Movie substitutes

Started by Caveman, March 26, 2018, 04:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AS.12

From 'the other side', CSA Tu-104 OK-NDF faking it as an Alitalia DC-8 for a 1975 film.  Double-logo to avoid any uncertainty!

Source page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrischenn76/34266006986

TheChronicOne

That would be a cool one to model.   :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 09, 2018, 04:02:19 AM

Hmmmm, I have the rather rare Tu-104 kit (modelled by Tuplolev no less!) and some Alitalia decals too.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AS.12

And here's the film in question.  Also some Aerflot Tu-104s and a genuine SAS Caravelle!

https://youtu.be/ToqtGEqua-U?t=316

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 09, 2018, 04:50:22 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 09, 2018, 04:02:19 AM

Hmmmm, I have the rather rare Tu-104 kit (modelled by Tuplolev no less!) and some Alitalia decals too.  ;)

Uh oh!! Time to get back to Airliners, biggin!!    ;D

As for me, I just found another one to keep my eyes peeled for. I never heard of an actual aircraft company making models before, how cool!
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 09, 2018, 05:01:21 AM

As for me, I just found another one to keep my eyes peeled for. I never heard of an actual aircraft company making models before, how cool!

I don't think it's the same Tupolev, the full size Tuploev designs the things, not builds them. They do things differently in Russia.  ;D

And that 'SAS Caravelle' in the film is a DC9 of some sort, those blisters on the side of the engines are very distinctive. And there's a head-on view of a Tu-114 too, just as they're all walking down the long corridor thing.

[Later] Actually if you go back to the start of that film there's ALL sorts showing up there. (By pass the crazy titles with the flashing lights though) There's Aeroflot IL-18s, Tu-104s, Tu-114s, Tu-154s, a CSA Tu-134s, an Air France 727 as well as the 'Alitalia' Tu-104 and the SAS DC9. You see the DC9 landing at one point.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Snowtrooper

Yes, the Soviet films are also a treasure trove of whiffs.

Solo Voyage starts promisingly, as it uses newsreel footage of real US naval manoeuvres (so at least USS Nimitz isn't portrayed by Kiev class). But this later backfires when even the main Soviet ship (supposedly a Kresta class cruiser) is portrayed by various ships changing from shot to shot, and at least in the translation is variably called a frigate, destroyer, cruiser, or battleship (though this may be the translator's fault). Also, when things start happening, the film has strange American missile boats (?!) most certainly not portrayed by Osa class, and an American submarine not portrayed by something that more resembles a scale model of a Foxtrot or Whiskey class (mind you, this takes place in the 1980's, not in the 1950's). And in a desperate attempt to differentiate the American infantry weapons when M16's and M60's were not available, the Americans in the film wield Stg44's and the extremely distinctive ZB vz 26's (aka the original version of BREN) borrowed from presumably Czech comrades. None of this would matter of course if the film itself was watchable, but even using 80's action films as a yardstick, it's so awful it's just awful.

For comparison, the hilarious dated propaganda* film Coordinates of Death which was produced the same year was shot in Vietnam and thus could actually use US hardware delivered to South Vietnam (as to why an anti-Vietnam war propaganda film would be filmed in 1985 is another question) so is at least partially believable in this sense (and this sense only), though of course aircraft selection was limited (airworthy Hueys are used throughout though). Which makes me wonder, since the "tropics" shots for Solo Voyage were surprisingly filmed in Cuba anyway (instead of the expected studio backlot decorated with plastic palm trees), how much more expensive would it have been to film them in Vietnam where all that hardware would have been available as that was not done?

*) Yeah, even going by 80's action movie standards this really is propaganda, and that is really saying something. For example, there are long segments in the film when it doesn't even have a plot or characters, only a narrator explaining how cruel evil the imperialists are while a montage of (re-enacted) airstrikes and the like plays out.

Mossie

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 27, 2018, 04:09:52 AM
Then there's the Raiders mash-up (I can't recall the construction)

The design of the Indy tank (it's from The Last Crusade) was heavily based on the WWI Mark VIII International.  They pretty much copied that design (with a few detail differences, except they replaced the tower with a turret.
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/USA/Mark-VIII-Liberty.php

George Lucas wanted a tank that looked archaic by WWII standards.  I could quite easily see it as a late twenties derivative design of the Mark VIII, it might be good to dress up one of the models Weaver posted as such.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

AS.12

I vaguely recall a Korean-war film with F-84s dressed-up as MiG-15s.  Can't find it right now though.

And no sooner had I clicked Submit that I remembered; The Hunters.

And in a similar manner, P-51s with Luftwaffe markings vs All-American P-47s in Fighter Squadron:

https://youtu.be/kOiiSRHXkS8?t=2926

NARSES2

I've always thought the Last Crusade tank was inspired by the British TOG 1 tank of early WWII.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/tog1-HD.jpg

I was always told that TOG stood for "The Old Gang" as it was the design team behind a lot of the early tanks
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I'm pretty sure there was a "Thank you" to the Bovington Tank Museum in the movie credits.

I assume because of this:
QuoteSpecial effects artist George Gibbs visited a museum to negotiate renting a small French World War I tank for the film, but ultimately decided on building one. The Mark VII Tank was a replica vehicle built on an old excavator chassis. It was based on the real-world Tank Mark VIII which possessed no main top turret. The replica measured 36 feet (11 m) long and weighed 28 short tons (25 t).

The Mark VIII;

Although to me it seems to be based more on the Mark V** with some Mark VIII elements;
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

It's clearly based on the Mk VIII, where the aft slope starts is much closer to the VIII than the V**.

You can download a free paper model of the Mk VIII, by Wayne McCullough, and a bunch more, from the Landships site:
http://www.landships.info/landships/models.html#

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2018, 08:15:31 AMNot quite a 'substitute' but my fave of such mangled aviation 'history' was in Dr Strangelove, where the last remaining B-52 is looooow down over the Russian mountains heading for its target, but its shadow on the ground below is that of a B-17!  :o

I'm amazed that Kubrick didn't bother to do something about the shadow of the aircraft that took the stock footage for that. He was such a stickler for accuracy.

In a similar, but totally intentional vein, was the movie Airplane! The aircraft was a jet, but the sound effects used were for a prop airliner.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

jcf

Quote from: The Rat on April 10, 2018, 02:20:32 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2018, 08:15:31 AMNot quite a 'substitute' but my fave of such mangled aviation 'history' was in Dr Strangelove, where the last remaining B-52 is looooow down over the Russian mountains heading for its target, but its shadow on the ground below is that of a B-17!  :o

I'm amazed that Kubrick didn't bother to do something about the shadow of the aircraft that took the stock footage for that. He was such a stickler for accuracy.

Which suggests that not altering it was possibly intentional and, of course, it wasn't really doable
with the film technology of the period. No digital magic available.

The Rat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 10, 2018, 02:23:18 PM
Quote from: The Rat on April 10, 2018, 02:20:32 PM

Which suggests that not altering it was possibly intentional and, of course, it wasn't really doable
with the film technology of the period. No digital magic available.

I was thinking that he would have shot it so as to not have the shadow of the B-17 in the frame.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr