Westland Wyvern F1A

Started by zenrat, February 24, 2018, 01:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 10, 2018, 01:09:51 AM

Well, I thought you should know but, well, age does unspeakable things to the memory. ;) :P

Yes, but you forget you should know. You remember you've forgotten something, or probably forgotten something, but as to what it was/is ???????

You just wait until you really are an "Old" Wombat. Mind you by the time you get there you'll have forgotten you said/typed it  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

I do not remember what you are talking about.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

TallEng

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 09, 2018, 04:58:40 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 09, 2018, 02:29:30 AM

I still need to work out how and exactly where to attach the rather large RATO units.  And paint them.

They'd fit nicely in those handy tube things in the side of the fuselage. I always wondered what they were for on the Wyvern...........  ;D ;)

Bit like stuffing potatoes up exhaust pipes, One knows one shouldn't .......
But the results can be interesting  ;D

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Rheged

Quote from: TallEng on April 10, 2018, 07:33:57 AM

Regards
Keith

Tell us more!! Did you manage to " inconvenience" a passing pedestrian when exhaust pressure built up sufficiently, or did the engine just keep cutting out and leave you and your mates chortling on the side of the road whilst a bewildered motorist had the bonnet (hood for US readers) up and the RAC called out?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on April 10, 2018, 08:33:45 AM
Quote from: TallEng on April 10, 2018, 07:33:57 AM

Regards
Keith

Tell us more!! Did you manage to " inconvenience" a passing pedestrian when exhaust pressure built up sufficiently, or did the engine just keep cutting out and leave you and your mates chortling on the side of the road whilst a bewildered motorist had the bonnet (hood for US readers) up and the RAC called out?

One of my apprentice colleagues tried that on both exhausts of one of our test cars back in the 60s.

Unfortunately the car he tried it on was a 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury IV with a 426 Hemi engine (ask Zenrat what that is....) and when I started it up it fired both spuds across the car park at about 100 mph! The look on the apprentice's face was wonderful to behold.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

426 Hemi.  426 cubic inch capacity V8 engine built by Mopar during the 1960s.  So named because it featured hemispherical combustion chambers.  Available in street or race versions Hemis were notoriously hard to keep in a good sate of tune.  Butt when they were right...
...va va voom!
This engine powered the ultimate Muscle car - the 1968 Dodge Hemi Dart.  A car so potent it was sold with "not for street use" stickers on the windscreen and was delivered in grey primer and black gel coat ready for a racing paint job.  They hold Super Stock records to this day.

I have two of the Revell kit int he stash and will build an as delivered car and a race car.  Eventually.

But back to the Wyvern.  It's basically finished apart from a few paint tidy ups and the RATO pack.  I was going with twin packs but there simply isn't room.
Wyvern F.1A WIP 11-04-18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I suppose one should do the job.  Which is to get it to 36,000 feet in under 3 minutes.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Yet again miss-quoting Crocodile Dundee 'That's not a RATO pack, THAT'S a RATO pack!'

Looks totally awesome Fred.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

Thanks guys.
Not much progress on this today as in drilling out the rocket nozzle I split the glue seam.  It's gluing again.
I have also started scratchbuilding a deckchair.
All will be explained in the back story.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

zenrat

i couldn't possibly comment.
;D
Fred

zenrat

RATO pack is primed (in a painting sense) and undercoated white.
I am thinking that as it would be jettisoned when it ran out of juice (to float softly back to earth - I have scribed a line around the pointy end to indicate a pop-off cap) it should be painted a bright colour to facilitate its recovery.
Yellow with a red chequered band is appealing - if I can be bothered to do the masking.
Fred

zenrat

Bada bing, bada bang.

Here's the RATO unit as is and the pilot in his deckchair.
Wyvern F-1A WIP 19-04-18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

NARSES2

Are you going to fit the deckchair with an ejector system ? They can be a right so and so to climb out of in a hurry  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.