Movie substitutes

Started by Caveman, March 26, 2018, 04:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Logan Hartke on March 26, 2018, 08:26:53 AM

PR19_Kit beat me to my favorite, too.

Magic Logan, that's exactly the shot I had in mind.  :thumbsup:

I've always presumed the Buff was a model, as it was well before the time of CGI, and if so it was very well done.

[Later] Actually maybe not so well done. It's a sort of hybrid G and H model. The fin looks too tall for either version and the fan portion of the engines looks too small and too long as well.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Then there were the F-84Fs painted in North Korean markings to replicate Mig-15s for the Robert Mitchum film "The Hunters".
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

TheChronicOne

Quote from: scooter on March 26, 2018, 05:51:49 AM
Don't forget about Phantoms dressed up as MiGs in one of the Iron Turkeys Eagles

I was going to mention that one as I actually made an F-4 model as a "tribute" to the movie planes which were just Israeli F-4s. I really like the Iron Eagle movies even though the get progressively worse. In fact, I'd say the first one is actually really GOOD!  Second, not so bad, but difficult to get around certain things.  There are other "subs" in them as well like the APC thing in part II that was supposed to be some fancy Russian "tank" or whatever.

Great thread!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

Rheged

I recall a film critic  many many years ago commenting that the warships in the film "The Battle of the River Plate"1956  were, in his expert view totally unconvincing substitutes. He was particularly scathing about Altmark,  HMS Cumberland and HMS Achilles, informing his readers that all three ships were "spectacularly wrong". Below is an extract from Wikipaedia:-

Pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee played by heavy cruiser USS Salem
The supply ship Altmark played by the fleet oiler RFA Olna.
HMS Ajax, flagship, played by HMS Sheffield
HMS Exeter played by HMS Jamaica
HMNZS Achilles played by herself (at the time in service with the Indian Navy as INS Delhi)
HMS Cumberland played by herself when she joins the British squadron after the battle
German freighter Tacoma, which took the crew off Graf Spee before scuttling, played by RFA Fort Duquesne.
Gunboat Uruguay, boarding the Tacoma, was played by a British Ton-class minesweeper.

Aren't critics remarkably knowledgeable,perceptive people!!

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on March 26, 2018, 11:48:21 AM

I really like the Iron Eagle movies even though the get progressively worse. In fact, I'd say the first one is actually really GOOD!  Second, not so bad, but difficult to get around certain things.  There are other "subs" in them as well like the APC thing in part II that was supposed to be some fancy Russian "tank" or whatever.

Funny you should say that, Iron Eagle 4 was shown on a TV channel in the UK tonight. It had a 'squadron' of bright yellow T-6s, flown by teenagers, taking on some renegade USAF people on the ground who had M60s and similar stuff. Luckily their 'instructor' was passed out on F-16s and he happened to have one handy, with which he shot up all the bad guys. etc. etc.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

lmao  Downright strange stuff there in the last ones they made.  ;D ;D ;D

Number 3 is just as ridiculous if memory serves. 2 approaches plausibility but is still somewhat goofy........... but 3 and 4 (did they make any after that?!) are just strange. I think 3 was some weird malarkey about drug runners in South America or something, by the by.

-Sprues McDuck-

scooter

The USS Alabama...standing for both the USS Missouri (semi-plausible) in Under Siege and a Kirov-class battlecruiser in the 1st season of the show The Last Ship :o
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

Spey_Phantom

i have seen a number of substitutes in other movies and tv shows too.

for exaple the experimental MiG in one of the last A-Team episodes was an A-4 Skyhawk.
also, in another war movie (cant remember witch one) a T-28 posed as a Japanese fighter.

ive seen Iron Eagle 4 too, it was really bad, especiaaly when the "instructor" got out of his "F-16" when it suddenly turned into a CF-5D Freedom Fighter on the ground.

and then there's "5 o'clock Charlie" in M*A*S*H who flies a DPRK Ryan PT-22  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

You might imagine Lysanders playing at being German army-coop/dive-bomber/liason types in some movie. They're very close in form and function to an Hs 126.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

In the Armour world:

M24 Chaffees as Panzer IV's

and something British

M41's as Shermans

M47 Pattons as ... something German ... Tigers/Panthers??

M48 Pattons as ... something American

and as German Tiger I's (in the same movie)

Then there's the Raiders mash-up (I can't recall the construction)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

The Raiders Of The Lost Ark 'Beast' tank was built on a truck chassis IIRC. There are at least two resin kits of it on the market, by Copplestone Castings and Retrokits (again IIRC).

EDIT: Yep!

Copplestone 1/55th scale: http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/prod.php?prod=391 (lots of other tasty goodness on that site too)

Retrokit 1/72nd scale: https://retrokitonline.net/product/steel-beast

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

IIRC the M-47s were playing King Tigers in "The Battle of the Bulge" and the M-48s were in "Patton" (how appropriate!)

McColm

Ice Station Zebra also used F-4 Phantoms to represent Mig fighters.
In an episode of the ITV  television series the Professionals they use footage of a Jaguar in one shot and a close up of a Harrier in another going back to the Jaguar.

kerick

There was a C-130 standing in for a Japanese four engine flying boat (Mavis?) in The Battle of Midway Movie IIRC.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise