Movie substitutes

Started by Caveman, March 26, 2018, 04:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: scooter on May 23, 2018, 01:44:44 AM
Quote from: AS.12 on May 22, 2018, 10:59:29 PM
Quote from: scooter on May 22, 2018, 04:32:59 PM
I'm surprised the Bell 47 from Where Eagles Dare isn't mentioned for standing in for some mysterious Luftwaffe helo.

Which led me to the IMDB Goofs page.  I'll never be able to watch that film again :(

Deliberately not linking to save others from that fate.

I know.  Looking at the Goofs page on IMDB makes me think that those people who note them down are the JMNs of film.

...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...               ...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...               ...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...               ...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...               ...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...               ...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...               ...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...               ...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...               ...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...

I've read that page but it still remains my favourite movie ever.  IMO it's the ultimate Alistair McLean movie perfectly capturing his twisty plotting style combined with both Clint Eastwood AND Richard Burton.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JayBee

WED is a great film, well with Burton, Eastwood, etc., how could it be otherwise, and don't forget the Harvards at Oberhausen airfield.

Earlier to-day I was flicking through the TV channels and caught a bit of "Behemoth, the sea monster" a rather cheesy early Sc-Fi movie. The bit I saw was where the scientist was being rushed to London by air. Lovely soundtrack of, I think, a couple of DeH Gipsies as the aircraft touched down. Pity as the film actually showed a Hawker Sea Hawk.  :rolleyes:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

Just found a bloody clip from a Korean film called My Way, showing a battle between the Japanese and the Russians in 1938, which features an awful lot of Russian 'BT-5 or 7' tanks: clearly replicas (real BT-5/7s had Christie suspension) but damned good ones. Looking at the Wiki page, it turns out that they were based on FV432 chassis, but I think they must have taken the original bodies completely off.

Here's the clip on Youtube (pretty graphic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvrRkza7C_w
Here's the Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way_%282011_film%29

Incidentally, the film is based loosely on the life of Yang Kyoungjong, a Korean who was conscripted first into the Japanese Army, then the Red Army, and finally the Wehrmacht before being captured by the Americans after D-Day. As far as is known, he's the only soldier to have served on three sides of a modern war: Hell of a story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong

Pics from here: https://www.imcdb.org/v585232.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

As you say apart from the running gear they are nice attempts at BT's  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Probably a lot faster than BT's. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Ice Cold in Alex.

Hell freezes over and polar bears roam the Egyptian deserts.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on June 25, 2018, 12:24:36 PM

Hell freezes over and polar bears roam the Egyptian deserts.

.....and get mad because they trip over the tips of the pyramids sticking out of the ice and start chasing all the humans about.

Oh, perhaps there aren't any humans left?  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 25, 2018, 07:46:38 AM

Nope.

BT-7
road:72-86 km/h (45 to 53 mph)
off-road: 50 km/h (31 mph)

FV432
52 km/hh (32 mph)

Weaver

The BT was arguably the best direct implementation of the Christie concept. 45mm high-velocity gun and fast as hell. Thin armour, but that was par for the course at the time.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 25, 2018, 03:05:26 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on June 25, 2018, 07:46:38 AM

Nope.

BT-7
road:72-86 km/h (45 to 53 mph)
off-road: 50 km/h (31 mph)

FV432
52 km/hh (32 mph)

Ah, saved me looking it up  :thumbsup: I thought the BT's would be faster but had no idea what the 432 could do. Cheers Jon

Quote from: Weaver on June 25, 2018, 05:03:21 PM
The BT was arguably the best direct implementation of the Christie concept. 45mm high-velocity gun and fast as hell. Thin armour, but that was par for the course at the time.

Very much so and an attractive tank as well. I've always liked them. Mind you I also like the rather larger multi turreted designs from the same period as well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.