EBMA Bottle Stand - build and revue

Started by Weaver, April 04, 2018, 05:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Model bench storage company EBMA had a stand at the recent Stoke-on-Trent Model Show, and I picked up this handy little bottle stand from them. I've lost a bunch of parts to one glue spill and had a couple of near misses, so it seemed like a good bargain, and better than the improvised solutions I've been using up to now.

Here's what you get for £5. The basic stand is £4.50 with four plain circular tops, plus extra tops at 50p each. I got the 'double bubble' one, sized for a pair of Microsol and Microset bottle. There are also square and rectangular tops:

The stand, like all their products, is made from laser-cut MDF. Assembly is easy: you just glue it together. I used superglue for speed and strength, but you could use wood glue too. They recommend building the sides first, using the base as a template before gluing the sides to the base:

Here it is glued to the base. The whole build only took about 20 minutes, and that included taking pictures!

And here it is with the top attached by it's turnbuckles. You get four circular tops in the basic set, with 35, 40, 45 and 50mm holes:

You also get two spare turnbuckles. I taped these to the inside of the stand for safe keeping:

Here it is with a couple of different-sized single bottles. You might possibly still manage to knock it over with that tall, heavy thinners bottle in it, but you'd have to hit it bloody hard:

And here's the Microset/Microsol combination. These tall, thin plastic bottles are always prone to getting knocked over, so it was this top that really sold be on the stand. Note that it also includes two brush holders (front and rear). The 33mm holes will also hold Humbrol paint tinlets supported by their rims, although if you put two in there, the rims will overlap:

Here's the rectangular top (which I didn't buy):

This stand seems to me to be a thoroughly good idea, it's easy to build and well made. IIRC, both Trevor and Richard, who were on the What If stand with me, went and bought one after I'd told them about it. EBMA also do a large range of paint and tool storage systems, all made of the same laser-cut MDF.

EBMA's website: http://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/
The Bottle Stand: http://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=74

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Hi H.

I picked up their brochure/catalogue at Telford (I think) and must admit was quite interested. Having now see your review I think I'll be picking a couple up next time I see them at a show. I'll need both square and round style tops at least.

Cheers  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: Weaver on April 04, 2018, 05:10:43 AM
Here it is with a couple of different-sized single bottles. You might possibly still manage to knock it over with that tall, heavy thinners bottle in it, but you'd have to hit it bloody hard:

Or you have cats.  Because, you know, everything must be on the floor. ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

Quote from: scooter on April 04, 2018, 05:28:57 AM
Or you have cats.  Because, you know, everything must be on the floor. ;D

I'm afraid that the only laser-cut MDF solution to cats is the one proposed by Erwin Schrödinger... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hobbes

I DIY'd something similar using a hole saw and some nice thick MDF.

PR19_Kit

That looks VERY good, as does all the stuff in their range.  :thumbsup:

AND they'll be at Cosford too! I foresee a certain sense of order returning to my model bench after many years.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit