Real World Build - Supermarine Scimitar

Started by rickshaw, March 16, 2018, 10:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

The Supermarine Scimitar was a British naval fighter aircraft operated by the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm. The prototype for the eventual production version flew in January 1956 and production aircraft were delivered in 1957. It saw service with the Royal Navy from 1958 until 1969, replaced in service by the Blackburn Buccaneer.

This is my only real world build for over 30 years.  It is a Scimitar from Merlin Models which I purchased off of EvilBay several years ago.  It has been painted with a hairy stick and Vallejo paints.   The decals came in the box and represent an aircraft from 803 Squadron FAA operating off of Ark Royal.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on March 16, 2018, 10:37:52 PM

It is a Scimitar from Merlin Models which I purchased off of EvilBay several years ago.

Even more RESPECT!

A Merlin Scimitar fuselage must have been in six or seven parts, having seen how their TSR2 was produced.

I really must build my Skybirds Scimitar one day............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 17, 2018, 01:26:55 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on March 16, 2018, 10:37:52 PM

It is a Scimitar from Merlin Models which I purchased off of EvilBay several years ago.

Even more RESPECT!

A Merlin Scimitar fuselage must have been in six or seven parts, having seen how their TSR2 was produced.

I really must build my Skybirds Scimitar one day............

Thank'ee kind, Sir.  Your respect is respected.  ;)

The kit had an ejection seat and twin exhausts added to it.   I also had to blank off the inlets and cockpit sides.  Apart from that, it is stock standard.  It wasn't hard to build at all.   Worst problem was the undercarriage.  It required a fairly heavy weight in the nose to counteract the heavy rear fuselage.    :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Very Nice Brian  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I bought the XtraKit offering some time ago. Think it will have to be dug out after seeing this fine effort.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

That's come out well mate  :thumbsup:

It's an aircraft I've always liked for some reason. Perhaps it's memories of them at the Biggin Hill Airshow all those years ago ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 18, 2018, 02:13:02 AM

It's an aircraft I've always liked for some reason. Perhaps it's memories of them at the Biggin Hill Airshow all those years ago ?

That reminds me of the FAA 4 ship Scimitar Team at Farnboorugh one year. After they'd done their display they landed in pairs, from OPPOSITE ends of the runway! As they approached each other they all folded their wings and passed through the gap in the other pair's formation! AWESOME!

Can you imagine the CAA's response to anyone doing that these days???  ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

That came out looking good - nice job! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I like the Scimitar too. It has a bit of a dubious reputation due to it's high accident rate, but that was mostly because they were operating it from carriers that were fundamentally too small for it. As an RAF aircraft, operating from runways, I think it would have been fine, and a useful fighter-bomber that bridged the gap, in payload/range terms, between the Hunter and the Canberra.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Scotaidh

Nice work!   :thumbsup:

I've always liked that aircraft and thought it very under-represented.  Glad to see you helping to redress the imbalance!  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Wooksta!

IIRC, the Merlin Scimitar isn't quite a Scimitar - he used a Frog Supermarine N.??? that was a prototye and not typical for a production machine. 

I did have a Merlin Scimitar for a while and I don't know what happened to it.  I certainly never built it, although I think I did some clean up.  The fuselage halves each came in two halves - front and back ends.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 18, 2018, 08:58:58 AM

IIRC, the Merlin Scimitar isn't quite a Scimitar - he used a Frog Supermarine N.??? that was a prototye and not typical for a production machine. 

Ahah, yes.

Could well be right there, the FROG N.113 wasn't area ruled as the later Scimitars were, and Brian's model isn't as 'waisted' as Scimitars usually are.

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Does that mean it's an accidental whiff then?  :wacko: ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 18, 2018, 11:44:15 AM

Looks like it, which is a pity as Brian tried to build it RW.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 18, 2018, 01:13:19 PM
Quote from: Weaver on March 18, 2018, 11:44:15 AM

Looks like it, which is a pity as Brian tried to build it RW.

:banghead: :banghead: