Main Menu

Blanik

Started by JayBee, April 02, 2018, 08:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Recently I posted in the "My stash just grew again" thread that I had got the Mark 1 kit of the L-13 Blanik in 1/144scale, and I have decided to build one of them (you get two in the box) as I have a cunning plan for a WhatIf.

The model is small and not for the fainthearted, those with failing eyesight, or those with degenerating hand/eye co-ordination.
Why the He11 am I building this?

So here are a couple of photos of the cockpit interior, next to a Swan Morton No. 10A blade. What you are seeing has three parts, the floor and the seat backs. The rear seat includes the cockpit bulkhead.
As you may see there are two small holes for the control columns that are provided.
DON'T BE SILLY off course I am not going to fit them.

Watch this space, possibly with a magnifying glass.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

Nice one. I picked  up the old-but-good Modela 1/48th one recently for next to nothing because it had a grotty box and no decals. You could pinch the wing and put it on something 1/72nd to make Kit like it more, but it'd have to be something small...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on April 02, 2018, 08:57:01 AM

You could pinch the wing and put it on something 1/72nd to make Kit like it more, but it's have to be something small...

Yes, nice looking wings on a Blanik. Swept forward AND with the tip fairings, they look rather out-of-worldly somehow.

And they go 'CLANG' if you tap them too, very weird on a sailplane.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Flippi' heck Jim that's tiny  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

The wings are now on. Here it is in the jig that I am using to make sure that  the dihedral is correct.

Next are the instrument panels, and they are rather small. Here they are still attached to the sprue runner.

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

PR19_Kit

That's looking great Jim, brings back fond memories.  :thumbsup:

As I recall the cockpit sides were a LOT thinner than that though, more like the thickness of a bean can.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: JayBee on April 04, 2018, 08:50:03 AM
Next are the instrument panels, and they are rather small. Here they are still attached to the sprue runner.

I do hope you're going to check all your reference photos carefully to make sure you use the right font when you paint the markings on the dials...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

There is no way I could put that together.

You da man.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

That is a rare subject but a beautiful little model. Go on! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 05, 2018, 02:57:06 AM
There is no way I could put that together.

Me neither
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Quote from: Weaver on April 04, 2018, 05:25:55 PM

I do hope you're going to check all your reference photos carefully to make sure you use the right font when you paint the markings on the dials...

Done, but they are so small I doubt if your eyes would be able to see them.  :wacko:

Cats are not real. 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on April 05, 2018, 05:59:16 AM
Quote from: Weaver on April 04, 2018, 05:25:55 PM

Done, but they are so small I doubt if your eyes would be able to see them.  :wacko:

But are they in Metric or Imperial?  ;)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

In this case, Imperial.

Cats are not real. 

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

JayBee

The next step was to fit the canopy so that I could see just where the instrument panels should go. Tricky, it did not fit. However all that was required was a bit of carving away of the wing roots, and here it is.

Then I glued some small pieces of plasticard to the back of the kit instrument panels. This is to make them wide enough to fit into the cockpit and also to give the correct shape for the coming that protects them. Unfortunately, as they are so small, neither of my cameras will take a picture close enough, even in Macro mode, to show what I am talking about.

Cats are not real.