Model kits & paints going cheap at Boyes stores

Started by Weaver, April 19, 2018, 07:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

According to someone on Twitter, a chain of shops called 'Boyes' are selling Hobbyboss kits for a fiver and have a load of model paint in too.

Now I've never even heard of this chain until now, so I can't say where they're located, but they have the usual store locator function on their website here: http://www.boyes.co.uk/storelocator/ Unfortunately, the site doesn't give any details of the kits.

Nearest one to me is Royton. I may have a look at the weekend.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

The nearest one to me is in Coalville apparently.

I bit far to 'pop in' methinks.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

There's one in Kendal. I'm off to check on elderly parents in Carlisle in a couple of weeks time, I may possibly be able to investigate.......assuming that they still have stuff.  There's one in Blaydon that our Northumbrian colleague might wish to visit.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

Nearest to me is Blaydon - incidentally, right next door to Home Bargains.  May have a spin across tomorrow if I get out of work early, possibly sunday.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

They seem to be of Yorkshire origin, but are conquering the world one postcode at a time. Most stores are east of the Pennines between Newcastle and Peterborough, with scattered interlopers/scouts on the Western side....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Even if the trip is fruitless - I'd only be after Spitfires anyway and the Hobbyboss one needs a bit of work (although it's still a better Vb than the Tamiya kit!) - I can console myself with Golden Wonder Bacon crisps from Home Bargains.  They are the only place on the high street that stocks them.  Curse Walkers and the market dominance of Pepsico! A Pox be on them!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

AS.12

When I was young I was flabbergasted to find VEB airliner kits at the back of a Belfast department store called Wyse Byse.

I still have no idea how they came to stock them but it was amazing for a young modeller; Trident, Mi-6, Il-62, Tu-95!  They were crude and probably inaccurate but I didn't care.  All the way from East Germany to my doorstep.

zenrat

Quote from: AS.12 on April 21, 2018, 01:48:46 AM
When I was young I was flabbergasted to find VEB airliner kits at the back of a Belfast department store called Wyse Byse.

I still have no idea how they came to stock them but it was amazing for a young modeller; Trident, Mi-6, Il-62, Tu-95!  They were crude and probably inaccurate but I didn't care.  All the way from East Germany to my doorstep.

Probably privately imported through the back door to earn a bit of hard currency for the crew of an East German freighter.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Just got back from the store at Royton.

Bad news: no Hobby Boss kits. I don't know why: maybe they sold out, maybe they're not in yet, maybe the store managers have discretion in what they order, or maybe it's only bigger stores (this one was quite small).

Good news: they have a surprisingly good model supplies and tools section, which is a permanent feature of the store, not a when-it's-gone-it's-gone thing. Humbrol paints (full range of tinlets, up to date display inc. the 'new' RLM colours), Vallejo paints both individually and in sets, spray cans, airbrush cleaner and propellant, poly cement, brushes, CA, and a good range of tools. You get the impression that their buyers know what they're doing re model-making.

So, if you havn't got a model shop or a Hobbycraft near you, there's an alternative source for those Sunday afternoon 'crap I've run out of thinners' moments...

I bought a head light/magnifier that was £7, which is way cheaper than I've seen them elsewhere, some files, a hacksaw, some paints and some varnish.

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

I feel they're probably selling off stock.  The two big stores locally have had kits for a while, but haven't added to it recently, the same few kits being around for at least a year.  They're a good source of Vallejo paints, I pop in fairly regularly to top up my supply, so I hope they're not getting rid.

Hull's very well served with Boyes, they've been around several generations, I remember being dragged around by my Mum and she remembers being dragged around by my Grandma.  I think they've expanded out of their traditional range recently due to the popularity of low cost stores. 
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Been around since 1881 according to their history page: http://www.boyes.co.uk/boyes-history/

Started off selling fabric remnants, which explains why the one I went to had a special counter in the fabrics area at the back of the crafts section.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on April 21, 2018, 07:55:07 AM

Good news: they have a surprisingly good model supplies and tools section, which is a permanent feature of the store, not a when-it's-gone-it's-gone thing. Humbrol paints (full range of tinlets, up to date display inc. the 'new' RLM colours), Vallejo paints both individually and in sets, spray cans, airbrush cleaner and propellant, poly cement, brushes, CA, and a good range of tools. You get the impression that their buyers know what they're doing re model-making.

Well that's worth it for a start. I've nowhere near me where I can get my sundries. Other than some art stores which can carry some Humbrol stuff I have to go to Tooting where there's a model railway shop that has some stuff. Other than that it's Hannants at Colindale. 2/12 hours each way  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Only the paints and tools in the Blaydon one.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Mossie

I've just remembered something about the Boyes store on Holderness Road in Hull.  It was the site of the Savoy cinema, where the last casualties caused by a manned bomber in Britain in WWII occurred.  There used to be a plaque outside, I'll probably take a trip later this week to see if I can take advantage of the sale and I'll check if it's still there.

It was an Ar-234 IIRC and I believe the very last casualties were from a V-2 attack, both a sign of things to come.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

That must have been one of the very few jet attacks on the UK.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit