P-38G VVS Northern Fleet

Started by b29r, March 01, 2018, 08:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Seeing this made me look the P-38 up in my "American Combat Planes" by Ray Warner. It was the easiest one to reach on the shelf  ;)

I've always wondered why the Lightning wasn't delivered under Lend Lease ? I know the RAF ordered around 600 (Mk's I and II) but that these were rejected in the end because of the removal of the turbosuperchargers ?  Only a couple were delivered to foreign airforce's apparently ? Australia and France got some pre-used F4's and 5's and then China, Italy and Honduras got some post War, but that was it. Wonder why it wasn't offered to more airforces ?

On reading about some of the interesting armament options looked at/tested one flew with two torpedo's,

Got me thinking of the RS kits in the stash  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

That's some good questions actually....   opens up a lot of room for what if builds, for sure! Like you, I'm wanting to drag out my lone P-38....  it's the old F-4 by... Revell I think it was??  I'm going to try to make that one real world... they really put a nice, snazzy blue fade type of PR paint job on it.   :wub:

If I was strictly guessing, I'd say that parts and materials might have come into play... kind of like the superchargers deal. Maybe we didn't have enough "stuff" to go around to justify passing it around to other nations or either that or it would be a hamstrung version not really worth shipping across the ocean.

Just a bunch of wild speculation on my part, though. Don't pay me no never mind.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 03, 2018, 03:21:19 AM
Australia and France got some pre-used F4's and 5's and then China, Italy and Honduras got some post War, but that was it. Wonder why it wasn't offered to more airforces ?

Perhaps because single engine fighters were outperforming it, had better air to ground capabilities and single engines were cheaper and easier to maintain. 

Nice job b29r.  Well done!
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 03, 2018, 11:35:33 AM

Perhaps because single engine fighters were outperforming it, had better air to ground capabilities and single engines were cheaper and easier to maintain. 

Nice job b29r.  Well done!

Yea, but apart from that ? ;)

No seriously I do follow that, but I'm particularly thinking about the pre/early War period ? When Britain and France seemingly were ordering anything that could fly and some that couldn't  :banghead: a lot off the drawing board. Some of those orders could then have been passed on ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.