Movie substitutes

Started by Caveman, March 26, 2018, 04:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: AS.12 on April 14, 2018, 12:58:34 AM
Quote from: Rheged on April 13, 2018, 07:06:17 AM
At least it was the right species of aeroplane, even if it was the wrong variety.

On that topic, there was a WW2 movie that kept cutting to stock footage of a C-119 for air-drops but I'm not having any success finding it.

Edit: ah it wasn't a movie it was the series Hogan's Heroes:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0602402/goofs/?tab=gf&ref_=tt_trv_gf

USAF titles and Arctic red panels for extra inappropriateness :)

I don't think the makers of Hogan's Heroes were overly concerned with accuracy.
There is an episode where they "escape", go to an airfield, steal a German plane, bomb a target and then return the plane before returning to the camp.
At least two different aircraft are shown in flight and the interior shots are filmed under what looks suspiciously like a mock up of a Lancaster canopy.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Dutch Leopard 1a1s masquerading as I assume Panther tanks in the movie, A Bridge Too Far...

M47 Pattons as Tiger IIs in the move Battle of the Bulge

Courage Under Fire vismodded Centurions to look like M1s

Kelly's Heroes featured T-34s modified to resemble Tiger Is

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

AS.12

Those T-34-Tigers are pretty impressive.

Not a direct 'substitute' as such but the SWAT APC in the original 'Die Hard' was an M8 Greyhound with the turret removed.

jcf

Quote from: Rheged on April 13, 2018, 07:06:17 AM
At least it was the right species of aeroplane, even if it was the wrong variety. They could have used a "something else entirely" and relied on the ignorance of the average punter.

Not likely as there was nothing at all similar in appearance, it was only twenty years after the war,
and the Mossie was as iconic - and recognizable, as the Spitfire and Lancaster to a large swath of
the "average punters".

At the time there were enough still around to use, mostly being operated as target tow aircraft by
contractors, five were flown in the film, others for ground taxiing only. Four of the flying TT 35
received the gun-nose makeover, a single solid-nose T 3 was also flown.

martinbayer

Quote from: The Rat on April 10, 2018, 02:20:32 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2018, 08:15:31 AMNot quite a 'substitute' but my fave of such mangled aviation 'history' was in Dr Strangelove, where the last remaining B-52 is looooow down over the Russian mountains heading for its target, but its shadow on the ground below is that of a B-17!  :o

I'm amazed that Kubrick didn't bother to do something about the shadow of the aircraft that took the stock footage for that. He was such a stickler for accuracy.

In a similar, but totally intentional vein, was the movie Airplane! The aircraft was a jet, but the sound effects used were for a prop airliner.  ;D

I seem to remember (caution - geezer typing) that in 2001 there is a scene where Frank Poole is leaving a Space Pod and the shadow of the cables suspending actor Gary Lockwood are visible on the pod - perhaps Kubrick somehow had a blind spot for shadows...

As an aside, in some scenes involving the space plane approaching the space station, even though the station rotates, the sun lighting on the Orion III doesn't...

Still one of my top movies ever though...

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

martinbayer

And then there's Concorde 101 G-AXDN at Duxford, which was used as a B-1 stand-in for loading cruise missiles in the "Never Say Never Again" James Bond movie in 1983.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

NARSES2

Quote from: AS.12 on April 14, 2018, 06:24:31 AM

Yup. I always thought they made a good effort with that one. But they only had to do the one conversion I think, which made life a little easier.

Quote from: rickshaw on April 14, 2018, 05:39:04 AM

M47 Pattons as Tiger IIs in the move Battle of the Bulge

And Robert Shaw playing a stereotypical blonde panzer officer  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: AS.12 on April 14, 2018, 06:24:31 AM

Second that. But it looks so dimunuitive, like a driving school vehicle for cadets...  ;D

McColm

I watched the film Bulletproof on YouTube. They used a SeaKing helicopter to represent the MIL-24 Hind by adding a pair of stub pylons. The American trucks were painted to look like Russian ones and that tank was bigger on the inside than the outside.

Caveman

June addition of Aeroplane has some interesting Harvard substitutes in "A bridge too far" & "Soldat van Oranje" representing: typhoon, p-47, D.XXI and Fw 190.
secretprojects forum migrant

scooter

I'm surprised the Bell 47 from Where Eagles Dare isn't mentioned for standing in for some mysterious Luftwaffe helo.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

AS.12

Quote from: scooter on May 22, 2018, 04:32:59 PM
I'm surprised the Bell 47 from Where Eagles Dare isn't mentioned for standing in for some mysterious Luftwaffe helo.

Which led me to the IMDB Goofs page.  I'll never be able to watch that film again :(

Deliberately not linking to save others from that fate.

scooter

Quote from: AS.12 on May 22, 2018, 10:59:29 PM
Quote from: scooter on May 22, 2018, 04:32:59 PM

Which led me to the IMDB Goofs page.  I'll never be able to watch that film again :(

Deliberately not linking to save others from that fate.

I know.  Looking at the Goofs page on IMDB makes me think that those people who note them down are the JMNs of film.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

bluedonkey99

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2018, 08:39:07 AM
Quote from: Logan Hartke on March 26, 2018, 08:26:53 AM

PR19_Kit beat me to my favorite, too.

Magic Logan, that's exactly the shot I had in mind.  :thumbsup:

I've always presumed the Buff was a model, as it was well before the time of CGI, and if so it was very well done.

[Later] Actually maybe not so well done. It's a sort of hybrid G and H model. The fin looks too tall for either version and the fan portion of the engines looks too small and too long as well.......

is it my eyes  - or can you see that shadow of a B-17 under the B-52, was the B-17 the Camera Truck?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: bluedonkey99 on May 25, 2018, 02:04:17 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2018, 08:39:07 AM
Quote from: Logan Hartke on March 26, 2018, 08:26:53 AM

PR19_Kit beat me to my favorite, too.

Magic Logan, that's exactly the shot I had in mind.  :thumbsup:

I've always presumed the Buff was a model, as it was well before the time of CGI, and if so it was very well done.

[Later] Actually maybe not so well done. It's a sort of hybrid G and H model. The fin looks too tall for either version and the fan portion of the engines looks too small and too long as well.......

is it my eyes  - or can you see that shadow of a B-17 under the B-52, was the B-17 the Camera Truck?

That was actually my point, that's how it appeared in the film...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit