English Electric Canberra F10

Started by PR19_Kit, March 01, 2018, 09:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I never think like that I'm afraid, it's all been Milliputted to death now, and PSR'd within an inch of its life too.

Much sanding this evening. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 17, 2020, 11:07:18 AM
I never think like that I'm afraid, it's all been Milliputted to death now, and PSR'd within an inch of its life too.

Kit, have you tried Aves Apoxy putty?  It's water-soluble, so one presses on a glob of the expoxy in the required place, then smoothes it with a damp finger.  With practice the SR portion of PSR can be almost eliminated.  In a couple of hours it's dry enough to tolerate handling; over-night for things like drilling holes into it.  It can be layered, sawn, drilled, etc.  It's not as hard as superglue & talcum powder, but it is plenty solid.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

I've never heard of it, I don't even know if you can get it in the UK.

It sounds just like Milliput as you can do all those things you mention with them both from the sound of it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 17, 2020, 11:07:18 AM

Oh, but you should, Kit! Saves you so much sanding and the dust that comes with it if you don't wet sand. Beside that, i believe that it makes for much stronger joins and you don'fill in panel lines, rivets and details of sort.
And indeed, it seems like you've got quite a bit of sanding to do on that bird... but it's looking very good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

The F10's CG problem is sorted.  :thumbsup:

My mate Pete, him with the teeny weeny lathe, had a relatively vast quantity of roofing lead handy (No, I didn't ask.....) and I chopped off a bit and rolled it up so that it fitted in the Nav's compartment. Sadly that wasn't quite enough, so I drilled out Colin Freightdog's lovely moulded nose radome, ensuring that I didn't drill right through, to make a space even further forward. I glued the rest of the lead in there and that did the job!

I've just painted the cockpit in various shades of black (I've sat in a fighter canopy Canberra more than nonce and it's all sorts of blacks in there!) and I'll do a bit of colour work on it this afternoon before putting the canopy on, masking it and them priming the whole thing.  ;D

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Really liking the looks of this one.  :wub: Looks a lot sexier than the F-89.

Areas like the wing-fuselage join are always a barsteward to sand. I found masking the area helped cutting down on sanding.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 18, 2020, 06:49:27 AM

My mate Pete, him with the teeny weeny lathe, had a relatively vast quantity of roofing lead handy (No, I didn't ask.....)

My mate Malcolm had a fair chunk of that back in the 60's. He spent 3 months in a Young Offender's Institute or whatever they were called back then  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Apparently Pete's lead was surplus from a big job that a mate of his did when masking off a hospital X-Ray centre. I bet they used a LOT of lead there!  :o

After doing all the original PSR I primed the F10 all over last night, so this morning I'm doing the secondary PSR. You know, that's the one where you reckon you've done an almost perfect job on the first PSR session and in the morning the awful truth emerges!   :banghead:

It's not too bad actually, I was expecting LOTS more problems than actually showed up, but you're right Moritz, wing fuselage joints are a prime pain sometimes. It would have helped if I didn't try and join an M'box wing to an Airfix fuselage, but I only had one Airfix PR9 in stock, and that's slated for an RW build. :(

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Some years ago I went to a metal scrapyard to see if I could get some old roofing lead. Once I had explained to the owner what I wanted it for, he just gave me a square foot of it. Got loads of it left even after all these years.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Don't you just LOVE it when a plan comes together?  :thumbsup:

I'm nearing decision time on the colour scheme for the F10 and nothing's really coming together.  :-\

Because it's carrying Red Deans and Genies the time frame it'd be flying in is quite short, so I'm thinking 1958-1960, but I'm not sure about doing it all NMF like the Lightnings were at that time,

Deep thoughts required.......................

[After deep thought]

I'm moving towards Steel Penguins 'camo (sky) undersides,  silver tops and colourful markings' or TallEng's  'PRU blue undersides with MSG/slate grey camouflage? (Not forgetting the appropriate Sqn bars in full colour)'

Currently I don't have any slate grey of any sort, but that's just a matter of ordering some.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

This is getting just TOO silly!  :banghead:

While priming all six of the F10's missiles, I stuck them down to my thick double sided tape before I'd 'thumbed' my way along it to reduce it's stickiness, with the result that one of the Firestreaks decided it didn't want to leave such a secure environment and stayed stuck! :(

When I finally managed to lever it off one of the four rear fins stayed stuck to the tape, requiring me to make a new one.....

It's 1 mm wide by 1.5 mm long, all this cut from a piece of 5 thou styrene. I can only just SEE it, let alone glue it back in place!!!!!! :o

Luckily the main airframe is looking pretty good after its latest primer coat and I don't think I can be bothered to do any more PSR and priming on it.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 20, 2020, 05:51:05 AM

While priming all six of the F10's missiles, I stuck them down to my thick double sided tape before I'd 'thumbed' my way along it to reduce it's stickiness, with the result that one of the Firestreaks decided it didn't want to leave such a secure environment and stayed stuck! :(

I've had similar happen when I've forgotten to partially de-stick the tape  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Right, the colour scheme decision's been made and I'm going with the PRU Blue underside and the MSG/Light Slate Grey topsides, maybe Dark Slate Grey.

Mainly because I've got the two main colours already, and I'm waiting for the Slate Greys, and because an NMF finish will show up all the awful PSR work that I eventually gave up on. :(

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Wise choice :thumbsup:
After all that's what camouflage is for isn't it,
To hide things....

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, indeed so. The PRU Blue is on there now, first coat anyway, but it looks so good I'm not sure it'll need a second one.

The missiles are all painted white now too.

Regards
Kit