Henry Post Army Airfield 100th Anniversary Air Show

Started by TheChronicOne, March 19, 2018, 04:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

https://sill.armymwr.com/promos/save-date#utm_source=kswo 

So I'm on the local News station (TV) website taking a gander at the weather when an advertisement caught my eye. I couldn't believe it! An airshow at the airfield just one mile from my house?! There's never been one here before that I'm aware of but then again, it's not every year that it is the 100th anniversary, either!

"April 7, 2018, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.  - 100th Anniversary of Henry Post Army Airfield Celebration

April 7: 100th Anniversary of Henry Post Army Airfield Celebration

Come be part of the 100th anniversary celebration of the Henry Post Army Airfield, the oldest airfield in the Army, on Saturday, April 7 from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. This is your chance to see historical aircraft. You will also see Field Artillery and Air Defense Artillery displays such as HIMARS, THAAD and Avenger Launchers and more. The highlight of the day is the airshow which begins at 2 p.m.
"

WELL!! There's no way I'm missing this! (Famous last words... )   I'm going to try, anyway, and even if I'm stuck at the house I'll probably be close enough to "sort of" watch it but I'd really like to go!

So far they don't have a single aircraft or demo team listed but I imagine there will be some pre-war and WWII type stuff. They'll probably have the stuff from Fredrick, OK over and stuff from the Confederate Air Force but this is just speculation. Probably a bunch of helos from the last 50 years, etc. Would be nice if there were some... like....  USAF Thunderbirds or something but that's wishful thinking and probably not inline with the "theme".  ;D     EDIT: I take it back, there is some sort of pic slide show thing that shows some of the stuff.

I'll try to update the thread here as more info becomes available.

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Definitely be worth being part of such an important historical event  :thumbsup: Should be interesting
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Aye! I'm going to be sure to have an empty memory card on my camera before I go! I'm going to begin planning for it right now. I wish I had known about this a couple months earlier but being that it's as close as it is there shouldn't be any reason not to make it out.

While I'm on post, I might just drive around to the museum and go through artillery park and take pictures of all that stuff, as well. They have all kinds of stuff, Nike missiles and humongous artillery pieces. I think they've even added a bunch of stuff since I was last there which was I think 9 years ago. Then I could drive a couple more miles to Geronimo's grave and get some pictures of that and some of the other old headstones.

Hell, after that I could drive 4-5 more miles and be out on the East Range where you can drive up and watch them shoot cannons and MLRS. It's weird, you can drive right under shells flying over head.... with a keen eye, you can see the rounds. I used to water trees out there about 10 years back but you don't even have to have any "business" being out there. Any random person, if you can get on base, can just drive out there.  :o ;D

-Sprues McDuck-

Leading Observer

Check the prohibited items list on the website https://sill.armymwr.com/promos/save-date#utm_source=kswo - cameras and camera bags are on the list of prohibited items!
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

kitnut617

When I went to the USMC Yuma Airshow, everyone was 'patted' down at the entrance. To my amazement was the pile of knives, knuckle dusters and every other sort of weapon (didn't see any guns though) on a couple of tables set to one side. Even more amazing when we left at the end of the day, the pile was still there although practically everyone else had left ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 19, 2018, 11:12:23 AM
Check the prohibited items list on the website https://sill.armymwr.com/promos/save-date#utm_source=kswo - cameras and camera bags are on the list of prohibited items!

Oh man! That is not cool. I somehow missed that as I was reading about guns, knives, weed, and beer. I'm HOPING that this will mean things like bigger, actual cameras (due to the size and the case, etc and them not wanting us to "smuggle" things in?) and perhaps not my smartphone and I can use that? Holy crap.. I'm going to have to figure out just what this entails.  :banghead:  I sure as hell won't be out there sketching things.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 19, 2018, 12:39:48 PM
When I went to the USMC Yuma Airshow, everyone was 'patted' down at the entrance. To my amazement was the pile of knives, knuckle dusters and every other sort of weapon (didn't see any guns though) on a couple of tables set to one side. Even more amazing when we left at the end of the day, the pile was still there although practically everyone else had left ----

I'm convinced people are WELL aware of what and what not is allowed w/ regard obvious things like that but they try to push the boundaries to see what they can get away with.  Just like all these clowns that try to take things like machetes and razors onto planes still (and even guns) knowing full well how things have changed since 2001.
-Sprues McDuck-

Captain Canada

Cool. Have fun ! Be neat just to be on the base.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 19, 2018, 11:12:23 AM

Reading that lot it's fairly clear they just want you to turn up, sit down, watch the show and spend money on the food and drink they are selling. Gotta cover costs somehow, right?  :wacko:

I appreciate the camera ban if it means you don't have some idiot in front right on the flight line with a 6ft high tripod and a lens like a missile launcher, all blocking your view of the show.
Just hope they turn a blind eye to small pocket cameras... but there might be a photography ban due to Fort Sill being an active military base.

TheChronicOne

Agreed on all counts.

I'd imagine that they won't sweat the small hand helds and camera phones.  I fully intend to take mine and take copious amounts of pictures. I doubt they would confiscate it to see if I took a picture of a C-47 or if I was simply texting or using the phone. I can't do either, mind you, as the phone has been out of service for 4 years.  Doesn't stop me from pretending.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Don't worry Brad C.  If you do get into trouble I promise i'll come and visit you in Gitmo.
I've always wanted to visit Cuba...
;D🇨🇺
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

It's certainly an interesting and surprising mix of types in the logo - Swordfish, Hip, Hurricane, TWO An-2s?! And the website has a C-45 "Army-Air Core"...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates