Tintin - 1/72 Bordurian Tank

Started by strobez, March 22, 2018, 04:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

Thanks Rick.  I think we're into the home stretch now.  After another flip through the Tintin comics, I noticed the back of the turret was noticeably wider than I'd made it, so i added a bit more plastic and it was back to the sanding/putty/sanding cycle. There was just a few missed spots last go 'round, so I'm hoping it'll pass the mustard this time around.  :wacko:

Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Is it just me, or does a tank with no hatch look "blind"?

The primer test only revealed a couple of left over flaws, so once I get those fixed up I'll drill a new hole for the hatch and start adding some of the surface detail.
Thanks!

Greg

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Old Wombat

Looking good! :thumbsup:

And, yes, it does, oddly, look blind. :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

Thanks guys!

Without the turret hatch, the thing reminded me of those eyeless fish found in deep underground caves... freaked me out a bit.  So i decided to fix the situation by adding on some of the extra bits.  Inthink it looks more normal now.  ;)

Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

The Bordurian Tank has these weird dual external mufflers on the back end, so the easiest solution seemed to be a bit of flattened tubing.

With that done, the last major bit of detailing is the rail that runs around the back of the turret.  At first I had a mind to do it using a bit of wire...

But that didn't work nearly as well as I'd hoped.  So then I glued up some more styrene tubing.  But after I sat back and admired my handiwork, I realized it was quite a bit out of scale.

Luckily I was able to fix it by pulling of the perimeter tubing, trimming back the supports, and then redoing it using some thinner tubing.  A much better result, so I decided to give the paint scheme a go.

ALMOST there.  Just one little gap on the back corner of the turret that still needed filling.  It's been quite stubborn, but I'm more stubborn and determined to win that battle.

The last thing I need to figure out how to do is the... stuff.. that goes around the base of the barrel.  Like a wadding or padding?  I'm not sure what's the best way to replicate it.  Is it cloth of some kind?  I'm not entirely sure what it's purpose is?  Muffle the sound? Keep the barrel warm between barrages? Just a fashion statement?  Maybe use some epoxy putty, but I want to give it some thought (and open the discussion up for bright ideas) before I commit to that sticky solution.

Thanks!

Greg

Dizzyfugu

It's typically cloth to keep dust outside. If the barrel does not have to move on the model, you can create this seal very effectively with paper tissues, drenched in a mix of water and white glue. Relatively easy to handle, and once dry the stuff has a nice texture. Works also well in order to simulate tarpaulin material.

zenrat

Its called the Mantlet cover.

I'd use Dizzy's suggested technique.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

A good suggestion.  It took a few attempts, but it was a lot more forgiving than the 2-part putty solution I'd been considering (which remained plan "b").  I still have to paint it, but I don't foresee any problems with that.

I also masked off and painted the little red circles.  A bit of overspray that will need a touch-up, but it worked well enough.  Basically all that's left is the mufflers.

Do I paint the rubber tracks? Will that work?

Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

I have only built one armoured vehicle with rubber tracks in recent years.  And I painted them with enamels.
I used to build a lot in the past and ISTR making sure I gave the tracks a scrub to ensure the paint stuck to them.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on May 05, 2018, 01:56:35 AM

I used to build a lot in the past and ISTR making sure I gave the tracks a scrub to ensure the paint stuck to them.

Yup and then giving them a good soak in clean water to ensure you have removed the last residue of washing up liquid or whatever from them.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Looks really good!  Now I have to find my Tintin books and re-read "The Calculus Affair" ...  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

nighthunter

Or you can take said tissue paper, and place it in paint and drape it over the mantlet
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

strobez

Thanks for the tips! I did my best to incorporate them... especially the "staple the treads" one.  That bit of business almost unravelled the entire build... :banghead:

Well, she's all finished... and I'm happy with the result.  My first ever tank! Now I'm a real boy! 

Thanks!

Greg