Bizjets, Executive aircraft and related

Started by jcf, April 17, 2018, 08:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Brit concepts.

Blackburn

Originally a concept for a VTOL military liaison aircraft, considered for exec role, centre fan lift.

Two SR.177 based concepts.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 18, 2018, 06:12:58 AM
The Beagle's a neat looker  :thumbsup:
Indeed :thumbsup: the tail is very Alfa jet like and the wings most Mustangish,
Just need an idea for the forward fuselage.
(Not checked anything for size, just going on what looks like)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Weaver

Nice one Jon - good call. :thumbsup:

Looking at alternative/early bizjet concepts, I always wonder whether the 'normal' layout we have nowadays, with two podded engines at the rear and a high tail, is really the best, or is it just the convention that everybody's used to? Burying the engines in the rear fuselage would almost certainly reduce drag, just as it does on a fighter jet, but would the increased speed and/or decreased fuel consumption be worth the extra maintenance headaches? How bad would those be anyway, with proper detailed design?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

The main issue with buried engines is replacing them with newer,
improved, more efficient engines as engine technology improves.
It's a hell of a lot more expensive than developing a new nacelle
design.

The very minor difference in drag isn't worth it for aircraft that don't
spend long periods of time in the speed ranges where it makes a
difference, as with fighters etc., which is the reason that strut mounted,
podded engines, became the standard configuration for commercial
aircraft, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. 

jcf

Quote from: TallEng on April 18, 2018, 07:44:46 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 18, 2018, 06:12:58 AM
The Beagle's a neat looker  :thumbsup:
Indeed :thumbsup: the tail is very Alfa jet like and the wings most Mustangish,
Just need an idea for the forward fuselage.
(Not checked anything for size, just going on what looks like)

Regards
Keith

Length: 38' 6"
Wingspan: 40'
Height: 13'

Based on the data it seems that P-51D wings would be a perfect basis.
Good catch.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Looking at the drawings I can't help wondering what they were smoking or drinking on the Isle of Wight back then.  :o

There's not a single Saunders Roe design that was in any way conventional, and it seems that went for the civvie designs as well as the military ones!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

More SARO, two of the different configurations studied during the P195 & P202 design
process.

Four engines buried in the rear fuselage, tiltable for short takeoff.

Indeed you are correct Kit, From Sea to Air by Tagg & Wheeler has 18 pages
of post-war concept drawings, with two to eight drawings per page.
:thumbsup:

zenrat

Apart from everything else, doesn't putting the engines in external pods make things a bit quieter inside the plane?
Also less vibration.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Seems an appropriate place to leave this screenshot from Twitter... :wacko:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

AS.12

Bottom of this page from the Flight archives, model of Lockheed trijet concept for a successor to the JetStar. Same configuration as the TriStar with underwing engines and S-duct in the tail but on a stretched JetStar fuselage.

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1969/1969%20-%202951.PDF

Some details in text to right.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Mossie

Handley Page HP.113.  One of my favourite early bizjet designs, tidy looking.  I believe it eventually morphed into the Jetstream.

Earlier boundary flow research aircraft with Canberra style goldfish bowl canopy.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

I like the fact the passengers are getting out of a Roller  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.