Henry Post Army Airfield 100th Anniversary Air Show

Started by TheChronicOne, March 19, 2018, 04:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

I was supposed to be in OK for a job today but I didn't want to go. Never been, so I should have, but that's another story. Any road, if they ask me to go back around that time..... ;D
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TheChronicOne

Quote from: KiwiZac on March 22, 2018, 12:27:13 PM
It's certainly an interesting and surprising mix of types in the logo - Swordfish, Hip, Hurricane, TWO An-2s?! And the website has a C-45 "Army-Air Core"...
;D ;D ;D

What the hell....    ;D    I can kind of get random odd-ball graphics in the logo but the spelling error GRATES THE NERVES.  :banghead:  I'd be willing to bet that some of the same people who write for the local TV station wrote this stuff up. They aren't good at spelling, that's for damn sure.  ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Captain Canada on March 22, 2018, 04:11:38 PM
I was supposed to be in OK for a job today but I didn't want to go. Never been, so I should have, but that's another story. Any road, if they ask me to go back around that time..... ;D
Didn't want to go to OK, you say.  Now, where have I heard THAT before?!  lmao   ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D

See what I mean?! The very minute I go check Facebook, I see this, posted just 10 minutes ago:

They do this ALL THE TIME.

I caught them do this about 3 years ago and this was broadcast on TV, so it's not just limited to facebook, etc:

;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Just a quick update; it would seem the "cameras and camera bags" has been removed from the prohibited items list.  :unsure:

It's looking like I will be able to make it to this. My main bill payment from the trash picking up contract I have came in EARLY so I have some spending money and I don't know about y'all, but going to an event BROKE kind of ruins things so I'm pretty happy about that.

I hope they have more than just FOOD and BEER to buy at this thing. Some souvenirs would be neat.  :mellow: :mellow:

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

6 days to go!!! Looking at the weather forecast, not only will it be a little cool out, but supposed to be cloudy. Rats! That will likely mean the air show itself will be a less stellar version but I still don't want to miss it.

-Sprues McDuck-

reddfoxx

6 days is a long time in forecasting.  Still should be fun.

TheChronicOne

Damn!  Whole shooting match is canceled due to possibility of terri-bad weather.

Concert rescheduled for July 27th and air show for the 28th. This kind of sucks because it will be in the upper 90s and 100s temperature wise by then.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

"Fort Sill to Reschedule Concert and Air Show due to weather

Fort Sill – Fort Sill officials have made the decision to cancel Saturday's air show and celebration of the 100th anniversary of the post's Henry Post Army Airfield.

Officials say the weather forecast for Saturday calls for 20-25 mph sustained winds with temperatures not reaching above freezing until around noon.

"We really hate to do this. We had a very good air show planned," said Brenda Spencer-Ragland, Fort Sill Family, Morale, Welfare and Recreation director. "But, most of our aerial and static display aircraft cancelled because they didn't think they could get here, or perform on Saturday, because of the weather."

Spencer-Ragland said food vendors also started cancelling because of the weather forecast.

Fort Sill officials are rescheduling both the Gary Sinise and the Lt. Dan Band concert and the air show for July 27, for the concert and July 28th for the airshow."

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

That's a pain mate, but it was possibly a bit early in the year ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 06, 2018, 06:21:33 AM
That's a pain mate, but it was possibly a bit early in the year ?
That's what I was thinking, too. I don't know, but, maybe they were trying to line it up to the very month and maybe close to the very day the airfield opened or something. It's normally better weather wise around here this time of year but this is just the beginning of Spring so winter weather can fire off its last shots.

Late July is good, despite the heat, because by then all the crazy spring storms are gone and the atmosphere is stable but.............THAT HEAT.  I'll have to drag a ton of things with me to stay cool.

That said, I think they made the right call with the wind and the temps in the 30s...   that's just ridiculous.
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

That would be nice. I'll have to re-evaluate what the deal is when we get closer to July. Heat and direct sunlight treat me different than most people and if I can't figure out something I'll have to miss this one!  Back up plan could be to sit around in my truck just ouside the fence in a church parking lot that's at the end of the runway. Bet I could still see the airshow pretty good from there and they won't strip me of all my cooling devices at the gate.  ;D

FOR NOW... the gates WOULD have opening in less than 5 hours. It's 5:15 AM here and the wind is up around 30 MPH with gusts well above, it's WELL below freezing, and it's raining/sleeting. Hell, I might even have to cancel work because I don't drive when the roads become ice skating rinks.
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Ah right. Need to take a view on the day then  :thumbsup:

We used to watch the Biggin Hill airshow from my mates back garden whilst having a bbq back in the day  :cheers:

TheChronicOne

That's the ticket, dude!!!! I have a 2nd back up plan that involves going over to aunt and uncles house and sitting in their back yard. Their house is probably 1,000 feet East of the Church parking lot and still pretty darn close to the runway.

Definitely will take me binoculars.  ;D 

STILL, I'm holding out hope that I can make it to the actual airfield but I can not risk killing myself in the heat. 

I have a sort of funny story about the Altus AFB (60 miles West of here) airshow that I wanted to make it to last year but couldn't because of work.......   there's a billboard at the end of the runway (slightly left of, of course) and since it was AUGUST I had a nutty idea of taking an alluminum ladder with me, pulling into the field where the billboard was at, and propping my ladder up on it and pretending like I'm with the billboard company that changes them.  ;D ;D    My work truck is all yellow and looks more like a work truck than most work trucks so it would just look like I was the "billboard guy" then I could sit there in the shade of the billboard and watch the airshow with my giant cooler of ice and water.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I'm all about that subterfuge, playa!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-