kit has the extra windows in the door, but I think it just has the fixed landing gear?
A nice detail of the Rhodesian machines were the overwing machine gun pods, leaving the underwing pylons free for other stores.

Weaver

Squizzaa: can you wait a bit? The reason I ask is that I'm going to buy the Alley Cat Basler Turbo-67 (turbo'd Dakota) conversion. I was going to buy the basic conversion (no decals or extras) for £17.50, but I could upgrade to the Mauretanian one, which includes a FLIR turret for £20. I could then send you the FLIR turret at cost: £2.50 plus whatever the postage is from the UK.

You'd have to wait because:

a) I haven't got the new Airfix Dak yet. I'm trying to avoid paying over the odds for it, so this might involve several rounds of failed Ebaying and model show searches before I get one, and I won't order the Alley Cat bits until I've succeeded.

b) Alley Cat aren't the fastest to ship...

Up to you - please let me know.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 17, 2018, 05:56:21 AM
The ARII kit has the extra windows in the door, but I think it just has the fixed landing gear?
A nice detail of the Rhodesian machines were the overwing machine gun pods, leaving the underwing pylons free for other stores.

Just had a look at the Eidai one, which, as far as I know, is the same as the Arii one:

You're right about the undercarriage: sprung struts with spatted wheels.

You're kinda right about the door window. It's on the clear sprue, but there's no marking on the fuselage half to cut it out and no mention of it in the instructions. It's an oddball shape too, so cutting it out wouldn't be straightforward. IIRC, there was also a military version of this kit, so perhaps it had the same clear sprue but different fuselage mouldings?

Another thing unique to the Airfix one is the psy-ops loudspeakers you can have on the fuselage sides: they'd be pretty easy to scratch though.

Yes the Rhodesian MG fit is cool as hell... :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones