Bede BD-5, BD-5J, BD-10 etc..

Started by Weaver, March 31, 2018, 06:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Given the amount of whiff interest these things generate, I was surprised to see there wasn't a research/ideas thread for them, so now there is. :thumbsup:

BD-5 info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bede_BD-5
http://bd5.com/
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/kits-and-plans/00---c/bede-bd-5

Original V-tailed prototype:

BD-5 and -5J cutaways:

Yes, it really is that small!

They DO have a military use! These SMART aircraft are/were BD-5Js used to simulate cruise missiles for training:

Some oddball variations:

Possibly the safest BD-5s ever!

(Yes, that was Bede's real 'simulator' setup... :o)

Why do I say that? Well reading the articles, they are quite 'crashy'... :o

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Okay, so reading the articles, a few things strike me:

1. The aircraft is SO small that it's impractical: you need at least space for an overnight bag and a few tools!

2. The original V-tailed prototype suffered longitudinal stability issues, causing Bede to go over to a conventional tail. However, when you look at how much bigger that conventional tail was, you've got to wonder if the V-tail's problem wasn't it's V-ness, just the fact that it was too small.

3. Pilots of early versions reported longitudinal trim issues, and the solution developed by support companies was simply to lengthen the airframe a little.

4. The high thrust line is a contributory factor in crashes due to the pitch-up moment induced by an engine failure, leading to an avoidable stall. The prop version obviously needs that high thrust line to avoid a prop/ground interface, but the jet version really doesn't...

So, put all this together, and I can see a product-improved BD-5J with a longer fuselage (two or three feet), a baggage compartment behind the seat, the jet engine lowered so that it's thrust line goes through the centre of mass parallel to the fuselage datum, and a reversion to the V-tails, but with much more surface area. If you can find (or make) a suitable small turbofan (for better fuel efficiency), then the V-tail arrangement also makes room for enlarged conventional air intakes to feed the greater mass flow. :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on March 31, 2018, 06:25:19 AM

So, put all this together, and I can see a product-improved BD-5J with a longer fuselage (two or three feet), a baggage compartment behind the seat, the jet engine lowered so that it's thrust line goes through the centre of mass parallel to the fuselage datum, and a reversion to the V-tails, but with much more surface area. If you can find (or make) a suitable small turbofan (for better fuel efficiency), then the V-tail arrangement also makes room for enlarged conventional air intakes to feed the greater mass flow. :thumbsup:

....and longer wings.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

MiB

My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 31, 2018, 09:27:29 AM

Maybe so actually: the prop-job's wings are longer, so if you've pushed the weight up enough, they could be justified.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Hah! The BD-5 page has this photoshopped concept of a stretched one: great minds (and me) think alike!

From here: http://www.bd5.com/bd01001.htm I disagree with the website author: this definitely SHOULD be attempted!

- Indiana Jones

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 31, 2018, 09:27:29 AM

The BD-5B had longer wings for cross country use,
and the BD-5S had even longer wings of 27'10" (8.48M) span.
Only one of this sailplane version of the BD-5 was built and it had considerable control problems, so it was not progressed with.
The longer fuselage might well have worked.

As far as the BD-5 goes, the Nov/Dec 2013 issue of Jets magazine has an artcle on the FLS Microjet which is a 40years down the line re-vamp of the BD-5.
It looks the same from the outside but has a lot of changes internally including a full electronic cockpit display.

The LS, and later Otaki re-pop, give the BD-5J and the BD-5B, with appropriate wings. It is easy enogh to cut down the wing for the original BD-5 span.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

Other interesting Bedery:

Bede XBD-2. That rear fuselage keel and high prop line look familiar, don't they? Only one built.
Laminar flow design with suction from 1600 holes generated by a compressor in the (twin) engine compartment.

Bede BD-7. BD-5ish four-seater. Prototype never flew.

Bede BD-8. That rear fuselage keel etc, etc....  Only one built.

Bede BD-12. Two-seat side-by-side BD-5, basically. Only one built.

Bede BD-14. Stretched four-seat BD-12. Only one allegedly built, but there seem to be no pics of it... :unsure:

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Aaaand thanks to them being mentioned on a totally unrelated thread, I'm please to point out that Draw Decal do decal sheets for the BD-5J in Bud Light and Coors Light schemes:

http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/searchresults.asp?cat=2207

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on March 31, 2018, 11:46:20 AM

It is easy enough to cut down the wing for the original BD-5 span.

Heresy, HERESY I say!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Actually, there were FOUR different wing sizes on various BD-5 versions:

BD-5A : This had the original small wing for highest performance and agility, with a span of 14'3". It was supposed to have been dropped during development because it only showed an advantage near Vmax and had a very high stall speed (for a light aircraft) but due to the chaotic state of manufacture and delivery, some of the earliest kits were only shipped with an A-wing. ALL four aircraft completed with this wing crashed on their first flight, three on take-off and one on landing, with three fatalities. :o :angry:

BD-5B : This has the original 'touring' wing, with a span of 21'6". It's the standard wing for prop-driven BD-5s.

BD-5J : This has an 'intermediate' wing with a span of 17'.

BD-5G : This is a third party kit by Alturair Inc. which has a modern piston engine and the 17' wing.

BD-5S : This is the unsuccessful sailplane version of which only one was made. I've seen a figure of 38' for the wingspan, but I'm not sure that it's right.

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

I think the high thrust line of the propeller powered BD-5 could be fixed with longer landing gear legs.  That would allow the prop-shaft to be lowered and there wouldn't be any risk of a ground strike.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on March 31, 2018, 08:00:21 PM
I think the high thrust line of the propeller powered BD-5 could be fixed with longer landing gear legs.  That would allow the prop-shaft to be lowered and there wouldn't be any risk of a ground strike.   :thumbsup:

Shouldn't be a problem with the main gear, but making the nosewheel leg longer could be problematic: it pivots about six inches behind the nose and the tire's already at risk of getting pregnant by the pilot... :o

Another solution that occurs to me is to move the prop shaft down, then replace the prop with a multi-blade ducted fan of about the same diameter as the height of the fuselage. As a bonus, the increased side area might let you reduce the size of the fin a bit.

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on March 31, 2018, 08:15:32 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on March 31, 2018, 08:00:21 PM

Shouldn't be a problem with the main gear, but making the nosewheel leg longer could be problematic: it pivots about six inches behind the nose and the tire's already at risk of getting pregnant by the pilot... :o

Just increase the length of the nose.  Might need a taller fin as well.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.