2018/2019 GB Season call for suggestions

Started by NARSES2, April 11, 2018, 01:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right I'll throw one into the mix for a change.

The inspired by the box art GB. As it says take the box art for a kit you have or have seen somewhere else and do your own take on it, keeping as close to the original concept as possible.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

I don't think you can really criticize people for not voting for their own oddball idea. Just because I came up with an idea, doesn't mean it's the best idea in the world and I have to support it religiously: if somebody else has come up with something that I honestly think is better, then surely the decent thing to do is vote for the best one.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on April 18, 2018, 05:56:09 AM
I don't think you can really criticize people for not voting for their own oddball idea.

I haven't. It's just frustrating from my point of view knowing that I will have to spend a lot of time getting some of these suggestions into a format whereby they are understandable and as clear as possible (that isn't easy sometimes) knowing full well that most of them will not win any votes. Still that's democracy and it beats any other system in my view  :thumbsup:

I'll probably start 2 new threads when I come around to organising the Poll. One for the Poll it'self (hopefully the system can deal with this number of suggestions) and one to explain what the proposed GB encompasses.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

would be nice to see a Euro'41 GB, what if the German Blitz was halted and extended with a year, we could see French, Danish, Belgian, Dutch,....forces equiped with more modern equipement.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

loupgarou

Quote from: Nils on April 18, 2018, 08:53:53 AM
would be nice to see a Euro'41 GB, what if the German Blitz was halted and extended with a year, we could see French, Danish, Belgian, Dutch,....forces equiped with more modern equipement.

Interesting suggestion. Many planes and tanks were in prototype form or early production in spring 1940. Things would have changed. But when I think of this, I am always afraid that Germany would anyway have been faster in development and production than, say, France.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Old Wombat

If the Blitzkrieg had been stopped then it would have been a repeat of WW1 on a much more devastating scale.

If the Blitzkrieg had merely been delayed by a year, the Germans would have used less PzKpfw I's & II's, & more PzKpfw III's & IV's & PzKpfw 38(t)'s.

However, in reality, it was the tactics used that made the Blitzkrieg so effective, not the tanks themselves. If it had just been about the tanks, the French & British would have mauled the Germans in 1940.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sandiego89

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 17, 2018, 06:08:25 AM
.....I think we are at the right level in terms of numbers, 3 GB's plus the One Week GB, and currently we also avoid overlaps, which again I think is the right way to do it....

Absolutely!  I think the amount (3+1) and spacing is perfect. :thumbsup:

And Weaver, sorry I don't mean to come across as disparaging nominations, or if folks don't vote for something they nominated I too understand (I have done exactly that when something better gets nominated)- I just think we have had a poster or two that comes up with some non-starters for the sake of being part of the conversation....   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

zenrat

Thanks for your wishes lads.

Quote from: sandiego89 on April 16, 2018, 03:22:04 PM
and perhaps certain suggestions are politely ignored

I must admit that I do tend to "politely ignore" a couple of suggestions every year. Mainly because I think they are not in the spirit of the Forum and would be likely to cause offence somewhere. I have to remember we are a world wide group...

I must admit that I do tend to feel that if I haven't had at least one of my suggestions politely ignored then I am not doing my job properly.

:wacko:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 19, 2018, 04:51:30 AM

I must admit that I do tend to "politely ignore" a couple of suggestions every year. Mainly because I think they are not in the spirit of the Forum and would be likely to cause offence somewhere. I have to remember we are a world wide group...

I must admit that I do tend to feel that if I haven't had at least one of my suggestions politely ignored then I am not doing my job properly.

That's the spirit  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Nils on April 18, 2018, 08:53:53 AM

I use a very similar scenario for a lot of my WWII builds. Basically the counter attack at Arras succeeds in cutting the German spearheads off and leads to the German High Command being more cautious. Eventually they do break the defensive line of the Somme but the Allies stage an organised withdrawal and the French maintain the fight from their colonies. It's a fair bit more complicated then that but gives me a scenario around which I can build the type of aircraft I like.

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on April 19, 2018, 04:51:30 AM

I hereby volunteer to ignore you more if it'll make you happier.....

Weaver
Here to Help
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Right I'll leave this thread open until Monday/Tuesday next week, then I'll lock it and start sorting the Poll out

tigercat

REMF or the guys in the rear with the gear, or support functions  .

so engineers , REME , logistics  , cooks , ENSA, dispatch riders , station hacks , ordnance corps , tankers , Royal Fleet Auxikary , photographic interpretation , RAF signals, ack emmas, ground crew , intelligence , bomb disposal , AA gunners and flak towers, RAF regiment and the Home Guard .

loupgarou

Quote from: tigercat on April 20, 2018, 07:56:44 AM
REMF or the guys in the rear with the gear, or support functions  .

so engineers , REME , logistics  , cooks , ENSA, dispatch riders , station hacks , ordnance corps , tankers , Royal Fleet Auxikary , photographic interpretation , RAF signals, ack emmas, ground crew , intelligence , bomb disposal , AA gunners and flak towers, RAF regiment and the Home Guard .

Well , I have no idea if this will have appeal or not, but I think it's a very interesting proposal. Lots of possible, and even weird, vehicles, personnel etc.  :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

sandiego89

One more from me:

"Out of retirement".  Bring back into service an item that has been out of service for some time.  Items should be fully retired, ie not in reserve units, target tugs etc., but fully retired.  Hauled from the boneyard, museums, barn, etc.  Bringing military ships, aircraft or vehicles that were passed into civilian hands, but then recalled for "active duty" acceptable.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA