PZL.48 "Lampart (Leopard) Polish Fighter-Bomber

Started by Lrrr, March 23, 2018, 03:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lrrr

- Ardpol Models 1:72

Taking a stab at a model made in Poland to represent the Polish Aerospace Industry pre-WWII

Here's the model:

Lots'o'flash !  :o

I am Lrrr.

Lrrr

I am Lrrr.

Dizzyfugu

Looks like a solid nose variant of the Los bomber? Looks very good for a resin kit, though.

Lrrr

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 23, 2018, 03:49:09 AM
Looks like a solid nose variant of the Los bomber? Looks very good for a resin kit, though.

On the topic of the model itself: yes, I imagine they could have used the same mold as the Los.  Though Ardpol  lucked out there, since that's actually relatively historically accurate.

The two did follow a parallel design path.  It was the successor to the relatively underpowered V-8 engined PZL.38 Wilk (Wolf), which was designed by the same team as the Los, but was much, much smaller and lighter. 

Here is a historical image of the Polish aviation industry gearing up for WWII, though sadly a bit behind on mass production compared to Germany.  Los (center) next to Wilk (left)

The radial-engined PZL.48 was light enough in fact to be as fast as the Bf.110 with significantly less power, and have a lower wing loading than the FW.187 Falke (an excellent dogfighter). 

So had Poland not been invaded (or not invaded for a few more years) they may have had a top-notch twin-engined fighter.  But as only the PZL.38 version flew and wasn't adopted by any air forces despite being offered for sale, the Lampart remained a paper project.

I am Lrrr.

Lrrr

Theoretical Specifications [Wiki]

General characteristics

Crew: 2, pilot, rear gunner/bombardier
    Capacity: 1,100 kg (2,425.08 lb) useful load
    Length: 8.7 m (28 ft 7 in)
    Wingspan: 11.5 m (37 ft 9 in)
    Height: 2.5 m (8 ft 2 in)
    Wing area: 21.5 m2 (231 sq ft)
    Empty weight: 2,400 kg (5,291 lb)
    Gross weight: 3,500 kg (7,716 lb)
    Powerplant: 2 × Gnome-Rhône 14M-07 14-cyl. air-cooled two-row radial engines, 540 kW (730 hp) each

Performance

Maximum speed: 560 km/h (348 mph; 302 kn)
    Range: 1,500 km (932 mi; 810 nmi)
    Service ceiling: 10,000 m (33,000 ft)
    Rate of climb: 9 m/s (1,800 ft/min)
    Wing loading: 154 kg/m2 (32 lb/sq ft)

Armament

2 x 20 mm (0.787 in) Nkm wz.38 FK cannon fixed in nose
    2 x 7.92 mm (0.312 in) PWU wz.36 machine guns fixed in nose
    2 x 7.92 mm (0.312 in) PWU wz.37 machine guns on a flexible mounting to the rear
    300 kg (661.39 lb) of bombs
I am Lrrr.

PR19_Kit

Very neat, both the full size aircraft and the model.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Elegant aircraft. I could imagine that Hinomaru would look great on it, too. There's (at least to me) something very Japanese to it?

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 23, 2018, 06:03:27 AM
Very neat, both the full size aircraft and the model.  :thumbsup:

Absolutely. It's good to see this build as I've their PZL-38 II in the stash and that looks quite nice in the box.

Got to agree with Dizzy in that she wouldn't look out of place in Hinomaru
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Very nice looking aircraft & the stat's are pretty good for the era, too. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on March 23, 2018, 06:21:32 AM
Elegant aircraft. I could imagine that Hinomaru would look great on it, too. There's (at least to me) something very Japanese to it?

I agree, to does have a hint of Imperial Japanese Army

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 23, 2018, 05:11:45 PM
To me it looks French.

I do know what you mean but at that period in history French designers seem to have lost any affinity for the "elegant" for some reason ? Functionality, particularly for multi seaters, seems to have been the norm. And yes I know there were exceptions to that norm.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Lrrr

My vote is experimental American as closest in looks.

A-18 Shrike
A-38 Grizzly
I am Lrrr.

NARSES2

Quote from: Lrrr on March 24, 2018, 05:57:22 AM
My vote is experimental American as closest in looks.

A-18 Shrike
A-38 Grizzly

I can see where your coming from with the A-18 Shrike II in particular. Lovely looking aeroplane and made me get my LF kit out and have a quick drool  :wub: