Hunting Percival Strikemaster FB.5

Started by TallEng, April 08, 2018, 11:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Looking good mate  :thumbsup:

Might need Sabrina's/Sams/Katie's or Jordan's  ;)

[/quote]

Depends on whether you use 20mm's, 30mm's or 40mm's  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Due to the rather splendid weather we've been having in Germany recently :mellow: not much has been done to the build, which is fine because I've been thinking....
The 20mm Aden cannon fitment would require strengthening/re-enforcing of the forward Fuselage structure which would add to the weight and the costs of the project. And would also possibly require a more powerful engine.
So no 20mm canon then. The original T.51 for Ceylon were fitted with .303 Machine guns under the intakes, however I do wonder about the effectivity of two .303 machine guns when strafing targets, especially through the jungle canopy if used for instance in Borneo. In the interests of commonalty with the rest of the RAF fleet of JP's perhaps just accepting the strengthened wing stressed for hard points would be an acceptable compromise? Allowing rotation of airframes to even out fatigue life, and the possibility of converting the training fleet in case of outbreak of war.
Possible options for arming the JP/Strikemaster would then be drop tanks for more loiter time over the target, 1000lb or 500lb Bombs or some form of early cluster bomb on the inboard pylons (did we have that sort of thing in the early '60s?) and a rack of rockets outboard, 60lb RP's as I believe the RAF didn't start with SNEB until the late '60s? The RP's also being a relatively simple weapon in keeping with the low cost idea of using the JP airframe. And presumably still plentiful in stock.
And speaking of Borneo a Jet Provost Trials unit (Far East) was formed in 1965 to trial Forward Air Control operations over the jungle terrain of Malaysia and Singapore.
Which leads on to the idea that perhaps the Army Air Corps could be the  operator of the JP/Strikemaster in a FAC/AOP/COIN role?
I have however fitted the two inboard pylons, and done some rubbing down :o and a search will be conducted for an Airfix Typhoon (that's a proper Typhoon, not one of those modern we can't think of an original name for it grey ones) from the stash for possible RP Robbery

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Weaver

Bear in mind that the way RP3 rockets were attached changed over time:

Early WWII fit: long launch rails as seen on Typhoons, Swordfish etc...

Late WWII fit: short launch rails

1950s onwards fit: no launch rails: the rockets just used a pair or brackets attached to the wing, and rockets could be stacked by hanging them from the one above on similar brackets.

One of the cheapest ways of getting post-war stacked RP3s is from the old Frog/Novo Sea Venom.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on April 18, 2018, 06:51:06 PM
Bear in mind that the way RP3 rockets were attached changed over time:

Early WWII fit: long launch rails as seen on Typhoons, Swordfish etc...

Late WWII fit: short launch rails

1950s onwards fit: no launch rails: the rockets just used a pair or brackets attached to the wing, and rockets could be stacked by hanging them from the one above on similar brackets.

One of the cheapest ways of getting post-war stacked RP3s is from the old Frog/Novo Sea Venom.

Zero-length launch mounts were introduced during WWII.

RN Avenger, Ontario, August 1945.

NARSES2

The Germans used a very early style of "cluster bomb" in WWII and the US used one slightly latter. They weren't called cluster bombs, at least I don't think they were ?, and came under the fragmentation bomb heading.

A simple cylindrical container that opens after release from the aircraft should fit the period. It could almost be opened by a long lanyard attached to the carrying pylon and the container ? The engineers amongst us will tell me how practical or impractical I'm being  ;)

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Thanks lads all good gen. And duly noted :thumbsup:
Whilst rummaging around on the net looking for British Bomb types, I found this report from the US Navy: http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/britishexplosiveordnance1946.pdf
Which is a 246 page report of British explosive ordnance, and covers everything from Bombs to RPs (including an air to air one meant for use from bombers against attacking fighters) and also includes grenades, land mines etc. in fact almost everything that could or would go bang. Interestingly for us modelers as well as a general description it also gives measurements, and details of the colours it was painted and what identifying markings were carried. Well worth a look IMHO

Regards
Keith
(Maybe worth putting in the weapons topic?)
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

jcf

The US M28 (100lb) and M29 (500lb) cluster bombs were a WWII weapon:
http://uxoinfo.com/blogcfc/client/enclosures/May_1944_Rpt_M83_Submunitions.pdf

Both contained the 4lb M83 fragmentation munition.

US sub-munition dispensers:
http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/asetds/u-s.html#_SUU

NARSES2

Quote from: TallEng on April 19, 2018, 09:15:58 AM
Thanks lads all good gen. And duly noted :thumbsup:
Whilst rummaging around on the net looking for British Bomb types, I found this report from the US Navy: http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/britishexplosiveordnance1946.pdf
Which is a 246 page report of British explosive ordnance, and covers everything from Bombs to RPs (including an air to air one meant for use from bombers against attacking fighters) and also includes grenades, land mines etc. in fact almost everything that could or would go bang. Interestingly for us modelers as well as a general description it also gives measurements, and details of the colours it was painted and what identifying markings were carried. Well worth a look IMHO

Regards
Keith
(Maybe worth putting in the weapons topic?)

Interesting find Keith. I will re-post the link, thank you

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 19, 2018, 12:31:31 PM
The US M28 (100lb) and M29 (500lb) cluster bombs were a WWII weapon:
http://uxoinfo.com/blogcfc/client/enclosures/May_1944_Rpt_M83_Submunitions.pdf

Both contained the 4lb M83 fragmentation munition.

Yup Jon. Apologies I should have said slightly latter in WWII to be clearer.