USAF F-99C, Vietnam CAS, 1966-COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 25, 2018, 09:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Looking good!  :thumbsup:

Yes,I think the CBU's are a bit too far back: if you look at the Singaporean Hunter pic I posted, they're right up behind the Sabrinas, and they need to be forward of the tire/ground contact points for rotate clearance.

Remember that the weight limits on the 'new' wing pylons were probably quite low. We know that can take a Sidewinder or a handful of 80mm rockets, but I suspect a full napalm tank would be too much for them. There's also not much sideways clearance on the outboard 'new' pylon, i.e. the one in between the standard pylons, although, am I right in thinking that you've spaced the standard pylons out a bit more?

Here's a random though that's too late for this build. For the SEAD mission, delete the lower two cannons and replace them with internal link/case collector boxes. You can now get an avionics rack in place of their ammo boxes, and ESM/ECM aerials in the Sabrinas, which can be extended back as far as the main u/c doors, i.e. into the 'belly bomb' space.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Oh, yeah, certainly on her way to awesomeness! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

nighthunter

I still think that Sidewinders should be on the out most pylons.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

AeroplaneDriver

Moved the TER forward a little.  Looks much better and would work better.  Time to get ready for work, but a rainy day forecast here tomorrow so should get the fast few fiddly bits installed and get her finished. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

MiB

I'm sorry....ehmm....and the canopy? :unsure:
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

AeroplaneDriver

AeroplaneDriver

Well here she is...

Hawker F-99C Hunter, USAF 524 TFS, Vietnam
March 5, 1966

This Hunter is depicted before taking off for a CAS mission supporting US Army forces from the 28th Infantry Regiment during Operation Cocoa Beach.  It is armed with a  CAS loadout of 2 x BLU27 napalm canisters and 2 x CBU75 cluster bombs, plus 2 AIM-9B Sidewinder AAMs.  The Sidewinder was not a common weapon fitted to Hunters in Vietnam until the last year of its deployment in 1968, but were occasionally fitted.  This aircraft has a kill marking from downing a MiG-17 on an earlier mission when carrying Sidewinders. 

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jalles

Yeah, that's beautiful! It's just perfect, well done  :thumbsup:

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Weaver

Well that's come out looking really good - well done Sir!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency