South Cheshire Show 2018 PICTURES!

Started by Weaver, February 18, 2018, 12:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scooterman on February 26, 2018, 07:16:17 AM

I spy a long winged, blue painted, GNAT??!?!?

You certainly do, it's one of H's absolute tour de forces.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

The original thread will be suffering from the Botophucket Pox, so here you go. it's the old Airfix kit with wings from a godawful snap-together 747 in 1/yeah-right scale:

Spackman Aerospace was formed in the early 1960s, initially to conduct aerodynamic research and develop equipment for high-altitude flight. However, a shortage of available aircraft on which to test the company's products led the company to seek an economical testbed aircraft of their own. The opportunity came when they became aware, through their service contacts, of an RAF Gnat trainer whose wing had been damaged beyond repair when a ground vehicle ran into it. The airframe was duly acquired and fitted with a pair radically different wings of the company's own  design.

The High Altitude Testbed, or H.A.T. as it is more commonly known, has subsequently served for many years on a variety of projects, the details of which the company are not at liberty to discuss due to commercial confidentiality and contractual restrictions, and this has led to much ill-informed speculation which the company are at pains to dismiss. The aircraft has only ever been used for civilian and commercial purposes and never as a plausibly deniable surveillance asset by Her Majesty's Government. The canopy is painted white purely to reduce solar heating in the cockpit and not, as has been claimed, to conceal the nature of equipment installed in place of the former rear seat. The dielectric areas on the nose, wings and tail are for precision navigation equipment so that the aircraft is always exactly sure of it's location for safety reasons, and the pods sometimes seen under the wings are part of an air sampling project conducted in partnership with the University of Cheltenham. These pods do feature areas of dielectric material, but purely to avoid static electricity charges interfering with the collection of delicate pollen samples.

Although Spackman Aerospace does occasionally undertake work abroad for foreign governments, this is always strictly in compliance with HM government regulations and the company never operates near conflict zones or in areas of political controversy. However, the similarity of the H.A.T. to a standard Gnat has lead to many erroneous sighting reports from areas of the world where the aircraft has categorically never operated. Areas that the H.A.T. definitely hasn't been seen in include Cyprus in 1967 and 1973, Southern Chile in 1982, Barbados in 1983, Southern Turkey  in 1991 and 2003, Austria in 1991, various parts of Italy in 1992, 1995 and 2011, Northern Greece in 1998 and  Uzbekistan in 2007. Despite the fact that only one aircraft was ever built, scrupulous maintenance and a huge stock of spare parts have kept it serviceable for a remarkable 40 year career.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I especially like the list of places the H.A.T has NEVER operated over........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

Thanks for sharing - some inspiration there! :thumbsup:

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2018, 09:07:03 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I especially like the list of places the H.A.T has NEVER operated over........  ;)

Yes, given that the number of places something hasn't been is potentially infinite, it's an oddly specific list, isn't it?  :angel:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on February 27, 2018, 04:38:57 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2018, 09:07:03 PM

Yes, given that the number of places something hasn't been is potentially infinite, it's an oddly specific list, isn't it?  :angel:

Well, HMG wouldn't want any scurrilous rumours to be spreading, would they?  ;)

Regards
Kit

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Weaver on February 26, 2018, 05:12:51 PM

The original thread will be suffering from the Botophucket Pox, so here you go. it's the old Airfix kit with wings from a godawful snap-together 747 in 1/yeah-right scale:

Spackman Aerospace was formed in the early 1960s, initially to conduct aerodynamic research and develop equipment for high-altitude flight. However, a shortage of available aircraft on which to test the company's products led the company to seek an economical testbed aircraft of their own. The opportunity came when they became aware, through their service contacts, of an RAF Gnat trainer whose wing had been damaged beyond repair when a ground vehicle ran into it. The airframe was duly acquired and fitted with a pair radically different wings of the company's own  design.

The High Altitude Testbed, or H.A.T. as it is more commonly known, has subsequently served for many years on a variety of projects, the details of which the company are not at liberty to discuss due to commercial confidentiality and contractual restrictions, and this has led to much ill-informed speculation which the company are at pains to dismiss. The aircraft has only ever been used for civilian and commercial purposes and never as a plausibly deniable surveillance asset by Her Majesty's Government. The canopy is painted white purely to reduce solar heating in the cockpit and not, as has been claimed, to conceal the nature of equipment installed in place of the former rear seat. The dielectric areas on the nose, wings and tail are for precision navigation equipment so that the aircraft is always exactly sure of it's location for safety reasons, and the pods sometimes seen under the wings are part of an air sampling project conducted in partnership with the University of Cheltenham. These pods do feature areas of dielectric material, but purely to avoid static electricity charges interfering with the collection of delicate pollen samples.

Although Spackman Aerospace does occasionally undertake work abroad for foreign governments, this is always strictly in compliance with HM government regulations and the company never operates near conflict zones or in areas of political controversy. However, the similarity of the H.A.T. to a standard Gnat has lead to many erroneous sighting reports from areas of the world where the aircraft has categorically never operated. Areas that the H.A.T. definitely hasn't been seen in include Cyprus in 1967 and 1973, Southern Chile in 1982, Barbados in 1983, Southern Turkey  in 1991 and 2003, Austria in 1991, various parts of Italy in 1992, 1995 and 2011, Northern Greece in 1998 and  Uzbekistan in 2007. Despite the fact that only one aircraft was ever built, scrupulous maintenance and a huge stock of spare parts have kept it serviceable for a remarkable 40 year career.

Love this plane!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.