2018/2019 GB Season subjects with explanations

Started by NARSES2, April 29, 2018, 08:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right this year I have decided to post up the GB Poll subjects prior to the actual Poll it'self in order that you can have a good look at them and make your mind up (or not) in plenty of time. You will have 5 votes. It also gives me a chance to explain what the subjects will include rather than perhaps half way through the vote it'self. I feel this is a fairer way to do things.

Now I have excluded a couple of the suggestions either because I don't feel they are appropriate, are not particularly What if or are way to specific and can't be slotted in with anything else. If this includes one of yours then I apologise.

In the main however my main job has been to merge and consolidate similar ideas, or to broaden the scope of an idea. This has been done with one aim in mind and that is to give that idea a better chance of actually getting chosen. Don't forget that out of these 36 ideas only 2 will go forward to the actual G.B. season.

If you feel that I have treated your idea harshly and or unfairly or if you think that by combining it with another I have spoiled the essence of it then please PM me and I will try and explain my reasoning to you.

If you need more explanation as to what is included or excluded from the ideas then please use this thread.

I will leave this thread here for a week to 10 days and then I will lock it and open the actual Poll.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

So the ideas that will go to the Poll are -

1.The Civilian/Public Transport G.B. – To include aircraft/ships/buses/cars/trains/bikes etc. Anything used to transport either the public en masse or the individual.

2.The Racing G.B. Can include "Whacky Races" etc. 

3.The Swords into ploughshares/ploughshares into swords G.B. Civilianise or militarise something. 

4.The V/STOL/Rotary Wing/Ornithopter/Ekranoplane/Ground Effect vehicles/Heli-planes GB

5.That's just plain silly/That will never work/How the heck have you made it worse ? G.B.

6.The "Oh my, will you just look at those wings/legs" G.B. The subject must have either long or short wings and or spats. It doesn't require both but can if you are that way inclined.

7.The Pirate GB

8.The Multiplace de Combat GB. Not just aircraft – you can have multi-turreted tanks and gunboats amongst other things.

9.The Swapshop GB  Build two models, swap the OOB schemes, weapons, engines and anything else that takes your fancy.

10.The Epic G.B. Your model in real life would have to be over a minimum size and/or weight. Parameters to be decided if selected.

11.The Bash the Kits G.B. Your model must contain parts from at least two kits. Conversion sets do not count as a "kit" in this instance but can be used together with the two basic kits.

12.The Civil War GB Any civil war, real or imaginary - these tend to result in improvised equipment and so are prima whiffing turfs.

13.The "To the Rescue G.B".  Ambulance/ medivac/ flying doctor/ MASH/ water bombers  etc
14.The "Follow the Leader" G.B.  To include Assembly planes/pathfinders/advertising vehicles etc.

15.The Mobile Suit GB Gundam/ Macross/ Jaeger etc.

16.The Cartoon/Anime GB

17.The "In a Universe perhaps not too far away" G.B.  Space Freighters, Space Liners, Space Fighters, Space Racers, Space Cruisers (or any other "capital warships")

18.The "Somewhere other than Europe or North America G.B. Builds representing Asia/Pacific region/Africa/S America/Arctic/Antarctic. To include Explorers

19.The James Bond G.B. Build something inspired by James Bond. It could be an improvement or alternative to something from a real James Bond movie, or it could be from a what-if James Bond movie that you make up yourself.

20.The Great War G.B  Commemorating  the 100th Anniversary of the armistice.

21.The "What if that civilisation had never fallen ?" G.B. Build things for countries/empires  that no longer exist like the Roman Empire or the Mayans  etc. Or make up a Fictional country/empire.

22.The Maskirova /military deception GB

23.The Submersibles G.B.  Submarines, large or small/ Amphibians etc. as long as they are fully submersible (by design) can inc. civilian/personal submersibles, not just military.

24.The "Well it certainly wouldn't win any prizes in a beauty contest" G.B. Anything that looks , in your opinion, ugly/odd or just plain "off the wall". 

25.The "Zwilling, Twin Boom, Asymmetric" G.B. Build something with one of these features.

26.The Steampunk G.B.

