Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Scotaidh

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 06, 2018, 12:54:00 AM
Quote from: zenrat on March 05, 2018, 03:11:11 PM
Spitfires look good in any scheme.

Discuss.

I've thought about it and can't think of any it wouldn't suit off hand ? Some of the WWII "dazzle" type schemes might look a bit odd, as would some of the more "in your face" WWI personal schemes but then they didn't suit the real world aircraft they were on. But it's all subjective I suppose.

There's this:

I have seen a picture of a British biplane with in experimental camouflage, with the markings "squished" to one side, to throw off the aim of the Germans - but I can't find the picture now <grrr>

Early WWI also had a number of types flying in "polished wood" - I reckon a Spit would look good in varnished birch or oak ...  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 09, 2018, 01:25:13 AM
I have seen a picture of a British biplane with in experimental camouflage, with the markings "squished" to one side, to throw off the aim of the Germans - but I can't find the picture now <grrr>

Do you mean the "trench" cammo used experimentally on some Sopwith Salamander? These had, among a multi-colorer scheme, roundels in various sizes and positions on the wings.
Here's a profile:

NARSES2

I like the type of scheme used on the Salamander. I must admit I'd not noticed the different roundel sizes before however. Interesting  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

...Early WWI also had a number of types flying in "polished wood" - I reckon a Spit would look good in varnished birch or oak ...  :)

Hmmmm.  I can visualise a 1930's racing Spitfire with polished metal engine cowlings and shiny woodgrain everything else.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That's PL965, a Spitfire PR XI, taken during its US tour a few years ago. It used to fly from Breighton in Yorkshire with a black Hurricane as 'The Pink and Black' team, but they went a bit overboard with the 'Pinkness'. Real pink PR Spitfires were nowhere NEAR as bright as that, lots more pale and washed out really.

Nowadays '965 is part of Peter Teichman's Hangar 11 collection and North Weald and is painted in PR Blue coded 'R' for Robert, her WWII era scheme and codes. Amazingly she flies with her ORIGINAL engine, which turned up in California and was re-united with the airframe a couple of years ago.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 09, 2018, 12:57:07 PM

That's PL965, a Spitfire PR XI, taken during its US tour a few years ago. It used to fly from Breighton in Yorkshire with a black Hurricane as 'The Pink and Black' team, but they went a bit overboard with the 'Pinkness'. Real pink PR Spitfires were nowhere NEAR as bright as that, lots more pale and washed out really.

Nowadays '965 is part of Peter Teichman's Hangar 11 collection and North Weald and is painted in PR Blue coded 'R' for Robert, her WWII era scheme and codes. Amazingly she flies with her ORIGINAL engine, which turned up in California and was re-united with the airframe a couple of years ago.

Very cool - thanks for the update, PR19!  :) 

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Rat

Many moons ago I did an XB-70 in that retro scheme, might be time to revisit the concept. You could pick almost any USAF or USAAF aircraft and simply say it's an anniversary scheme, or whatever. Surely one of the most beautiful and eye-catching colours ever worn, by any aircraft, in any service, any time.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7001-7100/gal7025-XB-70-Bailey/00.shtm

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Nice one Ratty  :thumbsup:, and I agree with you over that colour scheme
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-