2018/2019 GB Season call for suggestions

Started by NARSES2, April 11, 2018, 01:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowtrooper

The Ugly GB. Interwar French bombers or platypus-nosed AEW/ELINT aircraft have nothing on the hideousness of Fiat Multipla.

Anachronistic GB. WW2 plane in modern camo, modern plane in WW1 khaki, Tesla Roadster with spoke wheels and wood gasifier (so basically, Swap Shop with only one entry instead of a pair and anachronisms being the nature of the swap).

"Forum Special". Spats, fabric wings, extended wings, extended nose, contra-props, mixed-power, zwilling, twin-boom, asymmetric. Must include x amount of these features, and at least y amount of these features must not exist on the kit when built OOB.
Quote from: Weaver on April 11, 2018, 05:35:05 AM
It isn't obvious what the Assembly Plane GB is: could you explain that one please?

The problem with a Bad Taste GB is that, particularly in the current social climate, it's very hard to define the difference between 'bad taste' that everyone recognizes as a joke and 'bad taste' that people get genuinely offended by and make complaints. It's also important to remember that pics on the internet can escape from their original context and get accidentally or deliberately misconstrued. Personally I like the idea, but I wouldn't want to stir up a sh*tstorm for the site owner and moderators, since the knee-jerk reaction to offense these days seems to be to try to get things banned/censored/blocked rather than just arguing against them.
Assembly Plane probably means Assembly Ships (despite the name they were airplanes) of WW2 fame: high-hour airframes stripped of all weapons and most military equipment, painted with garish colours in often psychedelic patterns. This was to ease the identification so that bombers from a relevant wing/group/squadron could easily find the correct "ship" and then assemble around one in proper formation. One could extend the theme: assembly ship for an air race? Literal assembly ship for a boat race? What about pace cars in car racing, aren't they in fact the same thing under a different name?

---

Re Bad Taste GB, perhaps block the subforum so that only registered board members can see the contest? At least that way the pics don't spread "accidentally". But then again, coolminiornot has continuously so much #triggering content without the site ever being in danger of being shut down that I guess the social media won't implode over a photo of a tasteless model kit and there won't be consequences. Now, if it was a YouTube video of a pug that was taught the Hitler salute instead... :rolleyes:

zenrat

...You could combine It'll never work/Silly GB and Make it Worse GB into a Really Bad Ideas GB, as per the threads I've started on here.
I thought of that, but Silliness and never working can (and often do) result from an attempt to make something better.

It isn't obvious what the Assembly Plane GB is: could you explain that one please?
Quote from: Snowtrooper on April 11, 2018, 03:40:57 PM
...Assembly Plane probably means Assembly Ships (despite the name they were airplanes) of WW2 fame: high-hour airframes stripped of all weapons and most military equipment, painted with garish colours in often psychedelic patterns. This was to ease the identification so that bombers from a relevant wing/group/squadron could easily find the correct "ship" and then assemble around one in proper formation. One could extend the theme: assembly ship for an air race? Literal assembly ship for a boat race? What about pace cars in car racing, aren't they in fact the same thing under a different name?...

Yes.  What Snowtrooper said.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on April 12, 2018, 03:22:53 AM
...You could combine It'll never work/Silly GB and Make it Worse GB into a Really Bad Ideas GB, as per the threads I've started on here.
I thought of that, but Silliness and never working can (and often do) result from an attempt to make something better.

True, but then making something worse almost always results from an attempt to make something better too. People very rarely set out to deliberately make something worse...

Quote from: Snowtrooper on April 11, 2018, 03:40:57 PM
...Assembly Plane probably means Assembly Ships (despite the name they were airplanes) of WW2 fame: high-hour airframes stripped of all weapons and most military equipment, painted with garish colours in often psychedelic patterns. This was to ease the identification so that bombers from a relevant wing/group/squadron could easily find the correct "ship" and then assemble around one in proper formation. One could extend the theme: assembly ship for an air race? Literal assembly ship for a boat race? What about pace cars in car racing, aren't they in fact the same thing under a different name?...

Yes.  What Snowtrooper said.

Ah right, with you now - Thanks Snowtrooper!  :thumbsup:

I suppose you could even have an assembly tank for organising before a big attack, particularly in the context of a peacetime exercise, although I suspect they'd be more likely to fly a garish flag than paint the tank. You could see it though: Crusaders got used for a variety of jobs once they were superseded as gun tanks because they were fast. You might imagine a few of them painted up in bright colours rushing around to get things organised. They might be the umpire's tanks: protected enough to save them from a stray shot and brightly painted to try to avoid that shot in the first place.

Now an assembly submarine would be the really radical move.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on April 12, 2018, 04:09:29 AM

Now an assembly submarine would be the really radical move.... :wacko:

As they couldn't see underwater, but they could hear things, perhaps the assembly 'ship' (see what I did there?  ;D) could broadcast all sorts of loud sounds, or tunes perhaps.

