Whif DIORAMAS You Want To Build

Started by Ify, April 20, 2018, 02:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ify

Please share your ideas, or part of an idea, you wish to build for a 'what if' diorama.
Hoping this thread will inspire modellers to further their horizons in diorama building.

Post pictures, or a description. Please NO pictures of already made dioramas.

Here is one picture I would like to build and add into a diorama. Or even as a diorama itself.

Captain: The future is in your hands, Scotty.
Scotty: But Captain, I can't change the laws of physics.

Weaver

That kinda reminds me of one of my ideas. I saw the Hasegawa kit of a research mini-sub in 1/72nd and my mind immediately went to Japanese monster films. So the dio is a Skycrane helicopter (got), possibly modified to look a bit more modern, lifting a mini-sub (got the Chinese one 'cos it's cheaper) out of the water, with the divers who attached the cables standing on top of the sub. The kicker? Well that'd be the half-dozen large tentacles reaching out of the water all around the sub and getting shot at by the divers and possibly by a gun on the helo. :wacko:

What would be really nice would be to support the helo on thin steel rods that run through the lifting cables so that there are no external struts or stands. I plan to experiment with this technique by doing a Space 1999 Eagle dio that uses the same technique, but is much easier since it doesn't involve water effects.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ify

Quote from: Weaver on April 20, 2018, 03:10:23 PM
That kinda reminds me of one of my ideas. I saw the Hasegawa kit of a research mini-sub in 1/72nd and my mind immediately went to Japanese monster films. So the dio is a Skycrane helicopter (got), possibly modified to look a bit more modern, lifting a mini-sub (got the Chinese one 'cos it's cheaper) out of the water, with the divers who attached the cables standing on top of the sub. The kicker? Well that'd be the half-dozen large tentacles reaching out of the water all around the sun and getting shot at my the divers and possibly by a gun on the helo. :wacko:

What would be really nice would be to support the helo on thin steel rods that run through the lifting cables so that there are no external struts or stands. I plan to experiment with this technique by doing a Space 1999 Eagle dio that uses the same technique, but is much easier since it doesn't involve water effects.

BRILLIANT IDEA.
Hope you go through with it.
Strangely enough, I saw those mini-subs on eBay last night. I thought they were quite small even for a 1/72 scale. I suppose that is why the are called mini  ;D.

For added stability to the chopper, you could have one, or more, of the tentacles (wire inside) wrapped around one. or more, of the cables (as you have mentioned).

zenrat

Quote from: Ify on April 20, 2018, 02:12:55 PM

Just another ordinary day on the shores of Port Phillip Bay... ;D

I have have become quite taken with this image.

Possibly not as a full blown diorama but I am have the MiG and am certainly planning to build one of my 1/72 Russian trucks as a tow vehicle and sit some ground crew in the nozzles.

Another long term plan is to build a small 1/25 workshop for photographing car models.  I've got two of the Fujimi Garage Tools sets and a fair collection of resin bits collected.  I just need to get motivated to build a "two walls and a floor" base and i'll be underway.
Plan is to have a lift off perspex lid which makes up the other two walls and the roof and keeps the dust and spiders out.
Something like this.

IMO the secret to a good workshop dio is clutter - this one could do with more
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Cheers - don't hold your breath though: I lose races to glaciers... :rolleyes:

Another one:

I noticed that Preiser's range of figures intended for railways modellers features some pretty esoteric subjects, including a fairy and a mermaid.

How to use them?

My idea centres on a twin-float biplane that's just bumped up against a gentle, sandy beach. The floatplane is a cobbled-together-in-a-backyard sort of thing, with a glowing green sphere surrounded by lots of odd pipework in place of it's engine. The prop is half-melted and several flying wires are broken and trailing. The beach is not just sandy but jeweled (craft-store glittery things) and has out-of-this-world plants beyond it's tide line. The pilot is looking up in amazement at a fairy sitting on the top wing in front of him, while the back-seater is staring down in equal amazement at a mermaid sitting on one of the floats.

Around the base of the dio is a mock quote (i.e. as if taken from a book) that reads:

"It became immediately apparent that the new engine had done more than simply make them go faster..."
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Almost all my builds are set to go into dioramas ... eventually.

One part-way there at the moment was started in about 2010/2011. There are two Imperial Ethiopian Army LAV-150's parked next to a bunker manned by mercenaries & militia in southern Sudan ca. 2001, as the Ethiopian Empire ended with Haile Selassie I's deposition in 1974 this is an obvious whif to anyone aware of North African history.

I have another even less complete whif dio for the same region & era with an Imperial Ethiopian Army M60A1 tank passing a knocked out Somali T-62.

I have a few post-apocalyptic whif dio's planned; one is a Mad Max type setting (not in that universe, though); one is of a scavenger convoy corralled for the night in a post-nuclear/post-zombie apocalypse future; one is an exploration crew from a space-borne "lifeboat" launched into a 100,000-year near-light-speed return orbit back on a post-extinction level event Earth; Oh, & one with a girl, a man, a sidecar motorbike & a monster-or-three loosely based on the idea of (the band) Abney Park's song "To the Apocalypse in Daddy's Sidecar", which I have titled "Through the Apocalypse in Daddy's Sidecar".

There are dozens more ideas. None even close to being started.

I really should get to work on some of the dio bases but, as my model building is glacial, God alone has the faintest idea of how slow my diorama building is.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Ify

Great ideas being presented here. Thanks for participating. (I wish there was a 'like' button).

Here is one which I am sure many have reproduced.
I am posting it here because a newcomer may find this a fascinating 'what if', especially since it was a great movie.

scooter

If I ever get inspired to work in plastic again, either this

or

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TomZ

I'm working on a in flight diorama of all the aircraft of the Red Arrows.
Starting of course with the Spitfire T Mk IX from 1947 and ending with the Reaper UAV that started with the Red Arrows in 2022.
As there are nine different types in all they will be forming a diamond nine display formation!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Mossie

Re the early posts, from Unicraft's website:
http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmodels/uniphot.htm

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ify

Ify

Just a friendly reminder.

As from the original post, I was hoping this thread would not become a thread showing already made dioramas.
The reason being is that there are already numerous threads about built dioramas.
Also, this thread is in the sub-forum "The Idea Bank" and not "The Ideal Bank" where some modellers may feel that they may have to compete.

dumaniac

I am a great lover of James Stuart movies - the flight of the Phoenix is a classic . I have the kit - just need the time.  Thanks for the pic.

Bernie

zenrat

They remade Flight of the Phoenix in 2004.
Anyone seen it? Is it another pointless remake?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 23, 2018, 03:00:17 AM

They remade Flight of the Phoenix in 2004.
Anyone seen it? Is it another pointless remake?

Yes x 2..................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit