Valiant P.R.3

Started by Gondor, March 01, 2018, 03:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

This is defiantly like the London Underground. "Mind The Gap" for sure!

Despite the shrinkage problems with the resin, which still shows that the master was either turned or 3D printed, the nose undercarriage bay looks as if it lines up quite well.

Another slight problem I have found this morning is that the wings will need a little "adjustment" due to the slight shrinkage in length of the area they fit, either that of I carefully file away a little of the fuselage plug or even a bit of both.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 02, 2018, 03:49:30 PM

One of the 54x series of PR Squadrons perhaps? 541 was around at that time, flying Canberra PR7s I think.

With regard to Kit's idea for an operating squadron, my research found that 540 and 542 operated Canberra PR7s and there was also 1323 Flt which was also based at Wyton at the same time. More importantly 543 was at Wyton operating Valiant B(PR)1s so changing to the PR3 would be logical.

Camouflage will probably be PRU blue undersides with a High demarcation line to the Medium Sea Grey upper surfaces, serials will be white and no squadron codes or markings will be carried.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Not a huge amount of work done today but I did manage to get the fuselage halves glued together. As I write this I am finishing off adding the main undercarriage doors to the underside of the wings. The undercarriage bays have also been added to increase rigidity as there is going to be a large chunk of plastic cut from the wings for the new undercarriage bays.

I realized that I could possibly add squadron markings to the Valiant as there were decals supplied in the PR conversion set. When I checked what was supplied I found that the only squadron marking supplied was a Zap applied next to the crew entry door. All is not lost though, Xtradecal have two sets of decals for the Victor which both include squadron markings for 543 so I may buy a set and pinch the marking for this build.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

I just realised that perhaps I should have fitted the main undercarriage doors before fitting the undercarriage bays  :banghead: :banghead:

Gondor

Gondor

First round of PSR completed on the engine intakes which are now glued together. Not looking forward to dealing with the seams between the two half's of each intake though  :-\

Cockpit has been given a lick of paint so next is to see what General Melchett did with his on Britmodeller. I remember from a quick scan of his build that the front seats need to be changed as they were ejector seats, not armchairs as Airfix provide  :banghead:

Just sorting out a few gaps around the fuselage extension at the moment so I hope to be having a PSR session with that tomorrow.

Gondor

Mossie

Quote from: Gondor on March 04, 2018, 04:06:58 AM

With regard to Kit's idea for an operating squadron, my research found that 540 and 542 operated Canberra PR7s and there was also 1323 Flt which was also based at Wyton at the same time. More importantly 543 was at Wyton operating Valiant B(PR)1s so changing to the PR3 would be logical.

Xtradecal do a couple of sheets with the 543 Sqn Heron on them:
https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=2677&code=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=543+Sqn&exact=1&setPerPage=100&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Gondor

Quote from: Mossie on March 10, 2018, 02:15:10 PM
Quote from: Gondor on March 04, 2018, 04:06:58 AM

Xtradecal do a couple of sheets with the 543 Sqn Heron on them:
https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=2677&code=&scale_id=956&keyword_search=543+Sqn&exact=1&setPerPage=100&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

I already have my eye on one of them but I have to pace myself money wise and this months amount has gone already  :banghead:

Gondor

Gondor

Nose undercarriage bay has been added to the front of the fuselage extension. Lots of work to do around those parts as I managed to get the darn thing out of alignment front to back  :banghead: That partly explains why the upper wing sections is not so keen to fit so well  :-\
It also looks as if I managed to get the vertical tail offset too. That's going to be a pita to fix  :banghead: :banghead:
Not giving up though.
Other positives though, most of the cockpit area is painted so hopefully I will be able to get that all buttoned up and fitted to the rest of the fuselage at some point this month  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Gondor

A few days later I can say that I have managed to fix the problem with the tail !  :party:

Not much else done with this build though more paint is going to be applied either tonight or tomorrow in the cockpit area. Got to think about finding something heavy enough to go inside the nose though, maybe some fishing weights I bought some time ago might just be the thing  :-\

Gondor

"EDIT" Yep, fishing weights will do the job  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Today all I managed to get arouond to doing was the fettle the upper wing/fuselage join where the resin fuselage extansion is.

Gondor

The Rat

Quote from: Gondor on March 04, 2018, 04:06:58 AMThis is defiantly like the London Underground.

Let me guess; you posted this from a smart-phone? Mine also changes 'definitely' to defiantly'.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gondor

Quote from: The Rat on March 15, 2018, 09:28:05 PM
Quote from: Gondor on March 04, 2018, 04:06:58 AMThis is defiantly like the London Underground.

Let me guess; you posted this from a smart-phone? Mine also changes 'definitely' to defiantly'.  ;D

No, I used the site spell checker  :-\

Gondor

Rheged

The games spell-checkers play is worthy of a separate thread!!  I'm sure we all have examples we would like to share.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

TheChronicOne

Tee hee...      "wing cathedral".   

Yeah, I was wanting "dihedral."

Congrats on the tail fixage.  :thumbsup: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Gondor

Not much to add as progress has been slow. The intakes are now assembled and painted, ready to fit into the upper wing and the cockpit has been painted and is waiting for me to add the decals. Hope to get a bit more done over the weekend.

Gondor

Gondor

A little progress report. Decals are on in the cockpit and the rear facing seats are painted as per the instructions. The guy's up front will get resin replacement seats, a pair of Mk3's of Martin-Baker's finest seats will be added for them when I get them.

Just glued the intakes into the lower wing half's. The wing tips will be coming off soon and once I get around to making a few measurements and some reading up I will see about starting on the wing extensions.

Gondor