'We all live in a yellow submarine' could be a good starter, but of course you'd have to build the model with a sound chip and speaker and provide a link to a suitable YouTube track.

What could possibly go wrong? It'd be a winner for sure.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on April 11, 2018, 01:09:21 PM
I'd like to see another "Civilianize/Militarise" GB. I wasn't around for the first one.

I think is covered by Swords into Ploughshares and vice versa ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Right they've all been scribbled down, thank you  :thumbsup:

You've got a couple of weeks and I will give you a few days notice before I close the thread.

I haven't done any editing yet, I'll leave that until I sort the Poll out. I may well combine similar ideas and there are a couple of suggestions I really need to think about.

One of the problems I have is that GB's are meant to be inclusive and gain the support and participation of as many members as possible. Now some of these ideas, in my opinion, won't do that. It doesn't mean they won't be included in the Poll but I'm just mentioning it now.

I was thinking of running a preliminary Poll in order to whittle down some of these "left of centre" ideas prior to the main Poll. In that way the final vote won't be as watered down. Now there is time to do this as the first GB of the season , after the One Week GB, will be the RAF Centenary GB, but it's yet again more work and I really need to think about it. The argument of course is what are the "left of centre" ones ? If I do go down this route you'll just have to go with what I think are the ones least likely to accept votes.

Chris

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

we could go with an RAF100 GB, i would be in for a demilitarise GB or Airliner GB  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

McColm

Missile planes
Either cruise or ICBMs turned into aircraft

Heliplanes
This excludes the Airfix and Revell Rotodyne kits but uses the same layout.

Car planes
Aircraft converted into road vehicles

Steampunk
Coal or wood powered aircraft and vehicles,

Submarine aircraft carrier
Must be able to house one or more aircraft internally.

Snowtrooper

Since we already have a thread for it - Movie Substitutes!

Mothership - carrier aircraft and their parasites, Mistels, orbital launch vehicles SpaceShipTwo style, amphibious assault ship carrying hovercrafts, motorhome that stores a small car/scooter inside, etc.

Ed S

How about a "worn out, used up, or forgotten" build. Anything has has been damaged, left sitting too long, or derelicts.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 12, 2018, 06:30:35 AM
Right they've all been scribbled down, thank you  :thumbsup:

You've got a couple of weeks and I will give you a few days notice before I close the thread.

I haven't done any editing yet, I'll leave that until I sort the Poll out. I may well combine similar ideas and there are a couple of suggestions I really need to think about.

One of the problems I have is that GB's are meant to be inclusive and gain the support and participation of as many members as possible. Now some of these ideas, in my opinion, won't do that. It doesn't mean they won't be included in the Poll but I'm just mentioning it now.

I was thinking of running a preliminary Poll in order to whittle down some of these "left of centre" ideas prior to the main Poll. In that way the final vote won't be as watered down. Now there is time to do this as the first GB of the season , after the One Week GB, will be the RAF Centenary GB, but it's yet again more work and I really need to think about it. The argument of course is what are the "left of centre" ones ? If I do go down this route you'll just have to go with what I think are the ones least likely to accept votes.

Chris

Why not just run it in two rounds? First round has every suggestion included, then the top ten (or whatever) winners from that go on to the second round. That should whittle out the 'minority interest' ones nicely, and you don't have to make any arbitrary decisions.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Mossie on April 11, 2018, 12:54:40 PM
Great War GB, covering the 100th Anniversary of the armistice.

This one interests me.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rheged

Quote from: rickshaw on April 12, 2018, 10:59:25 PM
Quote from: Mossie on April 11, 2018, 12:54:40 PM
Great War GB, covering the 100th Anniversary of the armistice.

This one interests me.   :thumbsup:

Me too.  It would have to end at precisely 11:00 am GMT on 11th November  2018, with NO extensions permitted.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

Advertising vehicles
Over the years many vehicles have been converted into advertising vehicles or bill-boards. Anything from promoting beer to cheese, films, TV programmes or motorized pieces of furniture.

Lunar Rover
If the British had landed on the moon first what vehicle or vehicles would they have driven?

The greatest car in the world
There are several cars that could qualify for the title of the 'Greatest Car in the World' with the odd exception of one or two that are not cars but vans. Plus concept cars that didn't make it to production but influenced the production vehicle.
The Mini, VW Beetle, LandRover, RangeRover, Criterion DS, Renault 4, Ford Mustang to name but a few.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nils on April 12, 2018, 09:01:15 AM
we could go with an RAF100 GB, i would be in for a demilitarise GB or Airliner GB  :thumbsup:

Nils we will be having an RAF 100 GB which will run from 1/7/18 to 30/9/18. This is why the Poll will only select 2 subjects.

Just so it's clear I'll post the schedule here as well.

One Week Build - 9th to 17th June

RAF Centenary GB - 1st July to 30th September

2nd GB of the season - 1st November to 31st January 2019

3rd GB of the season - 1st March 2019 to 31st May 2019.