2018/2019 GB Season subjects with explanations

Started by NARSES2, April 29, 2018, 08:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Obviously if racing wins (i'm still hoping for a late surge in Piracy) we'll have the usual civilised argument about the rules but IMO we would be best served leaving it very vague and letting the entrant decide the details of the competition.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

I'd also vote for a liberal interpretation of the themes. There might be topics which have a very narrow scope (e. g. the RAF 100th anniverary), but racing is a very open field.

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on May 14, 2018, 03:45:56 AM
(i'm still hoping for a late surge in Piracy)

That's not a very effective solution to global warming you know... ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 13, 2018, 08:19:19 PM
I don't know what Chris' take is on it but mine would be "If it's in any kind of (non-combat mission) timed race, it's racing."

Very much so, but could also included individual time trials and endurance events. So, yes, I don't see any problems with aircraft/ships etc attempting to be the first to complete a specific trip or be the quickest to do that trip
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 14, 2018, 05:55:25 AM
I don't know what Chris' take is on it but mine would be "If it's in any kind of (non-combat mission) timed race, it's racing."

Very much so, but could also included individual time trials and endurance events. So, yes, I don't see any problems with aircraft/ships etc attempting to be the first to complete a specific trip or be the quickest to do that trip

Thanks, Narses! You're lovely.  :wub:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

sandiego89

Racing didn't initially catch my eye, but then when I thought of some non conventional "races" like the daily mail transatlantic type events I had a flood of ideas.

As for tight vs loose, I do think it matters on the subject of the GB. I do admit I like tight rules for certain builds, like the Cold War should be really about the main time frame, and in my view the main NATO vs Warsaw Pact and close allies. Agree things like racing should be like their throttles: wide open.

Neat to see the interests on the poll.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 14, 2018, 05:55:25 AM

Blue Riband extended to vessels other than passenger liners, Navy Blue Riband for warships. 
:wacko:

Who's going to do the handicapping for a King's Cup type air race?  :wacko:  ;D

Fastest tank, de-mil of course, up Pike's Peak or Shelsley Walsh?  ;D

TheChronicOne

NASPLANE

National Association of Stock Plane ... Mumblemumblemumble....     :thumbsup: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Round the world scavenger hunt.  Travel by transport aircraft and at each destination the plane disgorges a ground team who rush around looking for the item they need and the clue for the next stop.  Ground team might want a number of different vehicles such as a 4WD, a rubber dinghy or small hovercraft and some dirt bikes.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tigercat

plus of course  there's  always the Alternative Wacky Races

will the evil Sir Scratchwood Services  stop the valiant racers

Ed S

I was thinking we could make it a "Racing and Record Breaking" GB and not just "Racing".
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.