F-14 Tomcat USN

Started by Ed S, March 01, 2018, 03:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

That's one BIG wing too!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

That's really cool, it's amazing how well that works; looks like a smaller, more modern rival for the Vulcan.

Looking forward to seeing the completed article. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

I hope those wings fold! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

KiwiZac

Yip, I'm still excited!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Ed S

Latest update. I haven't forgotten this. But it has turned into a major PITA. Lots of things going wrong or not working. But I still expect to finish it.

I finished the decals this evening.
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Dizzyfugu

PR19_Kit

It's an F-14XL.  :thumbsup: ;D

Cracking looking model Ed, even if it is giving you a tough time.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

gofy

So that's what the USN did with the Firefox, turned her into a Grumman Firecat!
In my opinion, British, Canadian, or USAF markings make things look so much better...

Ed S

In late 1967, following the F-111B debacle, the US Navy initiated the VFX program for a new fleet defense fighter. Still "smarting" from their bad press with the F-111B, the top Navy brass also informed the competitors for the VFX that they would in no way, absolutely not consider any swing wing a/c for this program. Grumman had already begun design and wind tunnel testing of a swing wing design that looked promising. They quickly began evaluating changes to their design. In order to still meet the range and payload requirements they really couldn't make a much smaller airframe. Obviously, to meet the t/o and landing speed requirements and still have the top speed, they were limited in the wing they could use. A delta wing would work except for the extremely nose high attitude for landing. A characteristic that would be totally unacceptable. They also had access to early studies by SAAB for their new delta wing, STOL fighter with canards. The result was the F-14 Tomcat, which won the VFX competition and flew for the Navy well into the 2000's.

We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sandiego89

That looks great! Well done.

How come the black canopy? (not a criticism, just curious)
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Ed S

Quote from: sandiego89 on May 30, 2018, 02:23:42 PM
That looks great! Well done.

How come the black canopy? (not a criticism, just curious)

Because, somewhere I lost the canopy and didn't realize it until well along with the construction. So I built up the shape with styrene scraps and epoxy putty, sanded it and painted it black.

scooter

Ya know, I saw one of those at Ali Al Salem Air Base on my way out of Iraq in 05.  Must have been during their final tour.  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Oooooh yes, LOVE that Ed.  :thumbsup: :wub:

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

AeroplaneDriver

Thats jut gorgeous Ed! 

I like the black canopy...makes it look like a manufacturer's model. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....