2018/2019 GB Season call for suggestions

Started by NARSES2, April 11, 2018, 01:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right as the title says I'm calling for suggestions for subjects for the 2018/2019 Group Build season

Slightly unusually the poll to be held in May will only select 2 GB's as we will be having an RAF 100th anniversary GB which will run from 1/7 to 30/9.

Also as mandated by you the members, this years subject matter are rested from the poll, and from next years as well. Please don't try and work around this by subtle, or not so subtle, use of language. I will be watching  :angel: So Cold War, Flying Boat etc and Sci Fi are ineligible.

Also as mandated, last years suggestions that did not win through are not automatically included in this years poll, so we start with a clean sheet.

Can you also please try not to be too esoteric with suggestions for subject matter. The broader, within reason, they are the more likely they are to get through. Also try and avoid the "scatter gun" approach and just fire random thoughts at me as they come to you. Think about it a little bit, please.

Finally once we have decided on subject matter I will be launching my annual appeal for moderators so if you could think about it. It's not an onerous task and I think those who have moderated for the first time this year would agree with that. Indeed it can be quite enjoyable.

So over to you ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Are "swords into ploughshares"   and/or "ploughshares into swords"  appropriate, or are they too much of a blunderbuss approach?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 11, 2018, 01:09:47 AM
How about an 'Airliner' GB?

Nice. I'd even enlarge it to "Public transport", for a wider range of vehicles or concepts?

Personally, I'd thow in a "Racing" theme - and I still feel that "Africa" has some exotic potential.

zenrat

I like Kit's Airliners idea.

Here's the list i've been adding to since last years vote.  I've combined similar ideas.
V/STOL/Rotary Wing/Ornithopter GB
It'll never work/Silly GB
Long Wing GB
Pirate GB
Spats GB
Make it worse GB
Multiplace de Combat GB (not just aircraft - I can envisage multi-turreted tanks and gunboats amongst other things)
Swapshop GB (build two models, swap the OOB schemes, weapons, engines and anything else that takes your fancy)
Epic GB (big models only - maybe apply a minimum weight limit?)
Kitbash GB (no paint only whiffs - parts from a minimum of two kits - could result in arguments)
Civil War GB (any civil war, real or imaginary - these tend to result in improvised equipment and so are prima whiffing turf)
Bad taste GB (if no one objects to it - it's out.  My plans for a Mosque Tank should result in jihad ;D)
Carry on Doctor GB (Ambulance, medivac, flying doctor, MASH)
Assembly plane GB
Mobile Suit GB (Gundam, Macross, Jaeger etc)
Cartoon/Anime GB

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Space Freighters
Space Liners
Space Fighters
Space Racers
Space Cruisers (or any other "capital warships")

Asia/Pacific
Arctic/Antarctic

Explorers
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Lord_Voyager

Oh gosh... I've never taken part in one of the group builds.

But my mind crossed to the idea of PUBLIC TRANSPORT RACING...

I like the idea of anything not of this earth...

Weaver

James Bond GB

Build something from a James Bond movie. It could be an improvement or alternative to something from a real James Bond movie, or it could be from a what-if James Bond movie that you make up yourself. I like this one because on the one hand it has a specific focus and theme, but on the other hand it covers a very wide scope of possible subjects. You can have all the usual aircraft, spacecraft, cars, AFVs, ships and submarines etc, but you can also have dioramas, architecture, figures, and even 1/1 scale gadgets. It doesn't matter if your interest is civil or military, or if you do physical models, profiles or stories, you can find something here. James Bond is also such a well known property and has such a well established formula that there can't be many people in the world who don't get it or don't understand what's appropriate.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on April 11, 2018, 02:51:54 AM
I like Kit's Airliners idea.

Here's the list i've been adding to since last years vote.  I've combined similar ideas.
V/STOL/Rotary Wing/Ornithopter GB
It'll never work/Silly GB
Long Wing GB
Pirate GB
Spats GB
Make it worse GB
Multiplace de Combat GB (not just aircraft - I can envisage multi-turreted tanks and gunboats amongst other things)
Swapshop GB (build two models, swap the OOB schemes, weapons, engines and anything else that takes your fancy)
Epic GB (big models only - maybe apply a minimum weight limit?)
Kitbash GB (no paint only whiffs - parts from a minimum of two kits - could result in arguments)
Civil War GB (any civil war, real or imaginary - these tend to result in improvised equipment and so are prima whiffing turf)
Bad taste GB (if no one objects to it - it's out.  My plans for a Mosque Tank should result in jihad ;D)
Carry on Doctor GB (Ambulance, medivac, flying doctor, MASH)
Assembly plane GB
Mobile Suit GB (Gundam, Macross, Jaeger etc)
Cartoon/Anime GB

Random thoughts:

You could combine It'll never work/Silly GB and Make it Worse GB into a Really Bad Ideas GB, as per the threads I've started on here.

I'm pretty sure that V/STOL/Rotary Wing/Ornithopter GB, Pirate GB and Spats GB have been done before (the Pirate one might have been on BTS come to think of it), although they may have been long enough ago that it's worth revisiting them.

It isn't obvious what the Assembly Plane GB is: could you explain that one please?

The problem with a Bad Taste GB is that, particularly in the current social climate, it's very hard to define the difference between 'bad taste' that everyone recognizes as a joke and 'bad taste' that people get genuinely offended by and make complaints. It's also important to remember that pics on the internet can escape from their original context and get accidentally or deliberately misconstrued. Personally I like the idea, but I wouldn't want to stir up a sh*tstorm for the site owner and moderators, since the knee-jerk reaction to offense these days seems to be to try to get things banned/censored/blocked rather than just arguing against them.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: Lord_Voyager on April 11, 2018, 05:03:21 AM

But my mind crossed to the idea of PUBLIC TRANSPORT RACING...

Not sure if I should thank you or not for putting into my brain an immage of a London Duoble Decker Hot Rod/Strip racer  :-\ :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Mossie

Great War GB, covering the 100th Anniversary of the armistice.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TheChronicOne

I'd like to see another "Civilianize/Militarise" GB. I wasn't around for the first one.

Otherwise, "NON-Currently-Existing Nations"  -- Build things for Nations that no longer exist like Roman Empire or the Mayans (I did one of these!  ;D) or make up a Fictional Nation (I know some of you around here have this in spades ).

-Sprues McDuck-

tigercat

The Maskirova GB or the military deception GB

The Whacky Races / Stop the Pigeon GB

McColm

1)  Racing tanks
Tracks or wheeled tanks with all weapons decommissioned.

2) Ekranoplans (ground effect vehicles)
Kitbashing at its finest hour

3) Amphicabs
Cars, buses and light trucks that can be driven on roads and in water, carrying paying passengers . Excluding military vehicles, 4x4  and boat trailers.

4) High Speed Rail Transport
Steam, electric, solar, water ,jet and nuclear powered locomotives are allowed. Including Mag Lev and hover trains  , diesel, petrol, Aero trains.

5) Aerial water bombers
Including helicopters , tilt wing or fixed wing designs

6) Mach 2 model kits
Set time period of a year to build a kit of your choice straight from the box , the engines and undercarriage can be updated or replaced in keeping with prototypes of alternative variants.

7) Matchbox kits
No painting of any parts. Built straight from the box as per instructions.

8)  pre- built or already started builds
As part of the kitbashing season all comers are welcome. Already started or pre-builds of two or more kits merged together into one build.
The theme is bombers on aircraft carriers.