Mitsubishi Mu-2S - zenrat industries

Started by zenrat, April 25, 2018, 03:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

Looks good, Mr. Zenrat!  :)

<Musing ON>
It's funny how often we come back to basics - in life as well as in modeling.  When I was a lad of ... less than 10yrs old is the best I can pin-point it ... I was in the mission headquarters in London and saw one of those professionally built desk models of a Cessna 180 on floats with a solid disc of clear plastic for the prop blades.  I hadn't built many models yet, but I remember that being a "Eureka!" moment. 

I've always wondered when some enterprizing sprog will produce a range of laser-cut thin plexiglass/perspex tri- and quatre-foils in the popular scales ...

<Musing OFF>
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

b29r

Very nice Mu-2  :thumbsup:  This enterprising sprog has tried unsuccessfully on the company laser engraver to produce such an item.  All attempts thus far look like unloved dimestore gimmicks  :unsure:  Perhaps someday.

NARSES2

Nice neat scheme mate  :thumbsup:

I'd always assumed Zenrat Industries were The Law ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

small z, small i Chris.  Trivial, but important to me.

zenrat industries are a perfectly ordinary, boring, completely un-interesting, law abiding business with absolutely no secret connections to successive governments of the People's Democratic etc.  They certainly do not have their hands on the levers of power.  I challenge you to find anyone willing to publicly say otherwise...  :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

You know, I could see this with a Hansa-like SFW.

Another beautiful job!  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 14, 2019, 07:39:07 AM
Quote from: comrade harps on July 14, 2019, 06:26:17 AM

You know, I could see this with a Hansa-like SFW.

So do it!  ;D :thumbsup:

Now I'm thinking about clearance for the props from the leading edge...
Whatever.

zenrat

Ahhh, swept forward wings.  Took me a moment.  I was thinking "why does that plane have one wing longer than the other?".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

Quote from: zenrat on July 14, 2019, 06:31:24 PM
Ahhh, swept forward wings.  Took me a moment.  I was thinking "why does that plane have one wing longer than the other?".

Swept forward and assymetric! Surely a Germany design, then?
Whatever.

Weaver

I agree it looks better with the new prop discs. :thumbsup:

The point of the FSW on the Hansa, IIRC, was to have the main wing spar passing through the fuselage behind the passenger cabin, so that there wasn't a step in the floor. Since the Mu-2 has it's wing in a bulge above the cabin, it's hard to see how FSW would be relevent to it, unless you radically changed the design.

Quote from: Scotaidh on July 08, 2019, 01:38:33 AM
Looks good, Mr. Zenrat!  :)

<Musing ON>
It's funny how often we come back to basics - in life as well as in modeling.  When I was a lad of ... less than 10yrs old is the best I can pin-point it ... I was in the mission headquarters in London and saw one of those professionally built desk models of a Cessna 180 on floats with a solid disc of clear plastic for the prop blades.  I hadn't built many models yet, but I remember that being a "Eureka!" moment. 

I've always wondered when some enterprizing sprog will produce a range of laser-cut thin plexiglass/perspex tri- and quatre-foils in the popular scales ...

<Musing OFF>

Somebody did, back in the day. Can't remember the manufacturer's name but I have seen clear prop discs, with etched prop blurs on them, in boxes of old bits at shows.

Tutorials on various different ways of making them:

https://oikofuge.com/how-to-model-rotating-propeller-discs/
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=753.0
http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/lt-alex-scribe-armatas-cona-f-18s/page/35/ (scroll down)
http://fillnsand.blogspot.com/2011/06/prop-blur-discs.html

Fiddler's Green downloadable PDF of prop disc patterns: http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/other/For-Designers/Props.htm
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on July 14, 2019, 11:00:49 PM

Since the Mu-2 has it's wing in a bulge above the cabin, it's hard to see how FSW would be relevent to it, unless you radically changed the design.

Relevance has nowt to do with it, forward swept wings just look cool.  ;D ;D ;) ;)

(I can't believe I just write 'cool' again................ :o)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 14, 2019, 11:05:46 PM

Since the Mu-2 has it's wing in a bulge above the cabin, it's hard to see how FSW would be relevent to it, unless you radically changed the design.

Relevance has nowt to do with it, forward swept wings just look cool.  ;D ;D ;) ;)

I can't believe you just writed write instead of wrote... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on July 15, 2019, 03:46:20 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 14, 2019, 11:05:46 PM

I can't believe you just writed write instead of wrote... ;)

I can!  :o

Remember I'm the World Champion Keyboard Wearer Outerer, and 'i' is right next to 'o'..................  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Air21

Another fun fact about the MU-2 is that it is used as a stand-in for F-15's and other fighters at the US Air Force Air Battle Manager School

Maybe all those "accidents" are actually shoot-downs?!  :-\