Best/Favorite Paint Schemes

Started by Logan Hartke, April 05, 2018, 07:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan Hartke

Here's something I was thinking about recently. You're the new defense minister for a medium size nation (think France or similar). You get to pick what the predominate biome is in this fictitious country, though (temperate, desert, jungle, tundra, etc.).

Part of the mandate of your office, however, is to institute what your branches look like. I'm only going to give you four branches to work with:

• AIR FORCEIncluding but not limited to:
    fighters
    ground attack/strike aircraft
    AEW&C
    tankers
    airlift assets
    trainers
    CSAR helicopters
    UCAVs

• ARMYIncluding but not limited to:
    attack helicopters
    heavy lift helicopters
    observation and light attack aircraft
    light transport aircraft
    tactical transport helicopters
    scout helicopters
    liaison helicopters
    special forces helicopters

• NAVYIncluding but not limited to:
    ASW helicopters
    carrier-based aircraft
    maritime patrol aircraft
    maritime strike aircraft
    minesweeping helicopters
    marine corps aviation

• CIVIL GUARDIncluding but not limited to:
    coast guard patrol aircraft
    coast guard SAR helicopters
    homeland security AEW&C
    gendarmerie helicopters
    border patrol aircraft
    forestry service firebombers

The services don't get to distinguish between combat and non-combat aircraft. They don't get different schemes for rotary vs. fixed-wing assets. Even the size of the aircraft doesn't warrant it for a different paint scheme. There can be slight variety (scale of the pattern, for example), but you only get to pick one paint scheme for each service.

So, what 4 paint schemes would you choose to represent your entire military & paramilitary aviation inventory?

BONUS: Is there a paint scheme that you'd choose for the army to paint all its vehicles?

Cheers,

Logan

NARSES2

Well you mention France in your introduction and personally I think that for the Airforce and Army of a temperate climate nation the French pre/early WWII scheme of Brun Fonce, Gris Bleu Fonce, Khaki Francais and Gris Bleu Clair would work. (So roughly dark brown, medium grey, greenish khaki and light grey)

Navy - a medium grey overall, maybe medium grey hull, lighter grey superstructure.

Civil Guard - Overall gloss white with a nice bright red stripe.

Note that I haven't chosen the WWII French colours simply because you mentioned France. I just think they'd be fairly effective
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Considering I've already done this, to some extent, with Tsingtao.
Lozenge and Austro-Hungarian "relish" with subdued markings; Küstenwache- white with blue tips, band, and tail.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Logan Hartke

This is a thread that needs pictures.

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 06, 2018, 06:20:14 AM
Well you mention France in your introduction and personally I think that for the Airforce and Army of a temperate climate nation the French pre/early WWII scheme of Brun Fonce, Gris Bleu Fonce, Khaki Francais and Gris Bleu Clair would work. (So roughly dark brown, medium grey, greenish khaki and light grey)

Navy - a medium grey overall, maybe medium grey hull, lighter grey superstructure.

Civil Guard - Overall gloss white with a nice bright red stripe.

Note that I haven't chosen the WWII French colours simply because you mentioned France. I just think they'd be fairly effective

So you're saying something like this, NARSES2?

Army & Air Force:

Navy:

Civil Guard:

Cheers,

Logan

Logan Hartke

Quote from: scooter on April 06, 2018, 07:11:46 AM
Lozenge and Austro-Hungarian "relish" with subdued markings; Küstenwache- white with blue tips, band, and tail.

So...?

Army/Air Force:

Navy:

Civil Guard:

Cheers,

Logan

scooter

Quote from: Logan Hartke on April 06, 2018, 08:40:40 AM
Quote from: scooter on April 06, 2018, 07:11:46 AM

So...?

Army/Air Force:

Navy:

Civil Guard:

Cheers,

Logan

Exactly
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: Logan Hartke on April 06, 2018, 08:28:01 AM

So you're saying something like this, NARSES2?

Army & Air Force:

Navy:

Civil Guard:

Cheers,

Logan

I am indeed Logan, thank you  :thumbsup: The beauty of the French Air Force scheme was that it was applied without strict guidelines so there was quite a variation in pattern and colour usage between individual aircraft. So you could vary the pattern to some extent depending on how the aircraft was expected to be used. If that's allowed of course ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Downunder:

Air Force - for units operating in the Top End - a semi-arid scheme, predominately Ochre red, tan and black.  For units operating in the southern climes, a scheme predominately grey and green with black.  Both wrap around.

Army - predominately green with variations of ochre yellow and black.

Navy - light grey with splotches of darker grey, wrap around.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Logan Hartke

Hey, Rickshaw! Any pictures illustrating examples of those?

Cheers,

Logan

zenrat

I will call my imaginary country Trumptonistan.

Navy - Sea Grey

Air Force - Sky Grey

Army - Field Grey

Civil Guard - Urban Grey

National Guard - Wall Grey

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: Logan Hartke on April 07, 2018, 07:01:20 PM
Hey, Rickshaw! Any pictures illustrating examples of those?

Cheers,

Logan

Top End scheme - Mirage 4000 RAAF:

Caribou

Temperate scheme -

Army Scheme - Leopard AS1

Naval Aircraft Cam:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Spey_Phantom

my favorite paintscheme, that is due to dissapear with the retirement of the type in march next year,
is the sand/green camo with orange nose/tails as used on Belgium's Westland Seakings

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Air21

What about for Maritime Patrol?

P-3's alone come in a number of schemes, wrap around dark blue, two tone gray with white tops, overall gray both matte and gloss

P-8's come in super slick glossy gray all over

Nimrods had that weird green

Atlantiques come in blue and gray

Shackeltons came in blue and gray schemes...

Now fast forward to 2018, Maritime Patrol planes are being used for overland surveillance, what scheme do you use on what has essentially become a low to medium altitude persistent surveillance platform?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Air21 on June 29, 2018, 08:39:26 AM

Nimrods had that weird green

Green?

Not that I can recall. They started off in medium grey with white uppers, then went to hemp, a light sandy colour, and some had light grey undersides as well, and finished up all medium-light grey.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dadlamassu

My Country is Movalonga http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalonga/Morvalonga_Intro.htm

Armed Forces http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalonga/Morvalonga_Armed_Forces.htm

Hawker Hunter

Golden Assegai Display Team

Navy

Army Air Corps

Dornier Do-28 has been converted to a gunship. It has four 7.62mm machine guns under the nose, two hardpoints for rocket pods or light bombs, 2 chutes in the cabin for dropping flares or anti-personnel bomblets and in the door a turret mounting a 20mm cannon and co-axial .50" HMG.