B-52 "FICON": B-52 carrying F-104's *finished*

Started by sandiego89, March 18, 2018, 11:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Commenced with the paint job.  Going with the early SAC natural metal and anti-flash white on the undersurfaces.  Gray primer on the fuselage.  White on the undersides of the wing and the flaps.  Kit allows flaps to transition up or down.  Interesting that the B-52 only has an up or down flap setting- no intermediate flap. 

Of course something as simple as under-flash white turns up a staggering amount of variations when you start to look at examples in my references and on-line.  White under the fuselage only, white half way up the engine nacelles, full white nacelles with pylons natural metal, full white nacelles and pylons.....   :banghead:  And I am just scratching what "natural metal" means.  Like the B-36 there seems to be significant variations in schemes whn you dig a bit deeper. 

Again very impressed with the quality of the molds.  Nice kit so far. 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

That kit was a revelation when it first came out, not only for its size. Everyone commented on the quality, but that was back when Monogram WAS Monogram.

Does it still have the three little lugs on the wings and fuselage to enable you to hang it up in the roof with lengths of string?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Ed S

Something I have seen with other builds of this kit. The big wings are quite heavy and can cause the back of the fuselage to split if it isn't well glued. I build one of these last year (RW) and after I glued the fuselage together and added the wings, I added epoxy to the wing joints and upper fuselage. I found one of the epoxy dispensers like a syringe with a long nozzle that mixes the epoxy as you squirt it in place. It worked.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sandiego89

Quote from: Ed S on March 21, 2018, 01:04:49 PM
Something I have seen with other builds of this kit. The big wings are quite heavy and can cause the back of the fuselage to split if it isn't well glued. I build one of these last year (RW) and after I glued the fuselage together and added the wings, I added epoxy to the wing joints and upper fuselage. I found one of the epoxy dispensers like a syringe with a long nozzle that mixes the epoxy as you squirt it in place. It worked.

Ed

Thanks Ed, great tip! 

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 21, 2018, 12:41:24 AM
That kit was a revelation when it first came out, not only for its size. Everyone commented on the quality, but that was back when Monogram WAS Monogram.

Does it still have the three little lugs on the wings and fuselage to enable you to hang it up in the roof with lengths of string?

Yes, Kit, the mold still has the three lugs/eyelets and a circular piece so it can be hung for the ceiling.  Hmmm...... wonder if Mrs. Sandiego89 would notice...

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 21, 2018, 02:08:01 PM

Yes, Kit, the mold still has the three lugs/eyelets and a circular piece so it can be hung for the ceiling.  Hmmm...... wonder if Mrs. Sandiego89 would notice...

Almost certainly.

The late Mrs_PR19 said about my newly purchased 1/72 B-36 some 30 odd years ago, 'Hmmmm, if you plan on hanging that up you better get some brighter light bulbs!'  ;D

I solved that problem by not actually building it...........................yet.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KiwiZac

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 21, 2018, 03:48:45 PM
The late Mrs_PR19 said about my newly purchased 1/72 B-36 some 30 odd years ago, 'Hmmmm, if you plan on hanging that up you better get some brighter light bulbs!'  ;D
;D ;D Brilliant! Or not... :angel:

A 1/72 B-52 whif has to be good. I'm excited!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

sandiego89

Wow, the weather around here has been killing this bulid- high winds and cold making spray painting difficult.  Anyhow, finally got a chance to put some color down.

Natural aluminum for the main fuselage, anti-flash white undersides.

Flap work. The kit has some great flaps that slide out and down. My second shade of natural aluminum turned out too dark.  Needs a respray.

While the new paint dries, lets' take a look at the F-104's.  Decals very yellowed  :-\  Will try the putting in the window trick...

Dave "Sandiego89"

The Rat

This is madness, sheer madness.

And I'm LOVING IT!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

loupgarou

Quote from: The Rat on April 15, 2018, 07:29:31 PM

It was Napoleon or Nero that said:
"In madness lies greatness" ?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Old Wombat

Quote from: loupgarou on April 16, 2018, 02:11:25 AM
Quote from: The Rat on April 15, 2018, 07:29:31 PM

It was Napoleon or Nero that said:
"In madness lies greatness" ?

Yet, for either of them, the corollary "In greatness lies madness" held more truth. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Thanks guys!

Re-sprayed the natural metal.  Used Rustoleum rattle cans from Home Depot aluminum (shiny), Nickel Matte (dull) and Testors Magnesium (dark on wings) for the three metal shades used on A-F model B-52's.  G and H models used some differing metals for their skins. Gloss White anti-flash undersides. LOTS of painters tape was sacrificed. 

Engine pods commenced. 

Two seat Harrier for scale. 

Dave "Sandiego89"

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.