27.The Movie Substitutes G.B. Build something that was used to represent a "real world" item in a film/t.v. series etc. You must state what your build is supposed to represent. i.e. a Me 108 is being used as a M.E. 109 in the film.

28.The Mothership G.B. Carrier aircraft and their parasites/Mistels/Orbital launch vehicles/ Amphibious assault vessels carrying hovercrafts/Motorhome that stores a small car/scooter inside, etc.

29.The "Worn out, used up, or forgotten" build G.B.  Anything that has been damaged, left sitting too long, or derelicts.

30.The Post Apocalypse GB.  Make up your own scenario ; plagues/zombies/asteroid strike/ WW3 etc.

31.The "Means of Propulsion" G.B.  Entries must have a significant change in means of propulsion: sail to steam, steam to diesel, prop to jet, jet to prop, steam to nuclear, jet to rocket, horse to horseless...smaller changes like bigger engines, blowers, etc..." are not allowed. So changes such as a bored out engine, replacing a Merlin with an Allison etc. would not count. Now Putting a Double mamba turbo prop on on a an originally Allison powered aircraft for example would be allowed. Bold parts have been appended since the original post

32.The "Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3". Entry must be a WHIF of an existing object specifically to test a proposed concept or design.  New systems, weapons, shapes, power trains, etc.

33.The "inspired by the box art" GB.  Take the box art for a kit you have or have seen somewhere else and do your own take on it, keeping as close to the original concept as possible.

34.The "Time slip" G.B. Take an historical even and move it no more than 5 years back or forwards in time. For instance what would things have looked like if WWII had started in September 1941 rather than September 1939 ?

35.The "They also served" G.B.  The guys and girls in the rear /support functions etc. Both military and civilian. So could include civil defence/home guard/maintenance etc.

36.The "Out of retirement" G.B.   Bring back into service an item that has been out of service for some time.  Items should be fully retired, i.e. not in reserve units, target tugs etc., but fully retired.  Hauled from the boneyard, museums, barn, etc.  Bringing military ships, aircraft or vehicles that were passed into civilian hands, but then recalled for "active duty" would be acceptable.     
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

This has obviously taken you a great deal of time and thought, Chris.  Thank you for your helpful and concise summary........all we need to do now is make a series of difficult choices.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Ed S

Good job Chris. Looks like some great themes. This could be a tough vote.
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

zenrat

You've done too good a job Chris because I want to vote for most of them.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Ed S on April 29, 2018, 05:05:42 PM
This could be a tough vote.

Second that, despite personal favorites. Thanks a lot for gathering all the stuff!

NARSES2

Thanks gents. Felt like I was back at work at times. Spent a lot of time with a red pen

Quote from: zenrat on April 30, 2018, 03:44:44 AM
You've done too good a job Chris because I want to vote for most of them.

To be honest that was one of the aims of the excercise or at least I wanted to ensure there were no real "no hopers" in there.

Old Wombat

So, crickets, rabbits, kangaroos &, obviously, grasshoppers should be OK, yah? :unsure: :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

loupgarou

Fantastic job! I don't envy you having had to put in a readable and sensible form all the wild suggestions received.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 30, 2018, 08:18:07 AM
So, crickets, rabbits, kangaroos &, obviously, grasshoppers should be OK, yah? :unsure: :wacko:

If you can slot them in a category certainly  ;D

I've now corrected my "deliberate" mistake  :angel:

Quote from: loupgarou on April 30, 2018, 12:19:11 PM
Fantastic job! I don't envy you having had to put in a readable and sensible form all the wild suggestions received.

Thank you sir

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

Brilliant work, bud!!!! Fantastic effort and much appreciated. This is quite comprehensive and makes things really nice as far as contemplating what I want to vote for... some of this stuff is REALLY striking my fancy so I'm looking forward to voting already... although, I will definitely be taking some time to go back through these to brainstorm.

-Sprues McDuck-

strobez

Can I assume that my suggestion that jalles only be allowed to participate with one arm tied behind his back so as to leave some hope for us mere mortals can be rolled into any of these topics?  :rolleyes:
Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-