English Electric Canberra F10

Started by PR19_Kit, March 01, 2018, 09:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

More progress on the F10.

I've PSR'd the starboard wing and added the inboard chord extensions, and even scribed in the PR9 style panel lines!  :o

Hopefully I'll  find the missing exhaust when I get home tomorrow.

I glued both tailplanes together, and as the F10s had all-powered controls, developed from the PR9 system, both elevators have drooped a little as the pressure bled off. I stuck with the B(I)8 size 'planes as fitting the more appropriate PR9 ones would have been too much of a struggle I think. The backstory is the F10's hydraulic power ran at a higher pressure so the standard size elevators would do the job.

Yeah, right.............  ;D

I also PSR'd the fuselage, especially around the cockpit. The standard Airfix B(I)8 cockpit surround fits where it touches, which isn't very much, so a fair amount of putty was needed to fill the gaps.

On the underside I added the weapons bay doors in the open position to enable the two Genies to be seen. The F10s had a totally different weapons bay door to the earlier B(I)8s in order to reduce drag as much possible at the higher speeds and altitudes at which it was expected to operate, so the doors opened up inside the weapons bay, and slid upwards by half their width, rather in the way the Vulcan's doors operated.  ;)

All this modelling in hotels takes me to back to my working days, where I did most of my creative work in such places.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

While I think about it, could you move this whole thread out of the Cold War GB area and put it I the usual 'Current and Finished Projects' area please Chris?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

I am  looking forward to seeing this one completed  Kit :wub:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on February 26, 2020, 08:02:13 AM

I am  looking forward to seeing this one completed  Kit :wub:

So am I Chris, if I can sort out the blasted weapons.......... :-\

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I am sure you will sort that soon enough  Kit, the  missiles could be  scratched  if push comes to shove  they are not  exactly  missile science  :-\
Chris

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on February 26, 2020, 08:38:51 AM

they are not  exactly  missile science  :-\

[Panto mode on]

OH YES THEY ARE!  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2020, 03:08:26 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on February 26, 2020, 08:38:51 AM

they are not  exactly  missile science  :-\

[Panto mode on]

OH YES THEY ARE!  ;D ;)
I used the right bait for that one  ;D ;D  ;D

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 18, 2020, 02:10:33 PM
and even scribed in the PR9 style panel lines!  :o
This level of detail is amazing on a what-if model! Like a proof of Reality on a fantasy object ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 16, 2020, 06:19:09 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 15, 2020, 03:22:09 PM
...I've just had a 'Zenrat Moment' and realised I haven't put any noseweight in AT ALL!   :banghead:

I see lots of drilling holes in nosewheel bays in my future.............. :(

Although zenrat has it trademarked, I believe, it's also a Wombat thing, too. :banghead:

And a Weaver thing. I've dropped PVA-coated 1mm weights down the footwells of a P.1111 one at a time before now, and my BAS Skyvan has 'geophysical sensors' under the fuselage that coincidentally cover the holes I had to drill to get ballast weight in under the cockpit floor... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

After finding some of the missile bits, they were in an ice cream box marked 'Canberra F10 missiles' so it's no wonder I didn't find them  ;D I did some more work on the monster Firestreak pods.

You may recall they're made from F-89H Scorpion wing tip pods with the Falcon missile bays lengthened to take the Firestreaks, which are the telescopic wing version of course.  ;) This means LOTS of careful cutting and filing and because I need to lengthen the bay bases there'll only be two Firestreaks extended on their launchers. So one of the pods will be closed up, and that's completed, bar shortening it to a sensible length. The full size pod is slightly longer than a Gnat trainer!

The other one's half done, with it's #1 missile bay on place, and I'm working on the #2 bay, but as it goes across the joint of the two pod halves it's even more fiddly than the #1 bay!

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Now I've finished assembling the port side weapons pod, including the initial PSR, and there's a LOT of that!

The Firestreaks will need 20 thou. spacers to lift them high enough to clear the nose of the pod, but that won't be difficult, and I'll have to fit the myriad bay doors as well, but this pod is pretty well done. The starboard pod will need shortening to match this one, but it'll still be as long as the Canberra's engines!  :o

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Having finished my entries for the 'In the Navy' GB, I've only got one more kit with me while I'm 'in exile' during the virus crisis, but it's this Canberra F10. As before, I thought I'd left the all missiles at home, and spent some time searching for them amongst the various bags of stuff I bought over here with me.

I should have re-read this thread as they were still in the ice cream carton marked 'Canberra F10 missiles'.............  :banghead:

So last night I got on with the ex-Scorpion wing pods, real MONSTERS they are too. They looked as if they were 1/48 pods on a 1/72 scale wing when I taped them onto the Canberra's wings! But now I have the port pod fully modified with two open Firestreak bays, and the starboard pod shortened but with the bays closed. I don't have spare enough Firestreaks or bay doors to populate the both pods, and it will show that the missiles are retractable with one pod in each configuration.

Originally I reckoned I'd get three Firestreaks in each pod, but even with my notional telescoping wing version of the Firestreak there's just not enough room, even in those HUGE pods, so it's down to two missiles per pod. There's still the Red Deans under the wings and the Genies in the bomb bay too of course.  ;)

I never did find the exhaust for the starboard engine, so I got another cheap M'box PR9 on eBay and the starboard wing is now complete, just needs panel lines re-scribing and the bulges added for the powered ailerons.

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

The Scorpions with the wingtip pods look monstrously multi-scaled.

Can't wait to see how your Frankenberra turns out  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Captain Canada

Nice work Kit ! That nice really does it for me. I really need to get one of those for my Canberra kit. The wing pods are going to be sweet !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?