B-52 "FICON": B-52 carrying F-104's *finished*

Started by sandiego89, March 18, 2018, 11:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: loupgarou on March 20, 2018, 06:02:15 AM
And, important, an heating system must be provided for the F-104 pilot, else he would be frosen solid.  :o
I remember having read something about this concerning the real FICON tests.

I would think the "easiest" solution would be to plumb a line from the B-52's environmental system though the pylon and into the F-104 system via a valve that closes after the F-104 engine start and it's system comes online. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sandiego89

The moment of truth....

Will the F-104's fit?

They just make it!   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Not much margin for error there. Are they intended to re-attach in flight?  You might need a trapeze to make it work both on separation and re-attachment.   Something that is long enough to attach well below the slip-stream?   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sandiego89

Quote from: rickshaw on April 21, 2018, 06:29:59 PM
Not much margin for error there. Are they intended to re-attach in flight?  You might need a trapeze to make it work both on separation and re-attachment.   Something that is long enough to attach well below the slip-stream?   :thumbsup:

Launch only.  The B-52- F-104/RF-104 FICON only allowed for carriage and launch, but an air-to-air refueling capability post launch was provided....And like the Hound Dog missile, the F-104 main engines could be used for take off and climb, and the fighter could be topped off from the mother ship tanks before they were launched. 

Exactly Kit- a manned Hound Dog. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

zenrat

This is coming along nicely.  With this, and after your B36 Agribomber we'll have to crown you King of the Big Jobs.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 22, 2018, 02:48:09 AM
This is coming along nicely.  With this, and after your B36 Agribomber we'll have to crown you King of the Big Jobs.

In my part of the world that's not an epithet you'd want  :angel: Still I know what you mean and wholeheartedly agree  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Fuselage coming together.  Neat set up for the main wheels. 

Bomb bay can open and close with some cleaver hinges built into the kit.  Sorry about the poor lighting. 

Left half.

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Yes, that Monogram kit was well ahead of its time when it was produced. The engineering is magnificent, and not just because of its size either.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 23, 2018, 07:27:58 AM
Quote from: zenrat on April 22, 2018, 02:48:09 AM

In my part of the world that's not an epithet you'd want  :angel: Still I know what you mean and wholeheartedly agree  :thumbsup:

Certainly not here in Scotland where if you were to call someone "King of the big Jobbies" you would be very, VERY, lucky to get away from there with your teeth still intact.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

sandiego89

Need some work on the pylons.

I could just glue the F-104's on, but then I wouldn't be able to play...uhh.... I mean display my model in various configurations.  Will also allow other WHIFS to be mounted if desired. 

So I will use Magnets...

Old Bobcat Harrier T-4 shell for testing.  If three magnets can hold this thick mold, the F-104s will be easy.

A few finishing nails glued to the top of the fuselage. Three magnets super-glued to the pylon. 

Weight test:

Holds great! Firm, but allows de-mating.  Fairing will be built up to hide the magnets.       
Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Hmm, I like that idea.  :thumbsup:

'Loading stores' with the same method would save them being snapped off in transit. My mate Pete has some MEGA-powerful magnets that are only 1 mm in dia., you can only JUST see them too...........  ;)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.