Done +++ 1:72 Lockheed F-94B of the Hellenic Air Force, early Sixties

Started by Dizzyfugu, March 01, 2018, 12:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

LOL, good ideas tend to pop up in different times and places, so this confirms my concept. And I actually thought that the F-94B, in a second life, could have worked well in the strafing role. There were plans for a recce version without radar (and a bulbous nose), too, but the machine's poor ordnance load would not make it a effective bomb attacker.  :-\

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 09, 2018, 10:24:21 AM
Seeing with a camo scheme makes you think it's a T-33, and then you notice the MONSTER jetpipe!  :o

Very much so.

It's amazing the difference your "dirtying up" does as well. Looking really good
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on March 09, 2018, 09:15:45 PM
That's looking great Dizzy! :thumbsup:

You may not realize it, but you've also done wonders for Zenrat's blood pressure: I was going to make a (non-competition) model by throwing a coat of SEA cammo onto a Heller Starfire and sending it to 'Nam as a USAF ground attack machine, just to annoy him... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

You still could.  But you would then have to explain why.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

There was actually a planned ground attack singe-seater variant of the Stafire (the F-94D, IIRC), but there was only a single semi-prototype (still a two-seater), which was later used as the testbed for the development of the M61 Vulcan gatling gun (with a weird, long nose that house the complete gun installation):

Weaver

Wow, I had no idea about the F-94D!  :thumbsup:

Looks like somebody's already done the decent thing with it  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko::

Turns out that the F-94A/B retained the F-80's ability to carry a pair of 1000lb bombs, so it always was a fighter-bomber.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Yes, but the bombs could, AFAIK, only be carried at the expense of the wing tip tanks.

Besides, the CG renditions are just remakes of the long-nosed Vulcan testbed, and not of the actual F-94D "as planned". Can a whif be "wrong", though? Interesting question...  :o

I have never seen a design sketch of the original/real fighter bomber version, though. The only thing I know is that it was to be a single-seater, armed with bombs and missiles under the wings (and not in pods on the leading edge). I wonder what gun armament it was to carry, and in which configuration? I'd assume at least (four?) 20mm cannon in the radar-less nose.

Maybe an F-80/F-94C kitbash could yield something plausible? Would be a nice whif theme, though.  ;D

As an addendum, things were interrupted here because I found that my reservoir of black decal sheet would not yield enough material for the tip tank decoration I want to apply. So I had to order more of the stuff. which has been delayed over the last weekend.  :angry:

In the meantime I started another project, though, an 1:72 rendition/re-interpretation of nighthunter's English Electric Thunderbolt (an RAF MiG-15).

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 12, 2018, 12:58:46 AM
I have never seen a design sketch of the original/real fighter bomber version, though. The only thing I know is that it was to be a single-seater, armed with bombs and missiles under the wings (and not in pods on the leading edge). I wonder what gun armament it was to carry, and in which configuration? I'd assume at least (four?) 20mm cannon in the radar-less nose.

Maybe an F-80/F-94C kitbash could yield something plausible? Would be a nice whif theme, though.  ;D

The radar buy of an F-94C was huge: plenty of room for cannons. What occurred to me was to use the nose of a Hasegawa Panther or Cougar with the four 20mm cannon ports. If it's bigger than the F-94's radome, then you can always cut the latter slightly further back, aft of the rocket tube muzzles, to get a wider section to mate the new nose to.

I've floated a couple of ideas for more radical stuff on the Lockheed 'Stars' thread here: http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,21801.msg311108.html#msg311108
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Some very nice ideas there.  :thumbsup:

I actually think about an F-94D now, but I just have another Heller "B" in the stash. adding a single-seat cockpit/canopy should not be too complicated, but the nose leaves much room for speculation.

Dizzyfugu

Hmpf, more delays. I wondered why the decal material would not arrive and it seems as if the online shop had not processed the order - so I had to place it again (and wait for some more days until things can move on again)!  :angry:

Anyway, I am already busy with the EE Thunderbolt, which might see the finish line before I can direct my attention back to the Hellenic Starfire.

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 12, 2018, 03:12:24 AM
Some very nice ideas there.  :thumbsup:

I actually think about an F-94D now, but I just have another Heller "B" in the stash. adding a single-seat cockpit/canopy should not be too complicated, but the nose leaves much room for speculation.

The F-94D was converted from a -C differences between a -B and a -C are so great that they nearly called the latter the F-97 instead. The rear fuselage of the -C was much fatter to accommodate a J-48 engine with a huge afterburner, it had swept tailplanes and a much thinner wing section. Converting a -B kit to a -C would be difficult and pointless since -C kits are so readily available.

If you want to do something different to a -B, why not do a photo-recce version? Not the LOROP version I proposed on the other thread, but a conventional multi-window job. There was a proposal to convert a -C for this mission that got as far as a flying prototype, and the feature that made it feasible, i.e. the volume in the long nose, also applies to the -B. Most tac recce aircraft of the era were single-seaters too, so you could still do your single-seat conversion and put a useful extra fuel tank in the rear cockpit.

EF-94C:

- Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Well, there's a camera nose in the Heller T-33 which could certainly be grafted onto an F-94.

nighthunter

Thomas, I may have some Hellenic decals hanging around somewhere in my decal drawer, would you like them?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Thank you for the offer - but the Hellenic markings are not the problem! It's just simple, uniform decal sheet...  :banghead:

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*