Valiant P.R.3

Started by Gondor, March 01, 2018, 03:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

As the subject of this Group Build is one of my favourite time frames I could not resist trying to get this build done so as today is a snow day I thought I could start this build.

The Valiant P.R.3 is based on a real project. The Vickers Long Range P R U on page 30 of "Vickers Valiant, The First of the V-Bombers" by Eric B Morgan, published by Aerofax.

For those of you without access to the above publication, the Long Range PRU Valiant was in effect a B. Mk2 with a camera pack, a tail gun and extended wings.

Here is a picture of the main contributions

The tail gun was provided by a certain modeller with a fascination for all things TSR2 and was in the box when the picture was taken  :banghead:

Progress will be made later, when I find where I put the instructions for the conversion set  :banghead: :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I can't see the pic Alastair, but it sounds a great project.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 01, 2018, 04:04:18 AM
I can't see the pic Alastair, but it sounds a great project.  :thumbsup:

Ditto re: the pic.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Think that sorted it out. At least it showed in preview mode which I didn't check previously  :banghead:

And....... I found all the instructions !!  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Yes, that's working fine now Alastair.  :thumbsup:

Not exactly the cheapest conversion around with all those extra bits.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 01, 2018, 06:20:02 AM
Yes, that's working fine now Alastair.  :thumbsup:

Not exactly the cheapest conversion around with all those extra bits.  :o

Not so bad if you pick the parts up over time as I have.

Butchary has commenced

Gondor

Gondor

The results of the butchary

Yeah I know, poor quality photograph but I was in a rush to get some pictures taken and posted before I head off to bed tonight.

Anyway, here is the nose dry fitted to the fuselage extension

And the tail gun roughly in place

Finishing with a rough assembly of the whole fuselage

That's all for tonight...

Gondor

PR19_Kit

That's looking pretty sharp there.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Not much work done today, been doing things related to the snow outside which was a foot deep outside my door  :o

Anyway, here are some pictures to add to what is going on.

First the book I referred to earlier from where I got the idea

An earlier version of the Long Range PRU Valiant

And finally the version that I am thinking of, with the extended wings

I still have to decide on such things like camouflage and markings which I am leaning towards PRU Blue with Red/Blue roundels. The squadron that operates the aircraft is not decided on yet either, maybe I should go for one of the ELINT/SIGINT type squadrons?

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on March 02, 2018, 03:39:04 PM

And finally the version that I am thinking of, with the extended wings

Yeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One of the 54x series of PR Squadrons perhaps? 541 was around at that time, flying Canberra PR7s I think.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Excellent ! Love the B.2 version can't wait to see more.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 02, 2018, 03:49:30 PM

One of the 54x series of PR Squadrons perhaps? 541 was around at that time, flying Canberra PR7s I think.

That sounds like a great idea. I will do some reserch, Michael J F Bowyer's books on Camouflage and Markings probably, and use the PR.7 as a basis for this build.

Gondor

Gondor

I am finding that so far this build is going quite well, and this is probably the kiss of death for it  :-\

I have glued the fuselage extensions to the rear parts of the fuselage but not to each other as I realize that resin has a tendency to contract which is easier to fix by putting a fillet between the fuselage halves rather than trying to add to the circumference of the fuselage.

I found out that I was right  ;D

and in this view of the underside

Gaps between the left and right fuselage halves are only part of the problem, the instructions while good showed that I needed to take off way too much plastic so I have a slight gap on one side  :banghead: :banghead:

and slightly less of a gap on the other side  :banghead:

I will sort the gaps tomorrow when I put the fuselage halves together.

I just thought that perhaps I should do a quick check with the nose/cockpit section to see how that fits onto the extension parts. Sure enough there is a good 40 thou or bigger gap between the resin parts, I will post a picture of that tomorrow.

Gondor