English Electric Canberra F10

Started by PR19_Kit, March 01, 2018, 09:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 04, 2018, 02:25:57 AM

Not what you are thinking and it would take forever to paint but just imagine how good it would look in Svenska Flygvapnet Fields and Meadows.

It certainly would.  :thumbsup:

Perhaps Sweden bought some Canberra F56s for 'loiter' patrols over the Baltic?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 04, 2018, 02:36:49 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 04, 2018, 02:25:57 AM

Not what you are thinking and it would take forever to paint but just imagine how good it would look in Svenska Flygvapnet Fields and Meadows.

It certainly would.  :thumbsup:

Perhaps Sweden bought some Canberra F56s for 'loiter' patrols over the Baltic?  ;)

Then we're in the late 70:ies. The fields-and-meadows camo came in 1976. Before that, the J32B Lansen interceptors were allover dark green (about FS 34086/Humbrol 116) and the J35F Draken fighters were dark bluegrey and dark green over light grey (FS 35042/Humbrol 77, FS 34086/Humbrol 116 and FS 36173/Humbrol 175).

Oh, I am such a bore... 😉
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 03, 2018, 01:53:28 PM
Grey/green camo with light green undersides like later Javelins?

??

Quote from: TallEng on March 04, 2018, 12:02:18 AM
Or how about PRU blue undersides with MSG/slate grey camouflage? (Not forgetting the appropriate Sqn bars in full colour) ;D
Which I believe was an actual Canberra scheme.
Regards
Keith

It was worn by the early PRU Canberras, Kit.  ver pretty and gets my vote.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on March 04, 2018, 09:27:32 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 03, 2018, 01:53:28 PM
Grey/green camo with light green undersides like later Javelins?

??

Should be light grey, sorry.

Quote from: kitbasher on March 04, 2018, 09:27:32 AM
Quote from: TallEng on March 04, 2018, 12:02:18 AM
Or how about PRU blue undersides with MSG/slate grey camouflage? (Not forgetting the appropriate Sqn bars in full colour) ;D
Which I believe was an actual Canberra scheme.
Regards
Keith

It was worn by the early PRU Canberras, Kit.  ver pretty and gets my vote.

That's the scheme I did my B-35 Northampton in, except the underside was NMF in that case, so I have the correct paint shades.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The fuselage of the F10 is all assembled now, minus the pilot's seat, the cockpit coaming and the canopy.

I've sawn the bomb bay doors roughly in half so the aftmost bit can be assembled in the closed position to take the Double Scorpion rocket motor, and the front half of the doors will be open so that the Genies can be deployed on their extendible launchers. The rear part of the doors don't fit all that well and have needed some extensive PSR work. I don't recall reading about that in any of the reviews though.

Having said that it's occurred to me that the Canberra sits VERY low to the ground so the Genies may need some 'fine adjustment' to stop them hitting the ground when deployed.  :banghead:

Work continues on the Scorpion pods for the Firestreaks but it's VERY fiddly and there's not much left of the pod once I've cut out the missile doors, and it's very fragile afterwards.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

You've built a beaching trolley.  A mere missile pod should be childs play...
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on March 10, 2018, 04:04:48 AM

You've built a beaching trolley.  A mere missile pod should be childs play...
;D

Hehehe, maybe so.  ;D

The trolley was more of an engineering job, this blasted pod thing is more like brain surgery, it's so fragile having cut it about.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Been working on the F10, if only to forget about the blasted B-2 for a bit.  :banghead:

Most of the PSR on the aft bomb bay is done, and the rocket motor's glued in place, and the pilot's seat and the cockpit interior is now all assembled too. It's all black in there at the moment, but I'll highlight it a bit later on.

The port wing's chord extension's been PSR'd within an inch of its life and it's not looking too bad, but I expect it'll need more after priming.

One thing I've overlooked is that the PR9 has a larger tailplane than the B(I)8 airframe I'm using and the FROG PR9 bits don't fit the fuselage too well. I may stick with the Mk 8 tailplanes, we'll see.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

And that was as far as the F10 got, sorry.  :banghead:

It's still on my build list and much of the work is done, so I should manage it for Telford anyway.

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Can't believe I haven't commented on this yet. Well, here it is: KEEP GOING!  :thumbsup: ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

As I'm effectively marooned in a hotel in Co Durham for much of the week, I've got much of the F10 with me and I'll re-start work on it I expect.

There must be another box of smaller bits somewhere as I only have the Firestreaks, no Genies or Red Deans etc. which is a bot of a pain, but there's lots more to do on it.

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Resurected!

Hope you can get some hours in on her-  Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

I already have.  ;D

Looking at the port wing I realised that the fan assembly of the engine was offset inboard somewhat.

So I sawed it off, and re-glued it back in the correct position. That meant there was a hefty gap inboard of it so I filled that with some laminated styrene and PSR'd the hell out of it, so now it looks like this.

After that I started on the starboard wing, glued the Airfix landing gear bay in place (which fits exactly into the FROG wing  ;D) and glued the two halves together. Later I glued the other fan assembly in place, but then found I didn't have the correct PR9 Avon exhaust with me.  :banghead:

Somewhere there's a hell of a lot of this build sitting around in my house!

I also glued the Freightdog conversion kit radar nose in place on the sawn down B(I)8 nose. Oddly it sat at an angle looking from above, and the resin nose was perfect, so I had to file down the front face of the fuselage so it all sat nicely in line, so that's done and dusted now......

Apart from the fact that I've just had a 'Zenrat Moment' and realised I haven't put any noseweight in AT ALL!   :banghead:

I see lots of drilling holes in nosewheel bays in my future.............. :(

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 15, 2020, 03:22:09 PM
...I've just had a 'Zenrat Moment' and realised I haven't put any noseweight in AT ALL!   :banghead:

Fame at last.  Woohoo!
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 15, 2020, 03:22:09 PM
...I've just had a 'Zenrat Moment' and realised I haven't put any noseweight in AT ALL!   :banghead:

Although zenrat has it trademarked, I believe, it's also a Wombat thing, too. :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est