2018/2019 GB Season call for suggestions

Started by NARSES2, April 11, 2018, 01:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on April 12, 2018, 06:39:41 PM

Why not just run it in two rounds? First round has every suggestion included, then the top ten (or whatever) winners from that go on to the second round. That should whittle out the 'minority interest' ones nicely, and you don't have to make any arbitrary decisions.

No reason why not.

However to illustrate my "problem" we are already up to 48 suggestions, a fair majority of which, in my opinion, will garner no support whatsoever.

Now if I sound a little jaded, in all honesty I am. I really am not feeling that enthusiastic about it at the moment. My own health problems, nothing that serious, but they are affecting my modeling, and some that are affecting a very good friend of mine are starting to tell a bit. Getting the GB season organised is a fair bit of work for me and I need to be in the mood. Now on the up-side we have plenty of time to come to a decision and by that point I'll have shaken this current "funk" off. In all honesty a change in the weather and a bit of sun might help and I'm being serious.

Sorry to sound down, but that's how I feel at the moment. As said however it won't last.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Large quantities of sympathy Chris!  Most of us have been there and understand.  Personally, I'm delighted that you do as much as you do!  I'm merely one of the lazy blighters who enjoys the results of your hard work. Whatever you do, whenever you do it is OK by me!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

AeroplaneDriver

Post Apocalypse GB?  Make up your own scenario...zombies...plague...asteroid...aliens...WW3.  Then build a vehicle for the end of days.  Mad Max style cars, zombie killer vehicles, etc. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sandiego89

Two nominations:

1) "Means of Propulsion". Entries must have a significant change in means of propulsion: sail to steam, steam to diesel, prop to jet, jet to prop, steam to nuclear, jet to rocket, horse to horseless...smaller changes like bigger engines, blowers, radial to inline, turbos not allowed.

2) "Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3". Entry must be a WHIF of an existing object specifically to test a proposed concept or design.  New systems, weapons, shapes, power trains, etc. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 13, 2018, 02:28:40 PM
Two nominations:

1) "Means of Propulsion". Entries must have a significant change in means of propulsion: sail to steam, steam to diesel, prop to jet, jet to prop, steam to nuclear, jet to rocket, horse to horseless...smaller changes like bigger engines, blowers, radial to inline, turbos not allowed.

Jet to horse would be 'interesting'..... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 13, 2018, 06:23:50 AM

Why not just run it in two rounds? First round has every suggestion included, then the top ten (or whatever) winners from that go on to the second round. That should whittle out the 'minority interest' ones nicely, and you don't have to make any arbitrary decisions.

No reason why not.

However to illustrate my "problem" we are already up to 48 suggestions, a fair majority of which, in my opinion, will garner no support whatsoever.

Now if I sound a little jaded, in all honesty I am. I really am not feeling that enthusiastic about it at the moment. My own health problems, nothing that serious, but they are affecting my modeling, and some that are affecting a very good friend of mine are starting to tell a bit. Getting the GB season organised is a fair bit of work for me and I need to be in the mood. Now on the up-side we have plenty of time to come to a decision and by that point I'll have shaken this current "funk" off. In all honesty a change in the weather and a bit of sun might help and I'm being serious.

Sorry to sound down, but that's how I feel at the moment. As said however it won't last.

Chris

That's okay Chris, everybody has 'down' phases, especially me, so I do get it. My mood depends hugely on the weather too, so I get that as well.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 13, 2018, 07:44:45 AM
Post Apocalypse GB?  Make up your own scenario...zombies...plague...asteroid...aliens...WW3.  Then build a vehicle for the end of days.  Mad Max style cars, zombie killer vehicles, etc.

I like that one! Might kick me off on one of my two HUGE Post Apocalyptic diorama ideas. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on April 13, 2018, 03:01:01 PM
Quote from: sandiego89 on April 13, 2018, 02:28:40 PM
Two nominations:

Jet to horse would be 'interesting'..... :wacko:

Eric is way ahead of us on this one...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sandiego89

Chris, again appreciate your work on this.  Perhaps in future years folks get limited to 3 nominations, and perhaps certain suggestions are politely ignored or run through several mods- every year we seem to have a poster or two that suggest all sorts of esoteric themes, but does not really participate in the builds. Agree some will never get even one vote, not even by the nominator, and some would get few participants.  Few really wans 45 choices that include stuff like "1960's street sweepers" or "RAF do(ugh)nut Truck".   

May your health and mojo be on the mend! Your efforts are truly appreciated. -Dave     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Old Wombat

I'll admit these are a bit "throw-away" but they were to put some more focused sci-fi themes out there, rather than the generic "Sci-Fi":

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 11, 2018, 03:08:46 AM
Space Freighters
Space Liners
Space Fighters
Space Racers
Space Cruisers (or any other "capital warships")

These were more serious:

Asia/Pacific
Arctic/Antarctic

Explorers
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

These were more serious:

Asia/Pacific
Arctic/Antarctic

Explorers
[/quote]

I like the sound of Arctic/Antarctic
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

I keep a list during the year and then spew it all out when Chris asks for suggestions.
I'll be the first one to agree that a lot of them are slightly off the wall.
I do feel that anyone should be be able to suggest anything at all but am also quite happy for Chris to decide which ones to ignore.  Although it does create more work for him.

I'd be in on a '60s street sweeper GB. :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tigercat

for example for

military deception you could disguise MK IV tank as a Churchill tank or a FW190 as a Thunderbolt

or a Panther tank as a tank destroyer .

or hide a missile launcher on a coach

or build Q Ship , Q car , Q van  etc.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 13, 2018, 06:23:50 AM

No reason why not.

Chris

Do it like The Airfix Tribute Forum does it, have a quick poll with all the suggestions, then take the top ten and then have another poll. It whittles out all the 'chaff' so to speak because they have the same problem with lots of suggestions and then no one votes for them.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Thanks for your wishes lads.

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 16, 2018, 03:22:04 PM
and perhaps certain suggestions are politely ignored

I must admit that I do tend to "politely ignore" a couple of suggestions every year. Mainly because I think they are not in the spirit of the Forum and would be likely to cause offence somewhere. I have to remember we are a world wide group. Other than that the only changes I make are to combine similar suggestions or to broaden the scope of a very narrow one. At the end of the day I want the winning suggestions to have as broad an appeal as possible which will then get the largest participation.

We did once experiment with running a single GB per year and having that run for the year. I was the only participant (I think) ! Lets just say that experiment hasn't been repeated. I think we are at the right level in terms of numbers, 3 GB's plus the One Week GB, and currently we also avoid overlaps, which again I think is the right way to do it.

Anyway the Poll will probably run in early May ; first couple of weeks.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.