Best/Favorite Paint Schemes

Started by Logan Hartke, April 05, 2018, 07:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AS.12

Quote from: Air21 on June 29, 2018, 08:39:26 AM
P-3's alone come in a number of schemes, wrap around dark blue, two tone gray with white tops, overall gray both matte and gloss

Oh!  Iranian maritime scheme!  :wub:

sandiego89

Quote from: AS.12 on June 29, 2018, 12:31:47 PM
P-3's alone come in a number of schemes, wrap around dark blue, two tone gray with white tops, overall gray both matte and gloss

Oh!  Iranian maritime scheme!  :wub:

Beat me to it, the Iranian maritime schemes are great looking, CH-53s were also done similar to their P-3s.  Cuba has some great blue schemes as well.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Quote from: dadlamassu on June 29, 2018, 12:03:19 PM
My Country is Movalonga http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalonga/Morvalonga_Intro.htm

Armed Forces http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalonga/Morvalonga_Armed_Forces.htm

You can make your pictures smaller by specifying the width (in pixels) in the IMG tags like this: [IMG WIDTH=800] [/IMG]

You can set HEIGHT the same way.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

I've always liked the idea of a scheme that combines camouflage that matches the colours of the background with a disruptive pattern that caused the observer to misread the aircraft's type, attitude or distance. For instance, against a desert/scrub background, the colours might be sand/stone/green, but one wing of a Mirage would have a strong line parallel to the trailing edge ('delta further away') and the other would have a strong line parallel to the trailing edge ('straight-wing type').

Unfortunately, this doesn't exactly work with Logans' brief since the design has to be fairly closely tailored to each aircraft type.

Another factor to consider is where you expect the opposition to be. One reason for the current trend towards all-over grey for Western aircraft is that, for the last 20-odd years, the opposition has almost always limited to ground forces, so aircraft are only seen against the background of the sky by hostiles.

It's also worth remembering that the sky is a light source, so anything seen against it from a distance has the effective colour 'shadow' whatever paint is applied to it's surface.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Two i've always liked are Peruvian Hinds...

...and Taiwanese Trackers
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on June 29, 2018, 09:48:10 PM
I've always liked the idea of a scheme that combines camouflage that matches the colours of the background with a disruptive pattern that caused the observer to misread the aircraft's type, attitude or distance. For instance, against a desert/scrub background, the colours might be sand/stone/green, but one wing of a Mirage would have a strong line parallel to the trailing edge ('delta further away') and the other would have a strong line parallel to the trailing edge ('straight-wing type').

Unfortunately, this doesn't exactly work with Logans' brief since the design has to be fairly closely tailored to each aircraft type.

This is the sort of thing I mean. Don't nail me to the exact colours, this is just to show how the combination of 'environmental' and 'disruptive' cammo would apply, in this case to a desert scheme:

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on June 29, 2018, 09:42:39 PM
Quote from: dadlamassu on June 29, 2018, 12:03:19 PM
My Country is Movalonga http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalonga/Morvalonga_Intro.htm

Armed Forces http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Morvalonga/Morvalonga_Armed_Forces.htm

Or the viewer can simply click on it with your cursor. Apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs

You can make your pictures smaller by specifying the width (in pixels) in the IMG tags like this: [IMG WIDTH=800] [/IMG]

You can set HEIGHT the same way.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 29, 2018, 09:51:12 AM

Nimrods had that weird green

Green?

Not that I can recall. They started off in medium grey with white uppers, then went to hemp, a light sandy colour, and some had light grey undersides as well, and finished up all medium-light grey.

Well the first Nimrod to get a re-paint to Hemp didn't turn out so well. This was sent to me by the person who had helped paint it   :o  When he took the photo, it had just been wheeled out of the paint shop.

Then there was this 'pink' one (not my photo)

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

AS.12

What's that you say, do a Nimrod in wraparound grey-geen?  Splendid idea!

NARSES2

A classic "well it said hemp on the tin" moment  :angel: :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Air21

I just stumbled upon this nifty South African Navy DC-3

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 01, 2018, 05:22:10 AM

Pretty much what the fellow told me happened, they used what the spec said, but it was the wrong spec ---

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 01, 2018, 11:01:45 AM

Pretty much what the fellow told me happened, they used what the spec said, but it was the wrong spec ---

Ooooooh, I'd have bought tickets to that blame fest  :angel:

wikxie

Anyone for a three tone, low vis RAAF C-47 Dak?

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 02, 2018, 02:36:23 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on July 01, 2018, 11:01:45 AM

Ooooooh, I'd have bought tickets to that blame fest  :angel:

Apparently, it didn't get re-painted to the correct spec until it's first major overhaul happened, according to my friend --