Movie substitutes

Started by Caveman, March 26, 2018, 04:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan Hartke

Quote from: The Rat on April 10, 2018, 02:25:31 PM
I was thinking that he would have shot it so as to not have the shadow of the B-17 in the frame.

In 99% of the shots, he did. There's just a lot of footage of arctic flying in the film.

Cheers,

Logan

AS.12

Mr Kubrick had a reputation a stickler but sometimes even he had to just accept the limits of practicality.  Like using a Wessex in place of a UH-34* in Full Metal Jacket:

Even more sloppily, during the Hue approach scenes the shadow on the ground is of a Jet Ranger.

In fact the goof-list for that film is quite extensive; British road markings, type of palm trees not found in Vietnam, door-gunners appearing and disappearing...  Even the fatal Private Pyle scene in the toilet-block is marred by the fact tht he 'fires' with the safety on.

* Real-World parallel:  Air America had a stock of S-58T conversion kits in SEA and would borrow 'plain' piston UH-34s from the USMC and convert them to turbine with a kit ( whilst stashing the piston engine ).  When it came time to return that airframe to the Marines they'd swap it back to its original R-1820 engine and use the turbine kit for another one!

scooter

Quote from: AS.12 on April 10, 2018, 11:08:53 PMEven the fatal Private Pyle scene in the toilet-block is marred by the fact tht he 'fires' with the safety on.

That's one of my biggest pet peeves.  You see someone rocking with an M-16/M-4/AR-15, but the close ups have the dust cover closed. 

Then there's this famous substitution of a conventional-powered carrier for a nuke carrier

"And Admiral, it is the Enterprise"
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sandiego89

Quote from: AS.12 on April 10, 2018, 11:08:53 PM
Mr Kubrick had a reputation a stickler but sometimes even he had to just accept the limits of practicality.  Like using a Wessex in place of a UH-34* in Full Metal Jacket:

the Hue approach scenes the shadow on the ground is of a Jet Ranger.

In fact the goof-list for that film is quite extensive; British road markings, type of palm trees not found in Vietnam, door-gunners appearing and disappearing...  Even the fatal Private Pyle scene in the toilet-block is marred by the fact tht he 'fires' with the safety on.

* Real-World parallel:  Air America had a stock of S-58T conversion kits in SEA and would borrow 'plain' piston UH-34s from the USMC and convert them to turbine with a kit ( whilst stashing the piston engine ).  When it came time to return that airframe to the Marines they'd swap it back to its original R-1820 engine and use the turbine kit for another one!

What is even more incredible was that the Vietnam scenes were filmed in the UK!  Think that directly influenced some of the goofs you mention.   Get some!!!
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

KiwiZac

Quote from: MiB on March 26, 2018, 06:53:02 AM

In the 20th century, during the cold war, it was very difficult to find Soviet aircraft, so there were strange hybrids in the films of the time:
C-130 Hercules dressed soviet Antonov in "007 - The Living Daylights":

In some close-up shots it's replaced by a CASA C.212 or maybe a C-123 Provider. At the climax's airfield you can see a Fouga Magister amongst the "Soviet" aircraft!

This is a deep, deep topic. Just the use of T-6s could be a topic on its own...I think they played Skyraiders in Firefox...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

AS.12

Quote from: KiwiZac on April 11, 2018, 10:05:57 PM
At the climax's airfield you can see a Fouga Magister amongst the "Soviet" aircraft!

Also Broncos and Alpha Jets - only Morocco could give such variety!  Ouarzazate Airfield according to the Intertubes.

zenrat

Triumph parallel twins standing in for DKW or BMW flat twins in The Great Escape.
Allegedly because Bud Ekins, who did the jump, wouldn't try it on anything else.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Maybe the pistons going up and down rather than from side to side helped the bike get that little bit higher?  ;)

During the few years I owned a Bonneville (with a sidecar I might add) it seemed to have a permanent vertical vibration component the entire time I rode it!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

And the motorcycles seem to have the same numberplate, with the left one badly retouched.  :banghead:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

AS.12

impdb.org doesn't mention it but Billion Dollar Brain had a brief view of Bassingbourn-based RAF Canberras with Soviet stars, being bombed-up in fake snow.

Very brief flying view at 06:25 here:

https://youtu.be/-ZP4NbqKngg?t=385

jcf

The DKW NZ250/350/500 engine is a split-single - two pistons in one cylinder,  two-stroke,
the Zundapp machines were flat twins like the BMW. So the BSA isn't a terrible stand-in.

zenrat

Is this 633 Squadron Mossie not a Mosquito bomber with the glass nose painted over and dummy gun barrels attached?

There is an episode of The Avengers where Steed and his partner (I can't remember if it's Tara King or Emma Peel - but its in colour so its not Cathy Gale.  Roy Kinnear is also in the episode) are running around an airfield on which several Mosquitos are parked.  At least one of which has a similar nose treatment.
I have always assumed that these were aircraft which had been used to film 633 Squadron.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Rheged

At least it was the right species of aeroplane, even if it was the wrong variety. They could have used a "something else entirely" and relied on the ignorance of the average punter.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Fred

AS.12

Quote from: Rheged on April 13, 2018, 07:06:17 AM
At least it was the right species of aeroplane, even if it was the wrong variety.

On that topic, there was a WW2 movie that kept cutting to stock footage of a C-119 for air-drops but I'm not having any success finding it.

Edit: ah it wasn't a movie it was the series Hogan's Heroes:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0602402/goofs/?tab=gf&ref_=tt_trv_gf

USAF titles and Arctic red panels for extra inappropriateness :)