Airbus Sea Atlas MPRA400

Started by McColm, February 17, 2018, 08:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Cargo planes have been used in the maritime surveillance role, so it only makes sense that the Airbus A400M should be whiffed  in something similar to the Lockheed Martin SC-130 Sea Herc MPRA proposal.
My idea is to use the Revell  1/72 kit with parts from the Airfix HS/BAe Nimrod or the equivalent vacform set to create a double fuselage similar to the Atlantic and Nimrod. This would house the weapons bay(s).  Additional equipment carried on underwing pylons.
I haven't decided whether to keep the engines from the kit or go with 4 jet engines or even change the wing as the Revell/Matchbox Victor and Airfix Valiant wings fit.
With the gear up, the weapons bay doors could be displayed in the open position.

AS.12

Airliners tend to make good MPA conversions, either straight modifications of smaller types ( F27 & CN235 ) or redesigns of larger ones ( Nimrod, Orion, Poseidon ).

But transports tend to have big tactical-type wings and lots of empty air inside big draggy cabins, which makes them less attractive as MPAs.  The Herk is a good example, despite the MPA option being available for 40+ years I can only think of the US Coast Guard and Malaysia which used them in maritime roles.  Perhaps also Argentina, but that was a wartime exigency.

TallEng

You wouldn't need a double bubble fuselage, you've already got more volume inside the cargo area than the Nimrod, Orion and Poseidon put together. How about using a modular system to convert your Transport into an MPA?
Just roll two or three pallets already loaded with the necessary Flat screen TVs, Playstations and X-boxes or whatever it is they use on a Modern MPA, connect up the electrics via umbilical cords and your ready. Still leaves the rest of the cargo area to carry a shed load of stuff to chuck out the back door (for big stuff) or the side doors for small stuff.
Possibly convert one of the side doors to enable launching of sonar buoys through a Shute? Don't know what sort of weaponry you where thinking of using, but I'm sure there'd be room for it somewhere.
And when you've finished clearing the High Seas of pirates etc, you can re-role back to a Tactical Transport, ready to drop paratroopers or Aid packages as you require. :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

McColm

PR19_Kit

That ruddy A400M is difficult enough to build on its own without making ,life even MORE difficult by grafting an extra fuselage onto the bottom of it!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 18, 2018, 09:19:44 AM
That ruddy A400M is difficult enough to build on its own without making ,life even MORE difficult by grafting an extra fuselage onto the bottom of it!  :banghead:
I thought it might solve a few of the problems by hiding them.